Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Whistling noise from the engine bay after sitting outside in the rain or coldstart

Old 11-29-09, 07:51 PM   #1
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Arrow Whistling noise from the engine bay after sitting outside in the rain or coldstart

I have this weird whistling noise from the engine bay that happens when I leave my car parked outside after a rainstorm or outside overnight (morning coldstart). It's fine if it's warm outside or dry.

It's almost like the belts are whining/whistling? The noise becomes louder when I depress the gas pedal as well.

Any ideas as to what I'm dealing with?

My best guess at this point is I need my belts replaced but I thought I'd ask everyone before I see my dealer. My RX is at just over 80k
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Vantage_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-09, 09:09 PM   #2
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Yes, it's most likely the belts, but doesn't indicate a problem per se. They do the same thing to me on occasion after rain or even after a cold night (because they contract in the latter case and are slippery in the first). I replaced my belts around 82K or so (more convenient to do so at the time I did it and also did the water pump).
Old 12-10-09, 08:12 PM   #3
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Good to know. I meant 80 000km btw so it sounds like I have some time to spare before replacing the pump/belts!

Dealer said it's nothing major and that my belts aren't really due to be replaced quite yet.

Thanks
Vantage_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 04:33 PM   #4
Shayy
Driver

Shay Pritchett Shayforever9000

Okay so i'm bringing this thread up because i'm having this problem. It just stormed insanely in missouri and my car was in the parking lot at work. I noticed today(a day later) that my engine is whistling, and i can tell it's the belt by the sound. Does it go away after a few days or so?
Shayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 06:17 PM   #5
kidlex93
Rookie

yeah its the belts. My mechanic fixed it on the spot in about a minute by tightening some bolts and now it hasn't done it for over 2 weeks. It used to every time it rained or even some light dew in the mornings. But even after a heavy down pour nothing
kidlex93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 06:17 PM