RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil strainer and filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 05:02 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil strainer and filter

Hi guys, I have a 2003 IS300 and I use is300.net and clublexus.com to get all my valuable DIY information. I recently started doing all the more difficult DIY's on my mothers 2001 RX300 and so I signed up for this forum.

I went to the lexus dealership to get a bulb and decided to pick up some components for my transmission fluid replacement DIY. In the DIY you have to buy a new transmission pan gasket and oil strainer and filter. The dealership I went to quoted me 15 dollars for the gasket and 55 dollars for the oil strainer+filter. Do those seem reasonable prices to yall? I do not trust dealerships because they are known for being stealerships.
Old 09-09-09, 07:30 PM
frankjames
Driver

http://www.colonialtoyotaparts.com/
can buy genuine toyota/lexus parts from the above site. use the telephone number and they will look it up for you. Will cost you roughly half the cost from here I would say. If you have lexus part number goes a lot quicker. I just called the dealership to get part numbers and called the toll free number on Colonial's website.

Got a lot of parts here. Had eveything in stock or could get in one day.

Last edited by frankjames; 09-09-09 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 01:54 AM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man, I will give them a call in the morning. +rep.
Old 09-10-09, 08:38 AM
frankjames
Driver

Give an update on cost....hope I could save you some loot.
Old 09-10-09, 09:58 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one thing i might add, look to see if it is the wire screen filter or if it is the paperish filter, i made the mistake of tossing mine but theres a lot of guys on here that think the wire one is better for various reasons and even if you dont want to take the time to clean it im sure someone on here would be willing to buy it. just a thought

also, ive done the pan drop, its not bad
Old 09-10-09, 10:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
one thing i might add, look to see if it is the wire screen filter or if it is the paperish filter, i made the mistake of tossing mine but theres a lot of guys on here that think the wire one is better for various reasons and even if you dont want to take the time to clean it im sure someone on here would be willing to buy it. just a thought

also, ive done the pan drop, its not bad
Ada-Boy Womp,some good advice their.
Old 09-11-09, 02:00 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Finally got a chance to call Colonial Toyota Parts. They are selling the toyota transmission pan gasket (toyota part# 35168-21010) for 8 dollars plus 1 dollar for shipping. The also carry the oil strainer and filter (#35330-06010), but it has to be special ordered since they don't have it in stock. It came out to be 33 dollars plus 10 dollars for shipping. This is the same oil strainer and filter that goes in the Toyota Highlander and it has the metal screen filter not paper.

At the my local lexus dealership it is 15 dollars for the oil pan gasket and 55 dollars for the oil strainer and filter(special order and it contains a metal filter). However, the guy in the parts department told me they dont have the oil strainer/filter in stock b/c it does not need to be replaced just cleaned with water. They do special order it if the customer wants a replacement.
**Note: I called two toyota dealerships to find out how much those parts cost and it came out to the same price for both. So not everything can be acquired from a toyota dealership for a cheaper price.

Finally, for both parts its about 60 dollars if I order from Colonial and 70ish dollars if bought them from a lexus/toyota dealership. For me, it think its better to just drive a few miles to the nearest lexus/toyota dealership and get both parts for ~10 dollars more than having to wait almost a week for shipping to get the parts cheaper from Colonial for ~10 dollars less. Also, if I have any problems with the parts I can just take it back to the dealership rather than having to deal with all the hassle of shipping the parts back to Colonial in Rhode Island.

The representative at Colonial was very knowledgeable and professional and I LOVED his rhode island accent. LOL In my current situation the dealership is a better alternative but in the future I will definitely use Colonial for my parts. I hope this serves as valuable information for some people.
Old 09-11-09, 04:01 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Please post when you get the strainer, I ordered and what came in was a paper medium filter....Will be real interested in what you get.
Old 09-11-09, 05:36 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

You ordered from colonial thomas? I asked the colonial representative if the strainer had a metal or paper filter and he said it contained a metal one. I wont know if it actually does have a metal filter since I opted to buy the strainer/filter from the toyota dealership instead.

I dont know much about oil strainers but from what I can see there is a beige color felt like pad of some sort inside the strainer. Is that supposed to be the metal strainer or is that paper? The guy at the parts department at the toyota dealership said it has a metal filter. So I am now confused like you thomas. lol

I can post a pic if someone more knowledgeable on this subject wants to chime in.
Old 09-11-09, 07:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Here's the one with the metal screen in the first photo, and the second shows one with the paper filter.
Attached Thumbnails Oil strainer and filter-img_0799.jpg   Oil strainer and filter-img_0677.jpg  
Old 09-11-09, 07:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Two more photos of the metal screen one.
Attached Thumbnails Oil strainer and filter-img_0798.jpg   Oil strainer and filter-img_0800.jpg  
Old 09-11-09, 08:36 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Ya mine looks like the paper one you posted a pic of. Except mines beige color and yours is red. Does this mean that the toyota guy lied to me???

Should I just return this and re use my factory metal filter? Is it possible to take the metal filter out of the factory strainer?

Last edited by galletgun; 09-11-09 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-11-09, 08:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by galletgun
Ya mine looks like the paper one you posted a pic of. Except mines beige color and yours is red. Does this mean that the toyota guy lied to me???
Probably not. The filter I used in mine I also got at a Toyota dealership and it was also for the 2001-03 Highlander (since they use the same transmission).
Old 09-11-09, 09:07 PM
galletgun
Driver School Candidate

Hmmmm, well I will try and post a pic tonight.
Old 09-11-09, 09:54 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

What I have found is the dealership remember the metal strainer and assume (yep) theirs are still the same. Both Toyota and Lexus thought the same in my dealerships and what they got was a paper medium replacement. By the Way that is what is in my car, and it works....

Quick Reply: Oil strainer and filter