RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

seems like a lot of RX300 owners use Goodyear Comfortred tires with good results?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 08:39 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seems like a lot of RX300 owners use Goodyear Comfortred tires with good results?

seems like a lot of RX300 owners use Goodyear Comfortred tires with good results?

I was searching the TireRack to see what tires I should get the next time. It seems like quite a few RX300(even some LS430) owners like the Goodyear Comfortred tires.

but how come there's almost no discussion about it here?
Old 03-02-09, 06:40 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Because TireRack reviews cover a broad range of cars and usually not very indicative of your exact car.

Personally, I stay away from GoodYear. The OEM Goodyear Infinity I think they were, are junk on snow. The AquaTreads that I used on my Accord when I had them were good when new, but after 50% wear were junk and only last about 30K.

For me, you get what you pay for and the Michelin Cross-Terrains were the best, on rain, snow, sleet, etc. Never skipped a beat on snow and tail never gave out. I made a dumb move and switched to another OEM tire, the Bridgestone Duelers and they are junk too. Slight snow and the tail slips just slightly. Enough to not give you confidence that it'll do much better later.
Old 03-02-09, 07:33 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Michelin`s are a lot more,but they can`t be beat.
Old 03-02-09, 08:08 PM
sarah

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja

For me, you get what you pay for and the Michelin Cross-Terrains were the best, on rain, snow, sleet, etc. Never skipped a beat on snow and tail never gave out. I made a dumb move and switched to another OEM tire, the Bridgestone Duelers and they are junk too. Slight snow and the tail slips just slightly. Enough to not give you confidence that it'll do much better later.
I did try the Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires and hated them. Went to the Michelin CrossTerrains. The CTs were definitely better. Micheline also has the Latitude in 225/70/16. I wonder how that compare with the CTs.
Old 01-24-14, 01:15 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Because TireRack reviews cover a broad range of cars and usually not very indicative of your exact car.

Personally, I stay away from GoodYear. The OEM Goodyear Infinity I think they were, are junk on snow. The AquaTreads that I used on my Accord when I had them were good when new, but after 50% wear were junk and only last about 30K.

I just realized that this is a very old thread. However, My CrossTerrains tires are down to the last 2/32" so it's time to get new tires.

The current (2013/2014) GoodYear Comfortred tires have racked up a lot of good reviews from other Lexus owners. I'm just wondering if any RX300 owners here have them?
Old 01-24-14, 06:50 PM
dbui
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeh I got it from tirerack 3 years ago all 4 tires, it still going strong, I put it on at 144k and now the car just turn 200k which is 56k so far. it warranty for 6yrs up to 70k so I think it still have a bit more to go. I already order 4 more tires, I will replace it next coming Winter. Oh I did the balance and rotation every 12-15k , which help the tires wear evenly and last a bit longer.
Old 01-24-14, 07:40 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dbui
yeh I got it from tirerack 3 years ago all 4 tires, it still going strong, I put it on at 144k and now the car just turn 200k which is 56k so far. it warranty for 6yrs up to 70k so I think it still have a bit more to go. I already order 4 more tires, I will replace it next coming Winter. Oh I did the balance and rotation every 12-15k , which help the tires wear evenly and last a bit longer.
balance and rotation ever 12-15k?

I guess I'm too paranoid & cheap because I've been doing rotate&balance all of my tires every 3000 miles for the last 15 years. (free at Costco)
Old 01-25-14, 12:23 PM
dbui
Driver

Originally Posted by titangummy
balance and rotation ever 12-15k?

I guess I'm too paranoid & cheap because I've been doing rotate&balance all of my tires every 3000 miles for the last 15 years. (free at Costco)

Yeh you fine if you get it free and you have time to wait around at Costco, I used to do the same when I buy tires from Costco every oil change which is every 5k I do tires rotation and balance at Costco, but since I buy tires at tirerack Costco will not put it on for me. beside I asked certify mechanics it fine to do it b/w 10k to 15k. whatever make you happy taking good care of your car!
Old 01-25-14, 08:16 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dbui
Yeh you fine if you get it free and you have time to wait around at Costco, I used to do the same when I buy tires from Costco every oil change which is every 5k I do tires rotation and balance at Costco, but since I buy tires at tirerack Costco will not put it on for me. beside I asked certify mechanics it fine to do it b/w 10k to 15k. whatever make you happy taking good care of your car!
yeah... I used to hate waiting at Costco for the free rotation/balancing. However, my local Costco has started taking appointments a couple of years ago. I call the day before. If I get a 3:15pm appointment and I show up within 30 minutes of my appointment, the rotation/balancing will be done within 30 minutes. (usually not even enough time for me to walk around Costco to eat all the free food samples )

my other car's rotation is even faster.. takes 0 seconds. (because it has staggered directional tires, so rotation is not possible at all : D )
Old 01-26-14, 06:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by titangummy
I just realized that this is a very old thread. However, My CrossTerrains tires are down to the last 2/32" so it's time to get new tires.

