RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rx300 2001 Exhaust Flexpipe Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 02:19 PM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx300 2001 Exhaust Flexpipe Help!

Hello i think I previously mentioned a noisy motor on my RX300 a few weeks ago and I found out that it was the flexpipe that seems to be a common problem with these.. I received the pipe two days ago from RockAuto and it was an exact fit. If you do change yours make sure you order the gaskets because
they are not included and mine were in pieces so i had to run out and get them.. I am writing here because after installing the flexpipe I started the car and the noise was gone BUT i noticed some smoke coming up for a little while and I wanted to know if this is normal. I know that it is a brand new pipe
but I wanted to make sure before I do anything else.. Thanks all for any help..
Old 08-29-09, 05:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by elacesar
Hello i think I previously mentioned a noisy motor on my RX300 a few weeks ago and I found out that it was the flexpipe that seems to be a common problem with these.. I received the pipe two days ago from RockAuto and it was an exact fit. If you do change yours make sure you order the gaskets because
they are not included and mine were in pieces so i had to run out and get them.. I am writing here because after installing the flexpipe I started the car and the noise was gone BUT i noticed some smoke coming up for a little while and I wanted to know if this is normal. I know that it is a brand new pipe
but I wanted to make sure before I do anything else.. Thanks all for any help..
Smoke coming up from the flexpipe or somewhere else?

If I have any kind of some coming from the exhaust piping I usually run my hand just a bit of above the pipes (usually at joints or welded areas) and see where hot air is coming out.
Old 08-29-09, 05:37 PM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

I took a good look at the pipes and i dont see anything now.. I just want to mention that i used similar gaskets and not original lexus gaskets. I am hoping its okay but i will post back tomorrow if there is a problem
Old 08-29-09, 08:11 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

The first time any pipe heats up [and the exhaust does heat up ], any residue, even grease from handling, ends up as smoke.

Salim
Old 08-30-09, 05:11 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim and thats what i thought but i wanted to make sure.. I am still getting exhaust fumes so i will have to order the lexus gaskets to make sure there is a good seal.. Thanks again
Old 08-30-09, 08:50 AM
elacesar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lexmex i did what you said and i found an exhaust leak at the two flanges that are joined with the spring bolts..