RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 08:23 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. The Piston inside the Tensioner requires between 300 up to 2000 lbs of force to push it down. There is a little hole that once compressed you need to stick a hex-driver, or other hard metal rod into, which will keep the piston compressed while installing the new belt.

I can say the tensioner on my GS300 with 250K miles is still good, and when I did the TB on it at 225K miles, it was still hard as hell to compress. The one on my RX with 150K miles was also very hard to compress, and still good. Once compressed it takes a few seconds up to a minute for the piston to come all the way back out

I cant remember if our lexus tensioners are spring loaded or use compressed Nitrogen with Oil, but they really dont wear out very easily, if ever.

I highly suggest the idler wheels/bearings however...if they go, bad things can happen, plus it makes your car sound like a POS...hehe

Originally Posted by code58
You will get opinions (that IS what they are) on both sides of the isle. I DID NOT replace the tensioner on my DIL's '99 RX, though I had it apart 3 different times and there have been no problem with it. It did stick a little the last time I had it apart, but I just "coaxed" it with a screw driver and it popped right out. I don't personally think it needs it if it seems to have the pressure it needs (you'll be able to tell when you compress it in a vice).
Old 04-25-11, 07:19 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry wrong forum.
This was for a 2gs

Last edited by twojayzee; 04-26-11 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 12:09 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What is that 2JZ??? That's not an RX. Might do better on the forum that represents whatever model it is. Good Luck.
Old 02-20-13, 10:39 AM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in replacing cam/crank seals

Hi I am new to this site, but read the wonderful posting you guys have posted and thus gave me a good knowledge of how to work with a good mechanic as i got duped by 2 mechanics for ginving me a sky rocketing quotation for a simple oil leak and a check oil light. One of them told me that the leak is from the rear VCG and need to change both the gaskets, so i got it changed with the 6 spakr plugs, the other one told me it is a steering pump leak and i got it replaced, but still oil is leaking. on the floor seeping from the chasis and moving back. I had done the TB recently and Serpetine belt with a Toyota Mechanic, and I dont think he had replaced any of the seals and W/P.
I thought this time I will raise the car up and see where the oil is leaking from and i noticed that whenever i stat the engine the oil leaks from within the TB cover and flows down over the upper oil pan, then over the lower oil pan and gets on to chasis and leaks on the ground.
I am not happy with the way things were handled in the past and hence i intend to do it my self.

How difficult is to remove the Cam Shafts (both left and right) and what if they turn while taking the bolts off ? I seen a good video posted on You tube for Timing Belt replacement 1 and 2, but nothing about replacing the cam and crank seals.

Any good video or instructions will be truly and highly appreciated as i dont want to get duped again with the high repair cost.

2000 Lexus Rx300 AWD only 98K miles.
Old 02-20-13, 01:56 PM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The video is on you...tube. the crank bolt is normal thread - lefty loosy, righty tighty.
Old 02-20-13, 05:55 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

You need to be a pretty good wrench to take that on. I would say it is a very difficult job if you don't have time tools and experience.
Old 02-20-13, 08:35 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

I think with your help and guidance, i should be able to fix this oil leak. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-13, 02:33 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barryst
Hi Lexina;

I have done my timing belt, it really isn't that bad. If you have any questions, let me know... If your doing the water pump, you have to jack up the engine about 1/4" to get it off the torx-headed stud. Other than that, its pretty straightfoward. I also did my tensioner, and Idler. I was a little afraid the motor would drop when I unbolted that mount above the belts, but it didn't move hardly at all.

Good luck!

-Barry_st
I am comfortable with the replacement of timing belt and pulling the crankshaft pulley out, what else should i be aware of while trying to replace the cam seals and the crank seals.
Old 02-22-13, 06:13 AM
RX3Hundred
Driver School Candidate

This video is for a 2000 RX300
I found it very educational.

Part 1 :

Part 2:
Old 02-03-16, 08:06 PM
weinkaufjr
Driver School Candidate

Resurrecting the dead –
Kudos to the posters, especially on #17 and 39.
Though I was not having any problems with original parts at 190k miles on my ‘99, I got the AC Delco kit. The new timing belt had preprinted white line marks on it to line up with the 3 gears - double checking that everything was lined up.
A small mirror on a handle was helpful to check the difficult to see line up marks on the rear cam gear.
After pulling water pump away from block, the 2 e torx studs going through water pump came loose with a PB Plaster soak and a little back and forth torque.
Old belt looked good but there is slight play in the tensioner roller, tensioner plunger appears to be fully extended and will not push back in without using a vise.
Old 02-04-16, 04:15 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found this on google awhile back before taking my car into the shop.

http://diyservice-en.blogspot.com/20...on-1mz-fe.html
Old 02-04-16, 04:21 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weinkaufjr
Resurrecting the dead –
Kudos to the posters, especially on #17 and 39.
Though I was not having any problems with original parts at 190k miles on my ‘99, I got the AC Delco kit. The new timing belt had preprinted white line marks on it to line up with the 3 gears - double checking that everything was lined up.
A small mirror on a handle was helpful to check the difficult to see line up marks on the rear cam gear.
After pulling water pump away from block, the 2 e torx studs going through water pump came loose with a PB Plaster soak and a little back and forth torque.
Old belt looked good but there is slight play in the tensioner roller, tensioner plunger appears to be fully extended and will not push back in without using a vise.
i guess it's too late now but how much did you get the kit for? i did some research and went with the aisin kit which includes all oem parts. there's not a significant price difference but regardless is worth the extra cost considering that many aftermarket parts fail early. all bearings, belts, pump, and hydraulic are all the same parts.
Old 02-05-16, 06:37 AM
weinkaufjr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hsmac
i guess it's too late now but how much did you get the kit for? i did some research and went with the aisin kit which includes all oem parts. there's not a significant price difference but regardless is worth the extra cost considering that many aftermarket parts fail early. all bearings, belts, pump, and hydraulic are all the same parts.
I got the kit a few months ago, I think it was about $120.00. Do you think there is a problem with AC Delco or that “all bearings, belts, pump, and hydraulic are all the same parts”?
Old 02-10-16, 04:58 PM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I never did the hydraulic tensioner. I compressed my old one both times using a heavy duty C-Clamp, inserted a hex wrench into the hole to keep it compressed, and then released it after installing the new timing belt. Did that on a few Toyotas, and my old RX also.

The only other thing I replaced with the job was the actual pully wheel with bearings, it can make an aweful sound. I used an AC Delco one that had the same size bearing and wheel, it cost 1/3rd what the toyota one did, and has lasted longer than the Original that I replaced at 100K miles.

Pulling the main crank pully is a little difficult, but not as bad as a Honda...those are ridiculous...

to loose main pulley - use a 1/2" drive socket on a breaker bar and crank the engine over (before disassembling the timing belt of course) - saves a LOT of time. I never had to do anything special putting it back on, they dont tend to loosen, my second timing belt at 225K miles the crank pully was still tight to take off.
Old 02-12-16, 09:06 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

boy; this does not look like a easy job to say the least. I hope i dont have to replace mine anytime soon. Im pretty sure mine was replaced at 90,000 because Ive put 19,000+ miles on my rx since i got it a little over a year ago without any problems so far. Problem is most shops Ive gotten quotes from want like 1000+ to replace the timing belt because there is like close to 6 hours of labor involved. which is $ I dont have as Im on a fixed income at the present time.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt DIY