RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

battery decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 01:01 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default battery decision

Hello my fellow rx family I'm back again lol. So I'm stuck in between what battery is better and last the longest.

Toyota branded battery by toyota dealer. 135.00 + tax with 7year warranty and 2 year replacement warranty

Lexus interstate battery by Lexus dealer. 115 + tax. 48month warranty and 24 month replacement

I currently have interstate on my car now. Which was already there when I first got the car.

I live in the east coast so we go through all the seasons pretty strong.

And I'm worried about what would be the best performanced brand in your personal experience or knowledge itself... thank you

Also I have 00 Lexus rx300 awd nor sure If that makes a difference
Old 07-31-11, 07:55 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Battery of my choice is Optima Red top. It is not a drop in replacement, you need the tray underneath to raise it and spread the cable/terminal to reach the posts. It is expensive, but is totally sealed and performs well.

Salim
Old 07-31-11, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Optima Red Top also served me well for almost 6 years, most of those in Mexico. I replaced it with a lightweight Deka ETX30L. You can see both how they fit on page 5 of my Car Domain page, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/221530...exus-rx/page-5

In my case, I used a 34/78 model, http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...pecs/34_78.pdf

The 34/78 required me to actually clip the ties holding the battery cables to extend the cables to reach the connections on top of the battery, because the positive was on the right side and negative on the left.

If you use the battery selector on Optima, http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/ it will show a 34R or 35. The 34R puts the positive on the left and the negative on the right plus gives the same performance as the powerful 34/78, thus you would not have to cut the ties for the cables to reach.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...ecs/34_34R.pdf

At the time I bought my 34/78 back in December 2004, I did not have access to buying a 34R, but wanted the Red Top.

My reason for getting the Deka over the Optima late last year was in part due to the southern climate I live in, the need for a lightweight battery (and not paying more for expensive lightweight options), plus it opens a space between the fusebox and the battery for an air intake tube for an air intake project I am going to be doing shortly (I am measuring these areas and buying parts as we speak (plan not to use PVC anymore for those curious). Finally, I am not intensive as far as electronics in my vehicle, so the need for something more powerful is not as necessary.

In your case, northern climates would steer me toward the more powerful Optima.
Old 07-31-11, 08:33 AM
lexrally
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a Duralast Gold 24-DLG from Auto zone for about $120. I had a Lexus
battery in previously. The Lexus battery had 640 cold cranking amps, the Duralast
has 750 CCA, and a 3 year replacement warranty.
Old 07-31-11, 08:52 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Honestly, the Toyota-branded and Lexus-branded batteries are extremely likely to be identical. Certainly from the same manufacturer. I'd wager, Interstate, but I don't remember what my wife's RX had, OEM. I do know that battery lasted 8 years, however.

The truly sealed Optimas are mighty tempting, but if you take proper care of them, a flooded-cell battery, i.e. water and acid, will last forever. If the case cracks, or a plate vibrates loose, well, that's a problem of course.

If you do go with a non-sealed battery, and "maintenance-free" isn't truly sealed, BTW, remember to check the cells every six months, maybe every three in the heat of summer/cold of winter, and if you want to keep corrosion at bay, put an ounce of mineral oil into each cell. Trust me, it works.

There's always keeping them 'fresh' with a desulfating every 6-8 months, but there aren't a whole lot of people who want to do that, though it takes almost -0- effort.

I routinely get at least 8-10 years out of a flooded-cell battery, and each one has had internal plate death or a cracked case which did 'em in.

Last edited by mckellyb; 07-31-11 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar FAIL
Old 07-31-11, 09:22 AM
MikeS99rx3
Driver School Candidate

