RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Catalytic Converter 00 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 05:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
OMG! I'M having these same issues. Replaced all the sensors with aftermarket then the dealer said OEM should have been used. So he replace the #2 sensor with OEM. The codes came back on a day later. Took it back in the dealer said he found a small hole in the pipe near the Cat. He said take it to a muffler shop. Muffler shop said Cat needs replacement at $835.00. going for a second opinion tomorrow. After replacing the tranny 8 months ago this is getting to be a real bummer. Plus the turning radius sucks and the OEM tires are a death trap in the winter.

So much for saving money after paying it off. My wife babys this car and we did ALL the regular service 30-60-90k.

The new RX is out of our league so I guess were going back to Ford. lol
$835!!!!

The aftermarket cat like I have on my RX cost only about $92 and I got that online.

Forget Ford, I've already had issues dealing with my girlfriend's Expedition.
Old 02-23-09, 10:58 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
$835!!!!

The aftermarket cat like I have on my RX cost only about $92 and I got that online.

Forget Ford, I've already had issues dealing with my girlfriend's Expedition.

Can you send me the place where you got it from. Has it corrected the problem?
Old 02-23-09, 12:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Can you send me the place where you got it from. Has it corrected the problem?
I still have a Magnaflow 93506, it's a bit bigger than the OEM cat, but does a way better job. I had some hesitation and some issues because of the Mexican gas with my previous Magnaflow 94005.

Company I got them from before no longer appears to be in existence, but

Price is just a bit higher now, but only by about $8 USD, http://www.bestmagnaflowsource.com/S...0Complian.aspx
Attached Thumbnails Catalytic Converter 00 RX300-magnaflow93506cat.jpg  
Old 02-23-09, 12:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

OMG! I'M having these same issues. Replaced all the sensors with aftermarket then the dealer said OEM should have been used. So he replace the #2 sensor with OEM. The codes came back on a day later. Took it back in the dealer said he found a small hole in the pipe near the Cat. He said take it to a muffler shop. Muffler shop said Cat needs replacement at $835.00. going for a second opinion tomorrow. After replacing the tranny 8 months ago this is getting to be a real bummer. Plus the turning radius sucks and the OEM tires are a death trap in the winter.

So much for saving money after paying it off. My wife babys this car and we did ALL the regular service 30-60-90k.

The new RX is out of our league so I guess were going back to Ford. lol
One other thing I should mention to you before they tell you it's the cat (because American gas is not the kind of thing to kill a cat like the Mexican stuff (they sold tons of catalytic converters in Mexico City)), is to see if they can do a gas analysis test (just like an emissions test) to see what you are getting on HC, CO and NOx.

In addition, a faulty cat would get a P0420 low catalytic efficiency code, mean check engine light. That was a very common code my uncle would see at his shop even with vehicles built in this century, after I got him an OBD2 scanner to use for his work.

Depending on where it is (unless it's on the cat itself), they should be able to weld it shut. You might remember that's what I had to do in several places such as here on the exhaust manifold. Makes no sense in these hard economic times to go for the most expensive alternative.
Attached Thumbnails Catalytic Converter 00 RX300-img_1594.jpg  
Old 02-23-09, 01:13 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Lex,since we have two precats up stream,I wonder if it is possible to gut out the main converter. Re-install the o2 sensor,and act like nothing happened. I did so many pre 96 cars,and they alway`s ran better...... stupid obdii.

Last edited by lexus114; 02-23-09 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-23-09, 03:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
Lex,since we have two precats up stream,I wonder if it is possible to gut out the main converter. Re-install the o2 sensor,and act like nothing happened. I did so many pre 96 cars,and they allway`s ran better...... stupid obdii.
Here's the thing I found out several years ago. The non-California spec 1MZFE Toyota Solaras don't have precats (there's discussions of this over on www.solaraguy.com) and several of them have made their way oddly to California and have still passed that restrictive emissions test there. Mexico City also had a very restrictive test that even new cars had tough times passing (partly the crappy gas but also the altitude) and I knew guys running single cats that would also pass because they managed to tune the vehicle correctly.

The real key is not the upper precats (those only help when the vehicle is warming up) but rather the main cat underneath the vehicle.

The other thing is that OBDII (you hit on this) will fire up eventually a P0420 if there's a bad cat/no cat there.

However, I'd like to know where this particular hole really is (like a photo) or description so we know whats' going on.
Old 02-24-09, 06:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Well the only reason I brought this up re;Cat converter gutting,is because a good friend of mine has a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 P/U.His converter started rattling,then blocked up.I did explain to him that these converters dont die,their murdered.And that something must have caused this to happen.Anyway,he took it off,gutted it,and I also told him he will eventually get a code from the ecm.So far,(almost two weeks later) no code has popped up.He also told me that the truck runs like its butt is on fire now.The question is,even if he does some how escape a code from this(which I dont think is possible)will the truck pass a PA I/M test now?Thats what I cant wait to see.
Old 02-24-09, 11:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lexus114
Well the only reason I brought this up re;Cat converter gutting,is because a good friend of mine has a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 P/U.His converter started rattling,then blocked up.I did explain to him that these converters dont die,their murdered.And that something must have caused this to happen.Anyway,he took it off,gutted it,and I also told him he will eventually get a code from the ecm.So far,(almost two weeks later) no code has popped up.He also told me that the truck runs like its butt is on fire now.The question is,even if he does some how escape a code from this(which I dont think is possible)will the truck pass a PA I/M test now?Thats what I cant wait to see.
I doubt it's going to pass an emissions test because the main cat is really important. I've heard stories of finely tuned vehicles with no cats passing, but I'd have to see a gas analysis test firsthand to believe this.

My RX300 was able to pass the test back in Mexico with no issues and passed even better the second time that I tested (after switching out plugs, switched over to Castrol 0W30 and of course installed the converter above).
Old 02-24-09, 08:07 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I can say for sure that you can pass with an empty cat. I punched mine on an 84 Trans Am back in the day (probably around 1989-1990) and passed a California check. It even had an "off-road" chip in it. I remember doing a couple of suggested carb tricks but other than that it blew right through with an empty cat and the chip. Of course that's close to 20 years ago.
Old 02-25-09, 12:19 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
I can say for sure that you can pass with an empty cat. I punched mine on an 84 Trans Am back in the day (probably around 1989-1990) and passed a California check. It even had an "off-road" chip in it. I remember doing a couple of suggested carb tricks but other than that it blew right through with an empty cat and the chip. Of course that's close to 20 years ago.
I think the key phrase there is (see above). I can't even imagine today (especially in California) a vehicle passing with a gutted cat. Stranger things have happened (but I think they involved little green men from somewhere in outer space. )
Old 02-25-09, 06:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

c`mon guy`s,you got me thinkin about this now.....Might .not .be .able .to control .hands!!...ARG!!
Old 02-25-09, 09:05 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by artbuc
Many reports on this and several other Toyota forums that Bosch A/F sensors often do not work on this engine.
ive heard of this too, i myself replaced mine before i had heard of this with the bosch ones and they work fine for me but thats not to say that they work fine for someone else, i have a 99 AWD, not sure if after that model are the motors that dont function with it or not but there it is
Old 02-25-09, 09:47 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
ive heard of this too, i myself replaced mine before i had heard of this with the bosch ones and they work fine for me but thats not to say that they work fine for someone else, i have a 99 AWD, not sure if after that model are the motors that dont function with it or not but there it is
Thats because their for Cherman Cars.....
Old 02-25-09, 09:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Man I better settle down,Im getting off the wall now.