RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hello from Austria

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-09, 12:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Boergy
Hy!

i become next week my OBD Scanner i refill with 100 octan gas and reset the ecu, no problems, running without bucking, i test this weekend serveral times of corret funktion.

today, i have seen the transfer diff which bolt on the automatic. its not easy to understand the visco clutch, i looked in the part list to understand the function of the system. the visco system is ok, but its really 2 diffs (one in the automatic and one in the transfer diff) for the front wheels? very complicated the system. i see the oil refill screw (correct?) are never open

in the TTE manual for the supercharger are written "gear oil" not transfer diff oil. i looked on the sticker, i need 85w90 GL-5 oil (0,9L). TTE gives SHC75w90 oil and castrol says 75w140 oil. i think, the 80w90 GL-5 oil is the best. i never seen a 85w90 oil, or gives this original by Lexus/Toyota? Maybe influenced the visco by the thinner oil?

greets

Tom
Tom,

I have run 100+ octane gas in Mexico and the vehicle ran fine with it. We used to sell it my race track.

Tom see this thread on the transfer case and rear differential, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...sfer-case.html

75W90 works just fine, don't worry about it being 80W90 or 85W90. Liqui Moly has a good synthetic 75W90 GL-5 fluid that should work. 75W140 is for something bigger, like my girlfriend's Ford Expedition. Gear oil/transfer oil, it's the same thing. Just use 75W90 and you will be fine.

That differential in the transmission is something different, you can see here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html and that takes ATF fluid only, not 75W90. Basically there are two drain plugs on the transmission, ATF fluid will pour out of both of them. You fill the transmission through the dipstick at the top and the fluid will go automatically to both sides of the transmission. There is no separate place to pour in for both sides of the transmission.
Old 05-09-09, 01:16 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Hy!

Thanks for the great links! i changed all oils, but this one was not in my service book

it is possible to modify the visco to a 50:50 diff or full locked?
Old 05-10-09, 09:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Hy!

Thanks for the great links! i changed all oils, but this one was not in my service book

it is possible to modify the visco to a 50:50 diff or full locked?
I haven't heard of anyone modifying the differential on this vehicle, so I couldn't help you there on that one.

Yeah, it's funny about the rear differential/transfer case oils, they really don't stick them in the manual.
Old 05-11-09, 12:03 PM
Boergy
Advanced

HY!

Today, i bought the 1L oil from Castrol 80w90 and the injector cleaner. i start the car for mixed the gas with the cleaner, i have no time today to drive (i have a job-car) but i´m not sure, the starting idle speed is 1200u/min? maybe to high? we have 25°C and sun normal 700 u/min (+/- 50 u/min) if the engine is warm. Is this speed normal, when i start the engine in the morning? or to high? i remember me, when the engine is warm, is normal 700 u/min.

greets

Tom
Old 05-11-09, 12:15 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

HY!

Today, i bought the 1L oil from Castrol 80w90 and the injector cleaner. i start the car for mixed the gas with the cleaner, i have no time today to drive (i have a job-car) but i´m not sure, the starting idle speed is 1200u/min? maybe to high? we have 25°C and sun normal 700 u/min (+/- 50 u/min) if the engine is warm. Is this speed normal, when i start the engine in the morning? or to high? i remember me, when the engine is warm, is normal 700 u/min.

greets

Tom
Tom,

Normal RPM after you put in Drive is 750 RPM, but in Park you should see it at 1000 RPM. It can sometimes be a little bit higher in park, and it has been for me with the warmer weather outside here in Florida, where it has been 25 to 35 celsius as of late.

I am testing a Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner in my RX300 effective today to see how it works. I also started using it in my girlfriend's 1999 Ford Expedition, so we will see how it goes for both of us.

Castrol 80W90 will work fine, too. Gear oil like that goes for a very long time, 160,000+ kilometers is entirely possible, though I am going to be changing it out around every 50,000 kilometers in my own RX300.

