RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

$%#@#&* Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 07:01 AM
lastplace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $%#@#&* Oil Filter

Tried doing my my own oil change yesterday. Oil went ok, then came the filter, what a pain in the ***. I would to shoot the bastard who came up with that design. Got the old filter off, finally. Installed a Mann filter, tighten to snug + a little, maybe 1/4 turn. Drove it a couple miles last night, small oil mark 3" x 3," under the filter this morning.

What have I done wrong? To lose or to tight?
Old 12-28-08, 08:13 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I assume you made sure the old "oring" came off.

I typically do a spin to face and then 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

So just try to tighten more with a rag and of needed 1/8 turn with the tool.

Salim
Old 12-28-08, 08:17 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lastplace
Tried doing my my own oil change yesterday. Oil went ok, then came the filter, what a pain in the ***. I would to shoot the bastard who came up with that design. Got the old filter off, finally. Installed a Mann filter, tighten to snug + a little, maybe 1/4 turn. Drove it a couple miles last night, small oil mark 3" x 3," under the filter this morning.

What have I done wrong? To lose or to tight?
Could be nothing but residual oil collecting. No matter how careful you are, oil will run down the block, etc and you will get a few drips...should clear up in a few days.

PS with the proper wrench, getting the old filter off is super easy. You can get one from Pep Boys for a few bucks. I like the strap type which works in either direction.
Old 12-28-08, 08:56 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Unless you see it leaking right at the filter I would agree it is just old oil dripping off the block and out of the chassis. I hose mine off after I'm finished and it still seems to drip out of the frame for a few days afterward.
Old 12-28-08, 09:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

After I finish doing mine, I usually use some car cleaner and spray the front of the engine block and then spray some water in there.
Old 12-28-08, 10:08 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

Ummm, sorry to be a noob here in RX land, but why would oil be coming off the engine after an oil change? I haven't changed the oil for an RX, but have done hundreds of oil changes on Camry, Accord, other Honda's, Chevy's, etc.
When I have pulled the plug, drained the oil, pulled the filter, let that drain, usually a quick wipe with a shop rag cleans up any "splatter" or residual oil. After replacing the filter and drain plug (checking to make sure any old gaskets & o-rings are removed), a last quick wipe of the drain pan & surounding engine area is all I do.
In all those changes I have yet to have any oil drips after running the vehicle, or letting it sit overnight.
I would assume not removing the o-ring or a gasket, or not a tight enough turn on either the filter or drain plug is causing the oil leak.
A final option would be if you spilled some oil when you were refilling the oil. If you didn't clean that up, it would "slowly" ooze down the engine and result in your small puddle.
Old 12-28-08, 11:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ColdLexus
Ummm, sorry to be a noob here in RX land, but why would oil be coming off the engine after an oil change? I haven't changed the oil for an RX, but have done hundreds of oil changes on Camry, Accord, other Honda's, Chevy's, etc.
When I have pulled the plug, drained the oil, pulled the filter, let that drain, usually a quick wipe with a shop rag cleans up any "splatter" or residual oil. After replacing the filter and drain plug (checking to make sure any old gaskets & o-rings are removed), a last quick wipe of the drain pan & surounding engine area is all I do.
In all those changes I have yet to have any oil drips after running the vehicle, or letting it sit overnight.
I would assume not removing the o-ring or a gasket, or not a tight enough turn on either the filter or drain plug is causing the oil leak.
A final option would be if you spilled some oil when you were refilling the oil. If you didn't clean that up, it would "slowly" ooze down the engine and result in your small puddle.
It usually winds up just some excess oil that drained out when pulling off the oil filter. I am able to take off my oil filter from just opening up the hood and grabbing it (no need to go underneath) and that is even with a larger K&N HP-2009 oil filter, but still there will inevitably be a bit of a mess here.

Now here is an old picture with an OEM-sized K&N HP-1002 oil filter. You will notice it's still a bit dark below from oil crud. It still bakes on a bit even if I carb clean it and wash it, but ideally I'd have to get in there with a brush.

You will also note just to the right is front coolant drain plug and to the left is the active engine mount.
Attached Thumbnails $%#@#&* Oil Filter-img_1238.jpg  
Old 12-28-08, 11:52 AM
ColdLexus
Driver

Thumbs up Picture tells the story

Thanks Lexmex, the picture tells all.
I can now understand how some oil will end up on the engine under normal oil change circumstances.
Old 12-28-08, 12:54 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are plenty of vehicles where the oil filter has a upward pitch, the RX and my '92 Integra also. So, when you unscrew the filter, the oil left in filter will drip out, but there will always be flow down the block.

With any leakage right after the filter change, if it's a few drops, it's probably cast off. If you still see it after a few trips, then I'd worry that perhaps something is wrong and do a once over again. Perhaps you over-tightened the filter and the ring warped, or maybe it's coming from the plug not tightened properly.
Old 12-28-08, 08:07 PM
Whitestrok
Driver School Candidate

Buy the wrench they sell at the dealership. It's less then $10. iT FITS ON END OF FILTER AND LOOSENS WITH A 3/8 DRIVE EXTENSION. easy to remove from above no need to crawl under RX.
Old 12-29-08, 12:54 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdLexus
Thanks Lexmex, the picture tells all.
I can now understand how some oil will end up on the engine under normal oil change circumstances.
And that picture is from below. I always change my DIL's from above and you can't hardly see the filter from above, much less get past the manifold and fan's to get to it and get a grip on it. If you saw it from above you'd understand why so many guys complain about it. I like a challenge but i don't particularly like that one. LOL
Old 12-29-08, 07:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by code58
And that picture is from below. I always change my DIL's from above and you can't hardly see the filter from above, much less get past the manifold and fan's to get to it and get a grip on it. If you saw it from above you'd understand why so many guys complain about it. I like a challenge but i don't particularly like that one. LOL
This is a top view with the longer, oversized K&N HP-2009 filter that I now use, but I remember using the OEM size and you could barely see it from the top.
Attached Thumbnails $%#@#&* Oil Filter-img_2897.jpg  
Old 12-29-08, 07:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is an older shot with the OEM-sized K&N HP-1002.
Attached Thumbnails $%#@#&* Oil Filter-img_0701.jpg  
Old 12-30-08, 06:17 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plus, OEM is brown, so makes it even harder to see in the dark, but if you look through the manifold you'll be able to see the filter with the white text.
Old 12-30-08, 06:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

This vehicle is a prime candidate for an oil filter relocation kit!!

Quick Reply: $%#@#&* Oil Filter