RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cost of replacing Door Locks and Keys of 02 RX 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 10:52 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Master key [qty 2] (typically) are Black shell [with electronics built in for remote and imobilizer-deactivator (double negative)].

Valet key [qty 1] gray shell has special personalization (groove cut in the middle) which prevents it to used for glove-box. It also has the imobilizer-deativator.

The wallet key [in '99] has the personalization of the master key but does not have the imobilzer-deativator ... that prevents the key to be used to start the RX. In later models, Lexus started providing a small piece that needs to be brought close to the ignition switch.

The ECU is programmed to:
Match with the id of the imobilzer-deactivator.
It listens to the remote_in_the_keys and if the key is registered, it responds to the commands.

The key must be registered in the ECU, before the ECU will accept to be reprogrammed .... this is why the master key is required.

You can get Key-blanks and have them cut (personalized) to match the current cylinders. But then you are on your way to Level1 (see my post). What is needed is the electronics and programming the ecu. You can buy the electronics with the key blank. The trouble area is that you dont have the Master key and without it, you can not get the ECU to accept new keys. Posts here indicate that some shops have the know how to flash without the master key. [Lexus most probably will not and will ask you to buy new ECU]. Improper handling of ECU can render it useless. So make sure you deal with people who know what they are doing.

Before you cut key blanks to current locks, explore Level2. Since the keys were stolen from home, I would think Level2 is the right call. Had you lost them away from home, the likelihood of some one finding the keys and matching with your RX would have been low ... but not in your case.

Salim

So how the AAA guy get in to disable the starter?
Old 08-11-09, 03:52 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
lol That is exactly what I was wondering!
Old 08-11-09, 05:19 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
lol That is exactly what I was wondering!
You are assuming he got in to disable the starter but it sounds like he was just able to open the hood.
Old 08-11-09, 06:27 AM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
You are assuming he got in to disable the starter but it sounds like he was just able to open the hood.
He somehow managed to pop the hood with his tools and took out the starter fuse (that's what he called it).
Old 08-11-09, 06:32 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nadir576
Mikey, I am not sure whether I have Wallet or Valet Key in my glove compartment. I am pretty sure I saw something similar when we bought this used lexus from private party way back in 2007.
I will be looking to see if I can find someone who can open the doors tomorrow.
What does your insurance company have to say about all this? If they are willing to pay call Lexus have them pick up the car and make it right. This is most likely the best solution in the long run. No worries about someone having a key to your RX.
However, it sounds like this is not the case and you are looking at one of the other solutions and the priority is to get into your car. My suggestion yesterday was to order a non-remote key cut to your vin for around $50 plus the overnight shipping. (The key you provided the link to was a more expensive remote key.) This way you would be able to unlock your car today. I figured the cost of this key was cheaper than trying to find someone to unlock the car. I assumed it wasn't easy to unlock being that AAA didn't do it.
Where are you located in NJ?
I remembered this previous discussion about someone in the same situation. It may help you in deciding what to do.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...&hl=theft&st=0
Old 08-11-09, 06:52 AM
nadir576
Driver School Candidate

Master key [qty 2] (typically) are Black shell [with electronics built in for remote and imobilizer-deactivator (double negative)].

Valet key [qty 1] gray shell has special personalization (groove cut in the middle) which prevents it to used for glove-box. It also has the imobilizer-deativator.

The wallet key [in '99] has the personalization of the master key but does not have the imobilzer-deativator ... that prevents the key to be used to start the RX. In later models, Lexus started providing a small piece that needs to be brought close to the ignition switch.

The ECU is programmed to:
Match with the id of the imobilzer-deactivator.
It listens to the remote_in_the_keys and if the key is registered, it responds to the commands.

The key must be registered in the ECU, before the ECU will accept to be reprogrammed .... this is why the master key is required.

You can get Key-blanks and have them cut (personalized) to match the current cylinders. But then you are on your way to Level1 (see my post). What is needed is the electronics and programming the ecu. You can buy the electronics with the key blank. The trouble area is that you dont have the Master key and without it, you can not get the ECU to accept new keys. Posts here indicate that some shops have the know how to flash without the master key. [Lexus most probably will not and will ask you to buy new ECU]. Improper handling of ECU can render it useless. So make sure you deal with people who know what they are doing.

Before you cut key blanks to current locks, explore Level2. Since the keys were stolen from home, I would think Level2 is the right call. Had you lost them away from home, the likelihood of some one finding the keys and matching with your RX would have been low ... but not in your case.

Salim

Salim, thanks for taking time in posting your reply. I spoke with lexus dealer and as you mentioned in your suggestion, they only can do level 2 (with totally new set up and everything), takes about 3-5 days since they have to order new computer from CA. I am now more inclining towards your suggestion of doing everything new from scratch. I spoke with my renters and auto insurance and I was told by my auto insurance (Geico) that they can cover it (after deductable, $500). I see if I can recover $500 from my renter's insurance.

Again thanks a lot, guys for your valuable inputs, I learn a lot about keys in last couple of days.
Old 10-13-09, 08:56 PM
Gruss
Driver School Candidate

So; my '03 wallet key has the immobilizer-deactivator (note on the back talks about bringing the black "card" near to the ignition and there's a plug, probably covering a chip).

My question is whether this is like the valet key, or master.

These stories are making me paranoid about maybe getting another master and storing it in a safe deposit box. If the wallet key counts, it will make life simpler.
Old 10-13-09, 09:23 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

^ The question is best answered by Lexus.

I doubt the wallet key can be considered as master key, as it doe not have the electronics (remote). Now can you fake it with valet key electronics .... yikes I am going crazy

Salim.

ps: It is a good idea to own 2 master keys.
Old 10-14-09, 06:59 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I am not sure Lexus is the best one to answer this question. Lexus corporate defers these questions to the dealer. Others have reported that the dealer claims the wallet key will not work as a master to program other keys but it worked fine for others when they tried it.

Last edited by mikey00; 10-14-09 at 04:47 PM.