RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY: Replacing air/fuel sensor

Old 04-01-11, 12:41 PM
GlennB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just changed both Bank 1 Sensor 1 and Bank 2 Sensor 1, took me only 1 hour. Took longer to get the electrical connections released as the area is really tight for someone with large hands. Actually found it easier to uncouple the electrical connection from the bottom on B1S1, just twisted the wiring harness downwards and came out easy. I went to the Navy base auto hobby shop to do it, used the lift and never even needed the PB Blaster, seems the heat from driving there and getting it up on the lift was enough. My RX300 is a 2002 with 124,000 miles on it. The posts here are really very helpful and saved me over $700.00 doing it myself instead of the dealership or local import auto shop, thanks again
Glenn
Old 04-29-11, 08:17 PM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Corolla,

It was really easy! Thanks for the great pics and helpful tips. I replaced my rear manifold a/f sensor (bank 1 sensor 1). It was extremely easy because of the good photos and the info you provided which explained how to release the connector - the hardest part. It would have been much harder if I had to contemplate the release by feel.

I sprayed a shot of Liquid Wrench, let it soak for a few minutes, and lightly tapped the sensor threads a few times using a flat-head screwdriver and hammar. I used my 7/8" oxygen sensor socket (If you own a Ford it's pretty likely you already have one of these... with a slot for the sensor lead), a 3/8" drive ratchet, and a piece of 2" plastic pipe about 15" long for a little leverage, and was shocked that the sensor came loose with ease.

Like the other posts, the Denso 234-9009 a/f sensor was EXACTLY the same as the OE, including all markings and connector.

Let's see if that fixes the CEL error code.

Thanks for the detail!
Old 06-06-11, 08:47 PM
Hatchman
Rookie

I used the amazon tool and also had a problem with it spreading open due to the slot in it. Once over the wire lead, I used a couple of heavy duty zip ties wrapped around the socket and pulled them tight to band it together to keep it from splaying open. Worked well enough to get mine off.
Old 06-06-11, 08:48 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatchman
I used the amazon tool and also had a problem with it spreading open due to the slot in it. Once over the wire lead, I used a couple of heavy duty zip ties wrapped around the socket and pulled them tight to band it together to keep it from splaying open. Worked well enough to get mine off.
Next time, try the hose clamp.

Salim
Old 06-06-11, 08:52 PM
Hatchman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hatchman
and getting a hose clamp on it to help strengthen it from bending open is a great idea.
Already gave you props for that.
Old 07-14-11, 08:43 PM
salimshah

it was finally my turn to do Bank1 sensor.

Ordered the denso part through a->zon, paid a tad over $100.

Sprayed the sensor with Liquid Wrench

Pulled the connector off. 15 min effort.

Best tool to use is Box wrench 22mm with offset. Threaded the connector through the box-wrench [22mm opening is larger than the plastic connector]. I was expecting that I will tap, spray, rest, loop. First attempt and the sensor moved. Well, it came off easily for me.

I did buy the O2 sensor socket from HarborFreight for about $6.00 only to torque the new sensor in.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Salim
Old 07-17-11, 11:51 AM
RaphaelT
Driver School Candidate

Hey Corolla,
Thanks so much for the great pics and instructions. I also used the tool from amazon and also bought some penetrating oil from amazon. The pics made the job easy... Many thanks. I replaced all 3 sensors and took about 2.0 hrs moving slowly. Many thanks again!
Raphael
Old 08-23-11, 12:35 PM
Mut
Rookie

Is it possible to access and replace the Bank 1 Sensor 1 without lifting the car? Can I do it with just a jack, or do I need to take it to a shop?
Old 08-23-11, 05:16 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
Is it possible to access and replace the Bank 1 Sensor 1 without lifting the car? Can I do it with just a jack, or do I need to take it to a shop?
A floor jack is fine, of course get some jack stands under it too.
Old 08-24-11, 01:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
I was able to to it without jacks, but it requires having the right tools to get enough leverage to get it out.
Old 08-25-11, 09:51 AM
Mut
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I was able to to it without jacks, but it requires having the right tools to get enough leverage to get it out.
I don't have very many tools so I plan on buying one... What kind of tool did you use? The sensor was on Amazon for like $87, so I had to get it because I'm already expecting the sensor to be dead.

I'm going to give this DIY a go once the sensor arrives. I'll follow-up with a trip report.
Old 08-25-11, 10:37 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Mut
I don't have very many tools so I plan on buying one... What kind of tool did you use? The sensor was on Amazon for like $87, so I had to get it because I'm already expecting the sensor to be dead.

I'm going to give this DIY a go once the sensor arrives. I'll follow-up with a trip report.
See my post, which will be #96 this very thread.

Rise the RX or not, depends upon your body-size and arm length. I have long arms and with the RX on low profile Ramps I had no problem moving around underneath, but reaching for the connector from below was bit difficult.

Salim
Old 08-25-11, 10:45 AM
Mut
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
See my post, which will be #96 this very thread.

Rise the RX or not, depends upon your body-size and arm length. I have long arms and with the RX on low profile Ramps I had no problem moving around underneath, but reaching for the connector from below was bit difficult.

Salim
D'oh it was a few posts above. Sorry about that. If I can't muscle this out, then I've been wasting my time at the gym. I'll pick that 22mm box wrench with off set.
Old 08-25-11, 11:48 AM
salimshah

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-32042.html

salim
Old 08-29-11, 03:23 AM
Hatchman
Rookie

I just rolled mine up onto some ramps. Too easy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Replacing air/fuel sensor