The current (2013/2014) GoodYear Comfortred tires have racked up a lot of good reviews from other Lexus owners. I'm just wondering if any RX300 owners here have them?
I have the Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring on my ES300, and they are fantastic. Very quiet and smooth tire. Combined with the ES300 suspension, I don't feel any imperfections. They are also excellent in the snow.

Another member here, CharBaby has GoodYear Comfortred on his RX300, I'll see if I can get him to post here!
Old 01-26-14, 02:40 PM
CharBaby
Rookie

Yes, I would agree that I too stay away from Good/Year tires. My 40 years experience with G/Y's has been mostly dissatisfying. Though I do find myself buying them now & again and the Assurance Comfort Treads have come through with a very decent tire. I have had mine since '08 and will be ready for tires once again before next winter(2014-15).

My G/Y ACT's are also the Non-Touring version(stardard G/Y ACT's) 80K mile rating, not the 60K mile rating as in the "Touring Model".

Knowing what I know about the G/Y ACT's and how they perform on my RX-300, I will deffinately consider them again, as they have treated me very well(for a G/Y tire). Buy'em on sale with G/Y Rebates when possible as their price is climbing, putting the ACT's into a price with Michelin(in some sizes).

Since my '01 RX is now in it's teens, I may look for a good quality but, lesser expensive tire for my next purchace!

I have also been reading very good reviews with the "NEW" Firestone Destination LE/2's, giving the Michelin LTX M/S 2's a run for their money...especially for their price. Their prices on the Destination's seem to be very good and the customer satisfaction is very high as well.

Best of luck with your purchace!
CB

Last edited by CharBaby; 01-27-14 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Added Information!
Old 01-26-14, 07:11 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yup i have goodyear assurance comfort touring and its just awesome. like others have said its super quiet ride its number one quality. i have no complains. However recently i have put new Falken tires on my Volvo and i must say its also quiet. I think the Falken has better handling. But that depends on the car structure too..
anyways if i were you get GY assurance comfort touring..
Attached Thumbnails seems like a lot of RX300 owners use Goodyear Comfortred tires with good results?-tire.jpg  
Old 01-28-14, 07:54 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine came with Goodyear assurance comfortturds and I couldn't get those things off fast enough.

Even at 10/32nds (nearly brand new) they were a death sentence on any amount of snow over a dusting.

I threw an all terrain Hankook ATm and never looked back.

Sometimes when people review an item or backup someone's praise for a product, it's simply because they happen to own said product.
People like to feel good about the things they own...even when those things suck.

I wouldn't recommend those tires to anything other than a touring tire for a sedan. They're crap on a "utility vehicle"
Old 01-29-14, 06:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Erics99RX
Mine came with Goodyear assurance comfortturds and I couldn't get those things off fast enough.

Even at 10/32nds (nearly brand new) they were a death sentence on any amount of snow over a dusting.

I threw an all terrain Hankook ATm and never looked back.

Sometimes when people review an item or backup someone's praise for a product, it's simply because they happen to own said product.
People like to feel good about the things they own...even when those things suck.

I wouldn't recommend those tires to anything other than a touring tire for a sedan. They're crap on a "utility vehicle"
I had them in over nearly 10 inches of unplowed snow on my ES300 and it did perfectly fine. I was surprised, didn't think it could but it did!

I certainly am not praising the tire because I own it, I spent a decent chunk of change on these tires if I honestly thought they were bad tires, I would not recommend them. I wouldn't want others spending as much as I did on these and being disappointed. However, these in fact are great tires and I would recommend them any day of the week!

Either way, glad to hear you were able to get rid of them.
Old 01-30-14, 06:34 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Right! Not every tire is for eveyone and I won't defend the ACTs. As typicaly I am not a fan of G/Y tires!
These G/Y ACT's have done so much better than the Integrity's that they replaced. My ABS doesn't work OT. When I first installd the ACTs, I had to slam on the brakes to see if the ABS still worked properly. With the OE Integ's, I'd pass up my driveway due to the ABS always kicking on even in Mall Parking Lots

Now even with 4-5 32nds of tread remaining, the ACTs are still decent and have done well in this winter 2014. Not a great handling tire(non Touring), the ACTs ride/handle & smooth/quiet are similarly to the Integ'sl. Handle, Na!...The RX isn't a handling machine Not mine anyway! If we watnted a handling vehicle, we would have bought a handling vehicle and wouldn't rely on tires as much to do as much of the handling.

Quick Reply: seems like a lot of RX300 owners use Goodyear Comfortred tires with good results?