RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Freaking out!!! Cel codes $985.00 repair!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 08:20 PM
Young Hova
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freaking out!!! Cel codes $985.00 repair!

Hey Everyone, I'm a little stressed out here. So REX, my 1999 RX300 (251, 300 KM)has been acting up as of recent. First the tranny went, then the door lock, then I replaced the VSV at the Canister, then new battery, and now the following: I got a CEL and IMMEDIATELY took it to Jiffy Lube to get an oil change and an OBDII Scan. The codes were P0171 P1178. Then they did a fuel system and throttle body cleaner. They test drove the car and the following codes came up: P0171, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0171. They reset the codes, stating that the fuel system cleaner would bring on these codes. The CEL came back on and this time I took it to my mechanic. He said this time the codes were: P0125, P0171, P1133, P1153. He said my two O2 sensors are shot and need to be replaced - he couldn't tell what else was required, until after they were replaced - total cost 986$ (inclu. labor $100). So, I said I'd think things through as he told me not to drive too much (so as not to damage the catalytic converter). After doing some of my own reading on the forum, I figured I would need two Denso Air Flow Sensors (rear and front) which I can find on e-bay, etc for $200 total, leaving me at $300 with labor (what a poor student can afford). Am I on the right track?!?!?!

Thanks so much in advance,

-Y.H.
Old 01-12-09, 11:24 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

To the folks who reach for additives ...

Are the codes based on the actions done by JL? [I read the fuel system cleaner ... additive between the lines].

Should Young Hova drive for 2 tanks full or should he not drive to protect the cat?

Salim
Old 01-12-09, 11:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The final series of codes are related to both the bank 1 sensor 1 behind the engine (P1133) and the one on the front bank 2, sensor 1 (P1153).

Salim brings up a good point about 2 tanks. There might still be some garbage in the fuel. I might inclined to toss in one bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner to thoroughly clean out the injectors (I have no idea what Jiffy put in there), but sometimes a/f sensors can act up from certain cleaners put in there, the Redline has been good for me.

I would actually drive it for at least another tank (not pushing the vehicle hard) to see if the sensor clean themselves up. First thing I'd do is actually pull the batter cables off and let the system reset.
Old 01-13-09, 02:15 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I very frankly wouldn't take a goat cart to JL! Truly sorry to hear of your problems. I'm sure you will come up with some good advice here, Lexmex often has some very good advice. Please, stay away from JL!
Old 01-13-09, 06:54 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
i very frankly wouldn't take a goat cart to jl! Truly sorry to hear of your problems. I'm sure you will come up with some good advice here, lexmex often has some very good advice. Please, stay away from jl!
+++++++1^^^^^^^
Old 01-13-09, 08:36 AM
Young Hova
Driver School Candidate

You guys should be paid by Lexus - Seriously. This forum is what keeps my hope alive. I am due to get another vehicle in about 2.5 years and one of the main reasons I'm considering sticking with Lexus is people like you all. Thanks so much.

Just a note, JL gave me something to put in the tank (additive) that I added with a full tank of gas. The tank of gas has not expired yet (I haven't used it all up). Should I hold off on the Redline? I will find out what JL put in, reset the codes and alert you as to any updates.

Awaiting Dr's Orders (I call you guys the Lexus Docs).

Greatly appreciated,

-Y.H.
Old 01-13-09, 09:26 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

If it was me I would give up on additives and get the old gas out (drive or drain), reset the computer and see what codes are coming up. If it is the O2 sensors you can do those yourself and save $.
Old 01-13-09, 09:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

See what I am worried about is what garbage JL gave you. Often times that can end up screwing with the injectors. I remember a lot of fuel injector cleaner garbage in Mexico that actually caused problems. When I first got there, I tried one of them from what was a known company there and it ended up causing some issues with getting the vehicle started until I had the time on the weekend to get something with a more known brand name.
Old 01-13-09, 01:57 PM
Young Hova
Driver School Candidate

Here's the update: They used Riteline Fuel System Cleaner and Additive. The codes have been cleared and I noticed that when I take my foot off the gas I hear a rattling sound when the car is on. The mechanic says it's my catalytic converter and that I can keep on driving (it's more of an emission's testing thing). So far, no codes have come up, but it still runs a bit rough, sucks gas like a Eureka vacuum, and rattles when I'm driving and I take my foot off the gas.

-Y.H.
Old 01-13-09, 02:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Young Hova
Here's the update: They used Riteline Fuel System Cleaner and Additive. The codes have been cleared and I noticed that when I take my foot off the gas I hear a rattling sound when the car is on. The mechanic says it's my catalytic converter and that I can keep on driving (it's more of an emission's testing thing). So far, no codes have come up, but it still runs a bit rough, sucks gas like a Eureka vacuum, and rattles when I'm driving and I take my foot off the gas.

-Y.H.
The catalytic converter can make a bit of a ping when you use a fuel injector cleaner...might sound like a rattle.

What's your MPG thus far?
Old 01-13-09, 02:14 PM
Young Hova
Driver School Candidate

Wow, LEXMEX I just might name my first child after you! the MPG was about 1/4 what it normally is so about 5-6 MPG, but seems to be improving gradually. So you don't think the catalytic converter needs to be replaced (like the mechanic was saying)?
Old 01-13-09, 03:54 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, LEXMEX I just might name my first child after you! the MPG was about 1/4 what it normally is so about 5-6 MPG, but seems to be improving gradually. So you don't think the catalytic converter needs to be replaced (like the mechanic was saying)?
No, your cat is likely fine. O2 sensors? When mine went it ran pig rich.
Old 01-13-09, 04:03 PM
Young Hova
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear that JL will not be making another $2,300 off me to replace my cat converter. I'm leaning towards the O2 sensors as well. The only problem is I want to get the right ones. Based on the most recent codes and copious amounts of reading on these forums, it seems like I should replace the A/F Sensors. I found a couple on e-bay so far. I just want to make sure I take the proper steps before buying. I am going to burn off the remaining tank of gas (as carguy07 and LEX-MEX recommended) and keep you guys posted.

P.S. By 02 sensors I take it you are referring to the 2 A/F sensors (front/rear) and not the actual 02 or knock sensor.

Thanks so much again,

-Y.H.
Old 01-14-09, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoa Lex,that`s quite an Honor
Old 01-14-09, 11:12 PM
Young Hova
Driver School Candidate

So, after a second tank of gas down I'm still experiencing the same symptoms (poor mileage, same codes P0125, P1153, P1133). I've read LEXMEX's post on a similar situation and have decided to take his advice and buy 2 A/F Sensors (O2). So far I've found them for about $150 each (if you can find them cheaper by tomorrrow, pls let me know). They are DENSO part # 234-9009. While I'm at it, I figure I may as well get rid of the annoying undercarriage rattle that comes on after every bump I hit (after lots of reading guessing it's front and rear sway bar bushings *fingers crossed*). Gonna keep REX alive!

Stay tuned,

-Y.H.

Quick Reply: Freaking out!!! Cel codes $985.00 repair!