RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-02, 08:46 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted I never thought to push the issue - I guess if I weren't 20 I would on more occasions at the dealer. I always feel that when I tell the dealer something isn't right that they don't really care - or believe me - and won't really do anything to fix it.

Examples - popping sound in sunroof, rattling on passneger side door from stereo bass tones, etc.

My rear hatch door doesn't open as quick as it should unless the weather is warm (mid to upper 80's). Anyone else have that problem? Also have a whining sound in the steering wheel when I turn it. Need to have that looked at...again.

Last edited by LexRX; 05-13-02 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-13-02, 09:10 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX
rattling on passneger side door from stereo bass tones
Same thing here, is it like a mild rattle like toward the back of the door (closest to the back of the car) on the top???
Old 05-13-02, 09:23 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by LeXusBoy

Same thing here, is it like a mild rattle like toward the back of the door (closest to the back of the car) on the top???
I think I have narrowed it to the leather covered portion of the door. I can put my hand on the area circled below and it will stop. That's where you were talking about, right?
Attached Thumbnails RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise-door.jpg  
Old 05-13-02, 09:33 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by LexRX

I think I have narrowed it to the leather covered portion of the door. I can put my hand on the area circled below and it will stop. That's where you were talking about, right?
You could be right I was talking about right above it were ur sticker is.
Old 01-17-03, 10:26 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can report that the helicopter wind noise is still present and VERY annoying in the RX-300 2003. Guess Lexus didn't care to take care of that problem, or couldn't perhaps?

Also, I believe there is much more wind noise across the full face of the front windshield and even on the front door glass than there was in the '99. This is amazing to me because better glass IMO would probably make the condition tolerable. The rest of the car is so great and quiet that the frontal wind noise really is annoying.

Does anyone know whether the glass is thinner on the '03 or is a lower grade laminate that would pass more noise? Is thicker glass like the LS available?

How would you be able to detect a lower grade of glass?
Old 01-17-03, 10:36 AM
HowieNJ
Rookie

It has happened on all 3 SUV's I have had. Isuzu Rodeo 1997 , Dodge Durango 2000, and also on the RX300 2002. Always have to crack a front window to stop the noise and the head exploding pressure.

Last edited by HowieNJ; 01-17-03 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-17-03, 05:59 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: RX 300 Helicopter Wind Noise

Originally posted by Daddy-O
Please tell me I'm not alone...There has to be a solution for this. If you've not encountered this issue, please try this next time you go somewhere.

Walk your RX 300 up to highway speed (55-75 MPH). Make sure your windows are all up.

Roll down your rear driver's side window (only) all the way. Hear anything unusual?

Close that window and then roll down the passenger's side rear window (only). Again, Hear anything unusual?

My RX makes a helicopter-like-pressure noise. It's almost like my ears are being boxed.

If I crack another window while the rear window is all the way down, the noise ceases.

Again, please tell me I'm not alone.

Thanks,
Yeah I know what you are talking about. It actually hurts my ears.

But I have experienced the same in other cars, not just RX300.

It is basically turbulence. With windows up the air flows smoothly around the car. An open window disturbs the air flow and creates turbulence with little pockets of low pressure and little pockets of high pressure. These pockets are constantly born and constantly die. Depending on the size and shape of the opened window and the certain "angle of atack", the resonance is created.
Old 01-17-03, 06:10 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by salimshah

That was funny. May be you can sell it to NASA.

It is an artifact of having a tight cabin. Would I prefer a designed hole in the cabin to eliminate the buffetting at a perticular speed? My answer is "No" {it adds to the price if done properly, or you get outside noise at all speeds}.

Once the surprize is over ... if one has to open one window, what is wrong with opening the other a slight bit.

Enjoy the vehicle.

Salim
they should improve the design. As soon as one of the windows is opened all other windows should be slightly lowered too automatically.
Old 01-17-03, 06:13 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Well, I started this thread, and now here's a follow-up.

1000mi. checkup: I took the service tech out on a test drive and lowered the rear window @55mph. He just shook his head, grinned sheepishly and said "Painful, ain't it?".

He went on to tell me "It happens in lots of cars...It's part of the aerodynamics of the RX 300, It's been this way since they came out..You'll have to speak with your service rep about it."

I returned to the dealership and explained the problem to my service rep and he looked away guiltily, smiled nervously and sputtered, "It happens in lots of cars...It's part of the aerodynamics of the RX 300, It's been this way since they came out". I was assured, however, that "we will resolve this to your satisfaction".

We're now escalating this through the service manager, but I explained to my service rep that I don't want to hear anymore "It happens in lots of cars...It's part of the aerodynamics of the RX 300, It's been this way since they came out".

I expect that I'll be blown off about this as I pursue it, but the look on their faces is priceless.

I don't think anyone can fix it.
Old 01-17-03, 06:17 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

The thread continues...

Well, I've now dealt with the Service Manager and the Customer Satisfaction "Manager". It's interesting to note how similar all the stories/explanations have sounded from everyone from the Service Technician up.

Phrases like "it's a design characteristic", "it's not just the Lexus", "because the car's just so tight". Also interesting is their total lack of knowledge regarding anyone else escalating this issue.

I maintain that:
- it's a dangerous condition, as it only occurs at highway speeds
- it's embarassing
- it's not a design characteristic, it's a design flaw
- it's disappointing to pay this much money for this kind of problem
- Lexus "refreshed" the RX in '01 but did not address this

Will I get satisfaction? Dunno. Do they squirm? Definitely!

I now get to speak with "someone from Lexus". Woohoo.

Look out Torrance, California!
But what do you think they can do? They did not design it.

And they cannot re-design it in their shop.

The most they could do is writing a letter to Lexus saying that many owners are copmlaining about this booming resonance. And maybe Lexus will find a way to design it our of the next version of RX. But that would mean changing the shape of the car, changing the shape and size of windows, etc. And testing, testing, testing in wind tunnel.
Old 01-17-03, 06:21 PM
ruski
Driver School Candidate

Here is a great explanation:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/Helmholtz.html
Old 01-17-03, 08:30 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh, that link was already posted in this thread last april.

This was my first post and the first thread I started, and
seeing as we're repeating ourselves, I'll close it.