RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Please HELP! Just purchased 99 RX300, ECT/SNOW Light Dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 10:16 AM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP! Just purchased 99 RX300, ECT/SNOW Light Dead

Hi all, I would really appreciate anyone who can help. I just purchased my first lexus, a 1999 Rx300 and after purchasing it I realized that the "ECT/SNOW" light doesn't light up in the instrument cluster. I've searched and cannot find any pics of dashes. So I ask if someone here can take a picture of their instrument cluster with the "ECT" on and another pic with it on with "snow mode".

I read the other forums on how to remove and replace the bulbs for the "D" light (mines out as well) but I just really need to know if there is just one light bulb for the "ECT/SNOW" or are there two? Also is the color green or amber or what? So if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it! THANKS!
Old 11-01-08, 09:02 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Ok, just got finished speaking to Kuni Lexus, and they said that the replacement bulb for the "ECT/SNOW" bulb is part number #83101-04020. So I'm assuming there is only one bulb? Isn't there a "ECT" light and "Snow" light that lights up on the instrument cluster?
Old 11-01-08, 10:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

There are two colors that light up, one for PWR (green) and one for SNOW (orange).
Old 11-01-08, 11:00 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lexmex, you wouldn't happen to know the part numbers would you?
Old 11-02-08, 07:38 AM
bushwakka
Driver School Candidate

Default ECT/Snow

Just purchased 99 Harrier. Fwd 2.2L Engine. Dont have PWR option on mine. Only ECT/Snow. Took some pix while ON. As per previous threads, I gathered that it only starts in 2nd Gear to prevent wheel spin. However since we have warm winters, does it affect the driving if kept on on normal tarred/off road tracks?
Attached Thumbnails Please HELP! Just purchased 99 RX300, ECT/SNOW Light Dead-imgp2212.jpg  
Old 11-02-08, 09:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am not 100% sure about the part number offhand. I do know that from recent experience that Lexus would have the parts diagram up on their computer to pinpoint the precise bulb. I was looking at another diagram I saw recently, and I think it might be the following:

90099-53009
83101-14040

I'll remind everyone. The service manual that several of us have rarely has the part numbers that we usually need. It is a separate diagram that Lexus has.
Old 11-02-08, 09:22 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bushwakka
Just purchased 99 Harrier. Fwd 2.2L Engine. Dont have PWR option on mine. Only ECT/Snow. Took some pix while ON. As per previous threads, I gathered that it only starts in 2nd Gear to prevent wheel spin. However since we have warm winters, does it affect the driving if kept on on normal tarred/off road tracks?
Ah yes, the blessed manual mode (M). I wish I had that tiptronic feature available when I was still drag racing in Mexico.

You probably won't notice much difference when using SNOW on the offroad tracks. I particularly use it on the rainy days we get here in Miami just for better control and particularly when I was back in Mexico on the expressways, where the potential for the oil and water mixing on the road was more so than on U.S. roads and any type of traction control was a must down there.
Old 11-02-08, 09:31 AM
cduluk
Pole Position

Why would the ECT SNOW bulb burn out, it's not used that often...

Does the system indeed "work"? If you are in D at rest, then press the Snow button and accelerate so slightly, do you notice the transmission seeming to work a little harder? All it does is start you in 2nd so you don't "spin-out" when accelerating when you're stuck in snow etc.

My guess is a faulty switch/fuse. The probability of the bulb burning out is pretty slim for it's limited use. It's the same bulb all the pilot lights use in the cluster. Places like autozone etc will have them...

Check to see if indeed the system is even working first before you pull your cluster out.
Old 11-03-08, 12:16 AM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Ok, will have to give it a try first then. It is a bit suspicious now that I think about it that both the "ECT Power" and "ECT Snow" lights are out.

could it be a fuse or relay?
Old 11-03-08, 01:56 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, "ECT/POWER" and "ECT/SNOW" works, so I'm gonna be ordering the light bulbs from Irontoad.com.

Instrument Light Bulb for: "D" (Drive) Light (part#83119-24670)

and "ECT/SNOW" & "ECT/POWER" Light (part#83101-04020) (both same bulb, speedo has different colored lenses for each, "green and orange")
Old 11-03-08, 01:59 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bushwakka
Bushwakka, why is there a "M" to the right of your "D" drive light? Just noticed that.
Old 11-03-08, 03:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dejafa
Bushwakka, why is there a "M" to the right of your "D" drive light? Just noticed that.
That's because the Toyota Harrier 2.2L he has comes with a manual tiptronic mode, something our RX300s don't have.
Old 11-03-08, 09:15 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That's because the Toyota Harrier 2.2L he has comes with a manual tiptronic mode, something our RX300s don't have.
wow! sweet!
Old 11-11-08, 10:48 PM
dejafa
Driver School Candidate

Hi again, ok I just received my new light bulbs from Irontoad.com, Ryan gave me two extra sockets for free for the "ECT" light bulbs. The light bulbs themselves were fairly inexpensive the "ECT/Power" and "ECT/Snow" light bulbs were the same bulbs, priced at $2.08 (83101-04020) and I order a "D" light bulb priced at $4.07 (83119-24670). Shipping was the most expensive at $9.99 for orders under $50(I think). I also received the bulbs fairly, It was confirmed shipped last Thursday and I received it today.

Anyways, I changed the "D" light bulb and it worked! Then I noticed that my "P" (Park) light went out! So now I gotta order another light bulb. Also when I changed out the "ECT/Power" and "ECT/Snow" light bulbs their still dead and not working! Anyone have any idea what might cause this? I switched the light bulbs around with the "seat belt light bulb" and it worked so I know the new bulbs I received are working. Anyone know if it could possibly be a fuse or relay or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Last edited by dejafa; 11-11-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 05:58 AM
E36to2GS
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to bring back a 2 year old thread. But did you find a resolution to this issue? I have the same problem with my GS 400. Pressing the rocker switch for power or snow ect does not activate the dash light. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Please HELP! Just purchased 99 RX300, ECT/SNOW Light Dead