Ron
Old 05-11-09, 12:29 PM
Boergy
Advanced

thanks for answer

i drive tomorrow a round and test with cleaner and change the oil i hope, the failure is fixed and my IS runs normal.
Old 05-11-09, 01:01 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tom,
Finaly i got the price quote from Germany for the Delta 4x4 exhaust of Ebay.DE for total
199(exhaust) +130(Shiping)= 329 Euros. I think it is normal shiping price from Europe to USA. What you think?
Old 05-11-09, 01:18 PM
Boergy
Advanced

HY!

is a good price! i think, this is with parcel service, my price was from the normal post office. the exhaust costs normal 914 euros! is the 1/3 price with shipping
Old 05-12-09, 10:02 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Hy!

Today comes my OBD Scanner.

i drived 20-25km without problems with 2-3x starts from parking (i was shopping withmy girlfriend) on the highway, the failure comes with very light bucking, but no light, the currently gas consumption gos up to 40L and more! After restart, the lights on, but the engine runs normal, no bucking, not to much gas. At home, i read the failure from the ecu, is was P0171. maybe also a hole in the header or flex pipe. The failure comes first after hard driving about 30-40km normal road 2 weeks ago. Maybe a ripped exhaust. i will find the failure

The engine runs better with the injection cleaner, smoother, better respond

her pics from the OBD-Scanner.

is this normal? bank 1 is leaner as bank2?

The voltage from Sensor 1 is sometimes 0,5V. Normal?

greets
Tom

Last edited by Boergy; 05-12-09 at 10:07 AM. Reason: edit the text failures
Old 05-12-09, 11:26 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Hi,
Tom i think the MAF sensor need to replace. Check the value of MAF sensor on scanner.
You could check the following link:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...de-0171-a.html
Old 05-12-09, 11:54 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Hy!

Thanks for the link.

i clean just the MAF sensor. i have bought today the correct alcohol in the pharmacy. And i clean the 4 Month old Air Filter (ACCEL) with K&N Cleaner.

On Friday, i have time to change teh transfer-oil and check the new gaskets on the last lamda sonde and the exhaust flange from the manifold to the middle section and the headers. I have all gaskets new her

step for step to finish
Old 05-12-09, 12:56 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered the new Delta 4x4 exhaust from E-bay Germany yesterday. Hope it will come soon. How you connect the new exhaust Delta with the rear old exhaust pipe after you removed the old exhaust. I saw your pictures but couldnot figure out. Did you use clam connection or welded ? If possible can you post a pics of bottom your car or e-mail me:
Gazi0001@Gmail.com please. Thanks.
Old 05-12-09, 01:19 PM
Boergy
Advanced

HY!

You must cut the original exhaust Pipe and fixed the pipe from the delta4x4 with a clamp.

You see her on the pic, the connection to the original Pipe and the new hook an the frame

for the left exhaust box, you demount the towing lug and mount a new hook

not wondering, the exhaust is very silent! make a pipe in the middle silencer and the sound is ok (no one see this from outside ;-) )
Old 05-12-09, 01:31 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Do i have to remove the towing nuts on the left? I had a rear bumper grill. So i have to remove this grill also. I connected the bumper grill with the tow nuts on both sides left and right.,
Old 05-13-09, 11:31 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Hy!

Yes, the left towing lug changed to the holder for the exhaust. The screws are the same. i will mount both, to have 2 towing logs for the Winter

Today, i cleaned and oiled the Air Filter, cleaned the MAF und checked some hoses. i found a hose on the black box under the airfilterbox, this was old, the hose was crisp and was very easy to remove, maybe here the point of false air?

And the intake manifold loose oil, the screws are not maximum fixed. maybe chance the gasket?

here some pics:
Airfilter

oil on the manifold

new hoses ( gas hoses from gates)

changed hoses

defect?

i startet the engine, afert 2-3mins the idle speed was normal, faster as before but no time for a test drive today

Quick Reply: Hello from Austria