RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 07:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Continued to show more photos. If you don't have a socket wrench you can turn your wrench perpendicular and tighten as shown in the last photo.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1527.jpg   DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1528.jpg   DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1529.jpg   DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1530.jpg  
Old 11-02-09, 08:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Put the speaker back on (3 screws) and reattach its electrical connector.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1536.jpg  
Old 11-02-09, 08:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Only a few more photos to go.

Now, HIGHLY PREFERABLE with another person, one person should pull the window upwards while you raise up to a point where you can get the 6 screws that hold the rail to the door in place.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1523.jpg   DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1534.jpg  
Old 11-02-09, 08:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Finally, get at least one or two of the 6 screws in. I found the ones circled the to be easier. Your partner should still be holding the window in place while you do this with BOTH hands or the window will fall abruptly. Then it is a simple matter to finish the job of putting the remaining screw in without someone holding the window.

After that proceed again to look at the door panel DIY thread to know the steps that were involved putting it on, so you know how you need to put it back on. The thread again is here, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...moval-diy.html
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Door Window Removal and Window Rail Window Motor Removal-img_1535.jpg  
Old 02-16-10, 06:15 PM
jimbonuttz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this may have been my issue so I tried this today, got everything out cleaned it and put it back in and the window still didn't work. I was pissed so I took everything back out to test the window motor I hooked it up directly to power and the motor went up and down just fine I checked all the fuses I knew of under the hood as well as behind the coin tray holder on the driver side and all fuses were okay.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it may be? Is there a relay I should be looking for or something else that may be causing this problem? Every window works besides the front passenger window.
Old 02-16-10, 09:31 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

There is pinch protection built in the motor (I think). When you test the motor by itself the motor does not see the load. The channel for the glass may be pinching the glass too much or the protection circuit may be hyperactive.

Salim
Old 02-17-10, 07:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Check your battery as well.
Old 08-29-12, 11:49 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Now, here's an important trick in case your window is stuck and the motor is dead and you at least want the window in the up position. Keep in mind the railing/regulator costs about $90 (you can find regulator options in the $30 to $50 range on Amazon) with the window motor for this side costing in the $200 to $300 range, not cheap, but used ones can in the low $100s if you look around or even a remanufactured option where you send in the motor.

What you do is remove the three screws shown below.

Then move this piece in the other direction from the way you found it and then rescrew the 3 bolts. That should keep you sitting pretty with a window that will stay put and up until you can properly fix the window.
Hey Lex,

about this part, our RX300 has its front passenger window already down and stuck there.
If I just simply take off the door interior panel and get access to these 3 screws. Do I have to do anything else extra to at least put the windows back up? I assume once I loosen these 3 screws, I can rotate that piece and that's how the window will go up and the tighten the screw to hold it in place?

One more question, how do I know if its the regular or the motor that's bad?

2 out of 4 windows are having problem now. I wish car manufacturer could have design some sort of manual way of rolling the windows back up.
Old 08-30-12, 06:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wing0
Hey Lex,

about this part, our RX300 has its front passenger window already down and stuck there.
If I just simply take off the door interior panel and get access to these 3 screws. Do I have to do anything else extra to at least put the windows back up? I assume once I loosen these 3 screws, I can rotate that piece and that's how the window will go up and the tighten the screw to hold it in place?

One more question, how do I know if its the regular or the motor that's bad?

2 out of 4 windows are having problem now. I wish car manufacturer could have design some sort of manual way of rolling the windows back up.
I don't know exactly what the specifics of your situation are (i.e., the actual problem) to know how far you need to go. Is the motor not working?

A bad regulator issue would generally be it does not slide right or a part being bent. In most cases, the motor is the issue.

When I had the issue with my motor I had to remove all the bolts that held the regulator in place to the door frame. Keep in mind the motor sits on the regulator so that does not need to be removed. I then 'expanded' the regulator to push the window upward and then held the window in place while I put the bolts back on holding the regulator to the door frame. That way I could keep the window in the upright position until I could get replacement parts.

BTW, two days ago, one of the two little plastic pieces that goes on to the bottom of the window cracked. I will have to fix it this weekend. This is no replacement part available at the dealer (you technically would have to buy the whole window to fix this), but I plan to do a work around and post here once I am done.
Old 08-30-12, 11:30 AM
wing0
Intermediate

I doubt it's the regulator that's bad then.
In this case, I only saw the car when the window is fully down and I tried for an hour yesterday trying to get it to go up.

I can hear a click in the window controller on both driver or the passenger side, but either it is not sending the right signal to the motor or the motor is dead. I can't tell and don't know what I should be looking for.

I took a look at the guide to remove the door panel and may have to attempt that. Since parts up here in Canada is generally more expensive. I want to just put the window back up to avoid theft and rain. If not, I guess I'll put some film on top then...
Old 08-30-12, 05:48 PM
wing0
Intermediate

So I got bored and I took out the master switch and plug it into the passenger side...low and behold....window came back up...

I just replaced the master switch a few months ago, guess what I'm doing now...
Old 09-02-12, 07:57 PM
bluebug
Driver School Candidate

I'm experiencing a similar problem- drivers side window gets stuck open and I hear a clicking noise from the switch. I tried using the key in door to auto close/lock and I hear the same clicking (except all the other windows close normally).

I just replaced the motor with another used motor. Is it safe to assume its the window switch?
Old 01-12-13, 03:24 PM
robosch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I don't know exactly what the specifics of your situation are (i.e., the actual problem) to know how far you need to go. Is the motor not working?

A bad regulator issue would generally be it does not slide right or a part being bent. In most cases, the motor is the issue.

When I had the issue with my motor I had to remove all the bolts that held the regulator in place to the door frame. Keep in mind the motor sits on the regulator so that does not need to be removed. I then 'expanded' the regulator to push the window upward and then held the window in place while I put the bolts back on holding the regulator to the door frame. That way I could keep the window in the upright position until I could get replacement parts.

BTW, two days ago, one of the two little plastic pieces that goes on to the bottom of the window cracked. I will have to fix it this weekend. This is no replacement part available at the dealer (you technically would have to buy the whole window to fix this), but I plan to do a work around and post here once I am done.
Lexmex, thank you for all your great contributions. This thread and others have helped me a lot. I followed your tip and locked my window in the up position. Will spend money on parts some time in the future. At least my window is up again. Took a bit of trial and error to get the motor in the correct position. Shoot for a 90 degree angle between the bracket holding the gear and the window rail.
Old 08-15-17, 04:32 AM
aeroelasti
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I need to replace my whole rear door shell as I crushed it into a cast iron post box. Has anyone done the rear windows motor removal before? It's an RX mk2 by the way, 2004. Thanks.