RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

A/C Servo Troubles - (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 10:42 AM
rruotolo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Servo Troubles - (merged threads)

I'm dealing with the dreaded servo issue (aka hamster noise) in the HVAC system.

I've already removed one of three servo controls, and now I'm in trouble. Any help, and particularly any photos, would be most appreciated.

According to my Lexus dealer, there are actually three servo controls:
87106 30371 (air mix)
87106 48020 (air mix)
87106 30390 (recirc. damper)

I'm guessing that the two I'm seeing are the first two listed above.

I removed the larger of the two that are visible from the passenger area. I opened it up and promptly spilled its contents. So I need to know if I'm putting it back together correctly. Do you know how to set the motor orientation (+/-) and relationship/alignment of feather contacts to the servo wheel, in relationship to the alignment of the white plastic external flange with the track?

ANY photos of the correctly assembled (under dash) final product or the innards of the larger servo would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-07, 12:34 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Doing a little web searching, it looks like the Lexus list price is about $150 and you should be able to get one for maybe 1/3 - 1/2 off at one of the mailorder Lexus parts dealers. At some point it might be worth $100 of your time to get a new one if somebody can't explain how to put it back together. Just a thought.
Old 10-22-07, 02:19 PM
skd007
Driver School Candidate

Default Clicking noise from glovebox???

I am a proud owner of a 2001 RX300 2WD. For about the past year the car intermittently makes a terrible clicking sound that seems to be associated with the A/C and heating system. I have changed the cabin air filter regularly and surmise that there might be something up in that area, but am not sure if it might be something else. Any advice?
Old 10-22-07, 02:52 PM
rruotolo
Driver School Candidate

Default online merchants

Good tip...to buy a new one.

Any suggestions as to merchant? I looked at a few sites referenced in other posts but could not find any of the servo parts listed.

Also, suggestions as to part number. I'm not entirely sure which (of the three parts listed above) is the one I need. All I know is that of the two servos that are mostly visible from the passenger side, this is the larger one.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-07, 05:19 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Servos.

I have a PDF from one of those CD-ROM service manuals you get on eBay that shows which servo is the air mix servo, which the air inlet servo, and which the air outlet servo. I didn't see any details on how to repair the servos. I don't know how to attach a PDF, but if you PM me, I can e-mail it to you.

I've been getting parts from irontoad.com, but there are also the several mail-order Lexus dealers that help sponsor this forum. Irontoad is geographically the closest for me.
Old 10-25-07, 03:29 PM
RX300Gary
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skd007
I am a proud owner of a 2001 RX300 2WD. For about the past year the car intermittently makes a terrible clicking sound that seems to be associated with the A/C and heating system. I have changed the cabin air filter regularly and surmise that there might be something up in that area, but am not sure if it might be something else. Any advice?
We have the same 2001 2wd. Same clicking sound, though I wouldn't call it terrible (ours sounds like the CD changer changing CDs). But what fixes it for several weeks at least is.. Turn the temp to full hot, pause, turn the heat to full cold, pause, then set it back where you want it.
Gary
Old 11-02-07, 01:11 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure if this is the same problem but this was related more towards the "Mode" control. Whenever it was adjusted to blow towards the face/top, it would click a lot. I did a search and it sounds common among the RX300s. So I followed the directions and to my surprise... it wasn't fixed.

So I looked around the area and noticed a spring loaded clip. I then pulled the clip so it wouldn't put any load on the other electrical part/motor and to my amazement, it worked! No more rattling noise and its a Lexus again. I should have taken a picture of it. I'm sure the spring is there for a reason, but screw it if the car is back to normal. Another one of my customers reported the same problem, I told her to let me look into my father's car and then I will let her know.
Old 08-06-09, 01:54 PM
MarkG2000
Rookie

Default Which servo part #

I have the same clicking sound...pain in the butt.
I turn it FULL HOT, the clicking stops...then I slowly bring
the temp down till it clicks again. I turn it up one notch and
it's all good.
In warm weather here in Ca...that's when it goes off. But
when it's cold the clicking noise doesn't really begin when
you start the car.

Anyhow...I can't take it any longer
so if you know which one it is by part # I'd really appreciate it.

thanks
Old 08-06-09, 06:43 PM
RX300Gary
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you access these?

I see I posted my quick fix two years ago.
It is still doing it.. and it seems a little louder.
Does anyone know how to access them?
Gary
Old 08-06-09, 09:19 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have dealt with this same issue already. I cleaned both air mix servos.....didn't work. I order both air mix servos from www.parts.com, this is the usually site I order from. They have a good parts look up system for most items, if you cant find it you can ask them, they less than a day to get back to you with the part numbers you need. I am awaiting my air mix servos should be here on monday. I did also play with that spring.....I agree...it does work without it.