RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 06:38 PM
cyberhiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Need New Tires

First, the Club Lexus Forum has been a fantastic source for answers and observations since we purchased our used '02 RX300 several years ago. Plus you've helped me save $$$$. Keep up the great work everyone!

Now my question: Looks like it's time to put a new set of tires on our RX300. I believe I remember reading on forum posts some recommendations for tire brands that owners are using. Please replies with thoughts or links to past posts with tire information. Thanks.
Old 01-01-09, 07:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Take a look back and a search on CrossTerrain from Michelin or CrossTerrains or Cross Terrains and usually the discussion went from there.

I have been using 235-70-16 CrossTerrains for 6.5 years and they were good to me in Mexico riding just fine in Florida. Only thing is compared to the 225 version, there is a better treadwear going the 225 route.
Old 01-01-09, 10:31 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Just one note: you are in NY, and if your need snow tires the crossterrains are not snow certified by Michelin. I called them and confirmed this. However they do drive well in the snow, but do not have the M/S rating.
Old 01-01-09, 11:48 PM
ColdLexus
Driver

Default Snow tires

Check out this Canadian Driver snow tire test series:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/tires/tires.htm

Michelin X-Ice Xi2 and Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi topped the tests.

I can really tell the difference the Michelins make, as I have them on my Camry. My brother has the Nokians on his TL, and thinks they are the bomb.
The little bit of extra grip over the competition, and the superior grip over all-season is worth every penny.
Old 01-02-09, 04:33 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberhiker
First, the Club Lexus Forum has been a fantastic source for answers and observations since we purchased our used '02 RX300 several years ago. Plus you've helped me save $$$$. Keep up the great work everyone!

Now my question: Looks like it's time to put a new set of tires on our RX300. I believe I remember reading on forum posts some recommendations for tire brands that owners are using. Please replies with thoughts or links to past posts with tire information. Thanks.
You will love the Bridgestone Alenza's!!!
Old 01-02-09, 07:20 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Integrity as OEM tires, they were garbage on rain and snow. Then I went to CrossTerrains x 235 size and they were EXCELLENT in rain and snow. So far ahead of the Integrity it was like day and night. Never got stuck in snow over 15", go around turn with never even a bump of the rear turning in. Fantastic tires. Recently had to change and happen to be at dealer and they had a very good deal on set of 4 of BF Duelers... first snow fall and I have a feeling they'll end up like the Integrity when the treads go low. Already they are sliding just slightly.

Once the Duelers go, I wouldn't not think about anything but the X-terrains.
Old 01-02-09, 06:31 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of the Kumho Solus tires....They are a Korean manufacturer...

I have had them on my 2001 RX for 1 year and are very happy with them...

Also have had a speed rated set on a 2003 Boxter and also like the performance...

Good Luck!!
Old 01-02-09, 06:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

It's going to be interesting for me. The CrossTerrains in Mexico lasted me 1.5 years of basically daily driving (I don't remember offhand how that worked out to in miles given my commute there). However, my last set of CrossTerrains that I got in 2005 last me almost the entire remainder of the time I was there (almost 3 years) after I made the move to nitrogen. Now, it will be interesting with nitrogen and Florida weather though I am not running as many miles as I used to.
Old 01-02-09, 08:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default X-Terrain

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It's going to be interesting for me. The CrossTerrains in Mexico lasted me 1.5 years of basically daily driving (I don't remember offhand how that worked out to in miles given my commute there). However, my last set of CrossTerrains that I got in 2005 last me almost the entire remainder of the time I was there (almost 3 years) after I made the move to nitrogen. Now, it will be interesting with nitrogen and Florida weather though I am not running as many miles as I used to.
My Cross-terrains went 52K with 70/30 local/highway driving, regular air filled, and mixed northeast weather. The 52K was done in 3 years (3 winters).
Old 01-02-09, 08:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
My Cross-terrains went 52K with 70/30 local/highway driving, regular air filled, and mixed northeast weather. The 52K was done in 3 years (3 winters).
Mexico City has a nasty habit of chewing up tires. I swear on literally every corner was a vulcanizador (tire repair guy) would literally take the tire off the rim put in a patch) and put the tire back on. Only cost about $5 USD or so. I wish I could have gotten that kind of mileage down there.
Old 01-02-09, 08:43 PM
bkr300
Lead Lap

i also have the x terrains and i like them so far. but the first time i saw them on the car i thought they were pretty ugly. im used to it now
Old 01-02-09, 08:52 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

I still have a set or Yokohoma Geolander H/T-S G051's and love them. I have 60K on them now and will need to replace fairly soon. Due to the climate I'm in, I really don't need anything more aggressive and I will buy the same tire again.

I ran the 225/70R-16 size, I may play with a slightly wider width next time. Someone mentioned Kumhos? I had a set of Ecsta AST's on my wife's Camry and they were great for 10K. After that is was downhill (noise and tread wear) and I had to replace them at the 28K mark.
Old 01-02-09, 10:15 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

bridgestone dueler Alenza's are the best hands down.

They were rated the highest at tirerack 2 years ago and still hold the lead by a lot today.

That's what i've got on my car now. Snow, rain, dry, makes the car like precipitation isn't even there. Spend the extra dime and sleep well at night knowing you have the best tires
Old 01-06-09, 03:19 PM
Francis
Pole Position

I have 85k (90% fwy, 10% city) miles on my Michelin Cross Terrain 235/70/16 and still running. Very satisfied about it but it is almost done. I may try Bridgestone dueler Alenza next because they are cheaper than Michelin in Tirerack.com.
Old 01-08-09, 12:44 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the General Grabber HTS. They are highly rated on Tire Rack and reasonably priced. I just got a set and so far, I am happy with them.

Quick Reply: Need New Tires