I put a red top optima in my rx a couple years ago and love it so far. I run optimas in all my cars right now. Bought most of them on amazon, most recently bought a group 35 yellow top for $157, which i think is a great deal.
Old 07-31-11, 10:53 AM
thug9030
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Dag I didn't realize how good the optimas was. I thought interstate was the best of the best
Old 08-01-11, 01:37 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thug9030
Dag I didn't realize how good the optimas was. I thought interstate was the best of the best
Things have changed dramatically in batteries in the last 10 years or so. Johnson Controls makes by far most of the batteries in the U.S. now. They make the Optima and most of the Interstates. I am not much of a fan of JC batteries but there isn't a wide choice anymore. The battery in my wife's new '11 Camry is made by JC. The Costco Kirkland batteries are made by JC (in Mexico) and I am betting anything the Toyota & Lexus REPLACEMENT batteries are made by JC in Mexico. The LEXUS battery replaced under warranty in my DIL's RX in '02 was made in Mexico. We would be a lot better off if the batteries we bought for our T/L vehicles were Japan made but that's not going to happen, with the cost of trans. and the unlimited ability to build them CHEAPER in Mexico. One of the best batteries you can readily obtain for the money is a Sears Platinum, which isn't cheap, but is made by Odyssey and is still a really quality built battery.
By the way, do a search on Google for Optima battery problems. Interesting stuff.
Old 08-01-11, 03:59 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Optima before Jonson Controls was a super high quality bulletproof battery. Old ones are still on the road and seem to last forever. After Johnson Controls took over quality control went downhill fast. They are NOT the same batteries that Optima built it's name and original reputation on.
Old 08-01-11, 04:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I used to see one of those battery plants on the highway in northern Mexico. The Sears Platinum is also a very durable battery. I know a few friends near Tampa that use them and love the things.
Old 12-01-12, 09:51 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Optima Red Top also served me well for almost 6 years, most of those in Mexico. I replaced it with a lightweight Deka ETX30L. You can see both how they fit on page 5 of my Car Domain page, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/221530...exus-rx/page-5

In my case, I used a 34/78 model, http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...pecs/34_78.pdf

The 34/78 required me to actually clip the ties holding the battery cables to extend the cables to reach the connections on top of the battery, because the positive was on the right side and negative on the left.

If you use the battery selector on Optima, http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/ it will show a 34R or 35. The 34R puts the positive on the left and the negative on the right plus gives the same performance as the powerful 34/78, thus you would not have to cut the ties for the cables to reach.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...ecs/34_34R.pdf

At the time I bought my 34/78 back in December 2004, I did not have access to buying a 34R, but wanted the Red Top.

My reason for getting the Deka over the Optima late last year was in part due to the southern climate I live in, the need for a lightweight battery (and not paying more for expensive lightweight options), plus it opens a space between the fusebox and the battery for an air intake tube for an air intake project I am going to be doing shortly (I am measuring these areas and buying parts as we speak (plan not to use PVC anymore for those curious). Finally, I am not intensive as far as electronics in my vehicle, so the need for something more powerful is not as necessary.

In your case, northern climates would steer me toward the more powerful Optima.
. How is your Deka ETX 30L battery now. My optima red top died after 4 years 4 months. Thinking to buy light battery. Does Deka will support lot of music or videos playing . Thanks.
Old 12-02-12, 07:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
. How is your Deka ETX 30L battery now. My optima red top died after 4 years 4 months. Thinking to buy light battery. Does Deka will support lot of music or videos playing . Thanks.
It still runs but a word of note from others with these lightweight batteries (and I had the issue once with this battery when I was a way for a week on travel), you need to run these things every few day or stick them on a trickle charger. I can't say the Deka turns over the vehicle with as much force as my old Optima but it does do the job. If I were in a colder climate, I'd opt for another Optima or something similar).
Old 12-02-12, 07:50 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by gazi001
Everything has a life, but have you tried deep charge cycle .. 48hrs or so on your Optima. Twice I have thought that my optimas are ready to be replaced and pleasantly surprised that they recovered. Now I have to make sure the vehicles are driven once a week or else the battery needs a charge. I know it is a matter of convenience but I want to stretch the life as mush as I can.

Salim
Old 12-02-12, 11:02 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Ron and Salim. I will try deep charge.
Old 12-03-12, 05:49 AM
lexrally
Rookie

On another note, I noticed that soon after replacing the battery, my door lock actuators failed
(driver door and rear passenger side door). Coincidental, maybe, but the new battery was definitely
more powerful than the OEM battery. Could this is why the actuator motors burned out??

Quick Reply: battery decision