RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

pcv valve

Old 08-09-09, 08:10 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pcv valve

Where is the pvc valve located and how do you clean it? If it is dirty, does this accelerate the engine sludge issue? I am about to bring it in and get the timing belt changed. I am thinking about paying Lexus while it is in the shop to drop the pan and check the oil pickup for sludge or pull the valve cover. Or what ever they have to do to check or sludge. I have a 2001 with 86,000 miles.
Old 08-10-09, 12:48 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by powerslide
Where is the pvc valve located and how do you clean it? If it is dirty, does this accelerate the engine sludge issue? I am about to bring it in and get the timing belt changed. I am thinking about paying Lexus while it is in the shop to drop the pan and check the oil pickup for sludge or pull the valve cover. Or what ever they have to do to check or sludge. I have a 2001 with 86,000 miles.
Powerslide-The PCV valve is on the passenger side on the rear valve cover. I personally would replace rather than clean, they're cheap. I wouldn't advise buying a Fram though, matter of fact I wouldn't advise buying anything Fram. Just don't trust their stuff. They were a good company at one time, but like all too many, IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY. It is important that the PCV is clean and works freely. I think it is a good idea to check the oil pick-up screen. It's easy (the #2 pan is easy to remove to check it) and if you saw it and how small the opening is, you'd understand why I say that. Removing the front valve cover is also important to check for sludge, but unless the sludge is really bad and has blocked the return holes, the pick-up screen is even more important in my opinion. I would want to personally be there to see what it looks like though. One of the posters now, involving an ES was told there was no sludge, whereas the pictures he posted prove otherwise, beyond any doubt. Good Luck!
Old 08-10-09, 04:44 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The location of the PCV valve didn't change, but it looks different in the 2001-2003 models than it did in the 1999-2000 ones. Let us know how it looks. I checked mine a few years ago and it looked great.
Old 08-10-09, 06:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by powerslide
Here's a photo, it's the area code58 mentioned.

And as bob2200 mentioned, it's going to look different, it's actually metal on the 2001-2003 models (see second photo below). It's also going to be set at a 45 degree angle instead of flat as it is here on my 99.

This photo is one I took from rockauto.com where they had the piece available for $4.11 for the 2001, it's listed under the emission subcategory and it's a BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0450345.

However, verify what you see before you order.
Attached Thumbnails pcv valve-pcv.jpg   pcv valve-pcv1.jpg  
Old 03-01-11, 10:09 PM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Lexmex,

I am planning to replace the PCV valve for my 01 RX300 which has a engine oil leakage recently. I wonder if the PCV valve you found from autorock.com has a good quality or I should buy it from Lexus dealer. Thanks a lot. I seem the one you found is very cheap. Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Here's a photo, it's the area code58 mentioned.

And as bob2200 mentioned, it's going to look different, it's actually metal on the 2001-2003 models (see second photo below). It's also going to be set at a 45 degree angle instead of flat as it is here on my 99.

This photo is one I took from rockauto.com where they had the piece available for $4.11 for the 2001, it's listed under the emission subcategory and it's a BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0450345.

However, verify what you see before you order.
Old 03-02-11, 03:28 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
Hello, Lexmex,

I am planning to replace the PCV valve for my 01 RX300 which has a engine oil leakage recently. I wonder if the PCV valve you found from autorock.com has a good quality or I should buy it from Lexus dealer. Thanks a lot. I seem the one you found is very cheap. Thanks a lot.
You can get an OE one from a Toyota dealer for $4-$5.

Part # 12204-20040 (for the metal screw in kind which is what yours should have).
Old 03-02-11, 03:53 PM
richonline
Rookie

Thanks Carguy07. Picked one up at Toyota today, ~$7.

Originally Posted by carguy07

Part # 12204-20040 (for the metal screw in kind which is what yours should have).
Old 03-04-11, 05:10 PM
richonline
Rookie

Guys, just want to share with you all, my 01 RX300 has the plastic PCV valve (yes not the metal one), just replaced it last night. During the work, a nightmare happened: the rubber ring under the PCV valve was broken (it became quite stiff) and dropped into the valve cover (through the hole) when I tried to replace it as well. It was so painful to get it out, after two hours I managed to hook it out with the help of a flat screwdriver. So be very careful, it happened before and it happened again.

Originally Posted by carguy07

Old 03-12-11, 10:51 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm amazed you were able to get it out -- good for you! Pat yourself on the back (and have a beer!) for that one!
Old 03-12-11, 04:47 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
During the work, a nightmare happened: the rubber ring under the PCV valve was broken
Toyota should not use plastic for a component that is subject to that much heat in that location. They are just asking for trouble like you experienced. Metal is much more durable for pcv use.
Old 05-06-11, 11:18 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2001 RX300. I have not checked whether mine is plastic or metal, but if it is plastic can I install the metal one as the replacement?
Old 05-07-11, 04:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
I have a 2001 RX300. I have not checked whether mine is plastic or metal, but if it is plastic can I install the metal one as the replacement?
No, it's a different set up to my knowledge.

Personally, I'd keep the plastic. I bored mine clean open.
Old 05-08-11, 10:44 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexmex. First off, I want to thank you for all your informative posts. I am in the process of getting my daughter's new 2001 RX300 resuscitated and I have relied on your guidance to get me thru. It is a pretty great car!

As to this thread, you are right in that all RX330s manufactured before 01/2001 used the plastic PCV valve. That is my vehicle. What is involved in changing it out? I purchased the valve and the grommet. Do they just pop out?

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-09-11, 08:07 PM
Lexspeed
Pit Crew

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
What is involved in changing it out? I purchased the valve and the grommet. Do they just pop out?

Thanks
Scott
It is a pretty simple job. Yes, just pull it out and pinch the clamp to release the PCV. Insert the new one. You might as well replace the grommet since you bought a new, but most of the time those can be reused.
Old 10-06-15, 12:18 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexspeed
It is a pretty simple job. Yes, just pull it out and pinch the clamp to release the PCV. Insert the new one. You might as well replace the grommet since you bought a new, but most of the time those can be reused.
do I need any tool to twist it? or just simply pull it out. Not too much space left there. Do I need to move anything first?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pcv valve