RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rx300 with erratic shifting between gears. please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-09, 06:18 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh should I go ahead and change oil also after the valve change lexmex?
Old 08-16-09, 06:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tuanle785
oh should I go ahead and change oil also after the valve change lexmex?
I don't know your oil change history or what the previous people did as far as mileage on the changes or what they were using. When in doubt, change it out. If you can get your hands on the larger K&N HP-2009 oil filter that would be useful. I like Castrol 0W30, AutoZone and Pepboys have it. If not, something like a Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 might be easier to get or if you have someplace that sells Amsoil, there 0W30 is an outstanding oil.
Attached Thumbnails rx300 with erratic shifting between gears. please help-img_1119.jpg   rx300 with erratic shifting between gears. please help-img_2884.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-17-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-17-09, 04:48 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

ok so i ordered my part it be here in the morning but as i drove the rx to the dealership to order the part. I got to think. maybe u was right it may not be the tranny it may be the motor jerking even tho it feels like tranny. then i got to thinking. i read that there was an engine sludging issue. could this be a reason for the bad valve. and where is the bank 2 valve located? i know u said towards the back but if you got pics that be great.. thanks
Old 08-17-09, 08:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

ok so i ordered my part it be here in the morning but as i drove the rx to the dealership to order the part. I got to think. maybe u was right it may not be the tranny it may be the motor jerking even tho it feels like tranny. then i got to thinking. i read that there was an engine sludging issue. could this be a reason for the bad valve. and where is the bank 2 valve located? i know u said towards the back but if you got pics that be great.. thanks
See photo for where bank 1 and bank 2 are in relation to each other.

To really check any sludging you'd have to get at least the front valve cover off to truly take a look. The last time I took my front valve cover off is shown in the second photo.
Attached Thumbnails rx300 with erratic shifting between gears. please help-img_0968.jpg   rx300 with erratic shifting between gears. please help-img_2370.jpg  
Old 08-20-09, 06:51 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

Ok lexmex well got new valve put in and it does exactly same thing codes 1656 instantly after rested. so I had it at another shop and they gave up, i'm gonna take it to toyota dealer tomorow cause the lex dealer is 30 mins away but this time I know that the check engine light was removed and will tell them, I didnt know when i took to lex dealer and they probably assumed it was tranny since no light was present but I am alot more informed now and hopefully they can help, I all out of ideas and check everything I could think of. unless any other members got a clue or advice I gots to try dealership again. I very confused becasue its feels like a tranny because of the jerking but could well be the engine also because of the code 1656 either way I need to get to the source of 1656 then if it the tranny then it is what it is.
Old 08-20-09, 06:54 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

oh u think sludging would have an effect on the 1656 code? makes sense but its going to dealer tomorrow either way so they can look at it while i'm outta town.
Old 08-20-09, 07:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The dealer will have more sophisticated diagnostic equipment to check out the vehicle.

If it were me, I still would check underneath the valve cover to see if there is sludge under there. There could also be an electrical fault to that valve on the connection, but then I'd still change out the valve (since there could have been something in the valve that made it go awry to begin with).

I take it you also cleaned out the little filter that goes underneath that valve.
Old 08-20-09, 08:16 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

yes i did clean out the filter when you first told me about it. i'm gonna try the valve cover next. what should i do if i find sludge? oil just got changed and it looks like new after driving about 300 miles on it. would the sludge make it jerk? the dealer cant get me in till monday but this one shop that is well known for good work in this town can look at it tomorrow i'm gonna try the valve cover tonite and if its clean ill just drop off to them and if they cant figure it then it has to go to toyota monday and after that co-parts or craigslist! too bad its a very nice car and the carfax said it was maintained at dealer all its life
Old 08-20-09, 08:36 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

Oh LexMex one thing I do want to mention is when rx is cold or sitting for a while and I start out driving. it shifts perfect! just like it should and after it warms up sometimes 20 miles or so depending on how hot it is outside then it starts to act up, like i said I just got it so i'm discovering things as I start to diagnose. so I know for a fact becasue of this , its not tranny right? I just noticed that right now as i took for a drive down the street and it shifted just fine but i know after a while it will. i'm doing valve cover check right now and will take for another spin tonite. should i find sludge should i just seafoam the **** out of it? or how should i go about to get rid of it?

Last edited by Lexmex; 08-21-09 at 06:56 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-20-09, 08:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

well since you said it only shifts hard when its hot maybe try installing another tranny oil cooler i think its called a intercooler dont quote me on that but installing an additional tranny cooler should do the trick. And maybe do a transmission flush and i think the shifting will go perfectly. But def. dont sell the RX it's a great car.
Old 08-20-09, 09:05 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

ok so i just checked under the valve cover and let me just say for the record i had my fingers crossed expecting for the worst! but it was very clean under there just like urs lexmex. i unplugged the battery and about to take a drive but if noting else dealer will have to fix it. thanks for everything anymore tips will greatly be appericated.
Old 08-20-09, 09:08 PM
tuanle785
Driver School Candidate

hyper I dont think its the tranny but i'm gonna do a flush when i get back into town. the code 1656 is an issue I need to figure out anyhow and self diagnose has it limits I think I need a tech with a laptop hooked up to it, i'm sure its electrical by now but tranny flush is in the works as soon as I get back and they tell me what the hell is causing this 1656. ill be sure to post my results
Old 08-21-09, 05:48 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

hyper I dont think its the tranny but i'm gonna do a flush when i get back into town.
I'd think long and hard about this - too many cases of peoples' transmissions dying after a flush. Stirring all that muck in there doesn't seem to be a good thing! Three or four drain and fills appears to be the way to go.
Old 08-21-09, 06:44 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also suggest staying away from a flush. My trans died shortly after a flush. Maybe it was going to die anyway but in hindsight, I wish I never had the flush done. I would first troubleshoot the problem you have before causing more.
It sure would be interesting to know the history of this car. I guess someone tried to fix it before pulling the CEL bulb and dumping it. Did they cause the problem during some other maintenance, like a timing belt change? It is just over 90k and there is a possibility the belt was changed at 90K when due. I guess we will never know. You may find the link below an interesting read. A guy with a GS had the same code after a timing belt change. Turned out to be a missing tooth on the crank pulley. If nothing else, at least the link has some troubleshooting procedures.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-service.html
Old 08-21-09, 07:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Oh LexMex one thing I do want to mention is when rx is cold or sitting for a while and I start out driving. it shifts perfect! just like it should and after it warms up sometimes 20 miles or so depending on how hot it is outside then it starts to act up, like i said I just got it so i'm discovering things as I start to diagnose. so I know for a fact becasue of this , its not tranny right? I just noticed that right now as i took for a drive down the street and it shifted just fine but i know after a while it will. i'm doing valve cover check right now and will take for another spin tonite. should i find sludge should i just seafoam the **** out of it? or how should i go about to get rid of it?
Don't run seafoam through it, that's a little bit stronger stuff than needed.

The flush I like is lubro moly engine flush, http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/.../usa_2037.html (Napa Auto Parts has carried this).

But again, your issue may be an electrical one, but if you don't know the oil change history of this vehicle, as I mentioned earlier the Castrol 0W30 and the K&N HP-2009 oil filter is a good option.

The electrical connections between the OCV valve and ECM can be checked (and hopefully the dealer will do this).

Quick Reply: rx300 with erratic shifting between gears. please help