RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 12:40 PM
lxus2001
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearing

Hello all,

since I first got my ‘01 RX I’ve noticed it’s been loud on the road. Like, a lot louder than it should be. When riding in the backseat it sounds like an airplane. At first I thought it was the engine, but it increases with speed and not RPMs. Then tires, but if it’s only coming from one wheel (rear left) that wouldn’t make much sense. When changing brake calipers I noticed the wheel had some give to it when off of the ground (which it shouldn’t). It changes in pitch when I turn the wheel. With everything else eliminated, I feel like I’m probably looking at a bad bearing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone know how much mechanics usually charge to fix it? Thanks!
Old 03-18-20, 06:06 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 622 Posts

Hello,

Does your car have an AWD system?
Wiggly wheel, airplane sound, those are all symptoms of a bad bearing. If you have a FWD car, it is not that hard to replace at home, since the rear bearing is not pressed in, it bolts in with the hub.
AWD on the other hand is a bit different, it is pressed in, just like the front one, so it will be tough to replace if you don't have experience. It costs around $300-350 parts and labor to replace it at the shop.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 03-18-20, 07:55 PM
lxus2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Does your car have an AWD system?
Wiggly wheel, airplane sound, those are all symptoms of a bad bearing. If you have a FWD car, it is not that hard to replace at home, since the rear bearing is not pressed in, it bolts in with the hub.
AWD on the other hand is a bit different, it is pressed in, just like the front one, so it will be tough to replace if you don't have experience. It costs around $300-350 parts and labor to replace it at the shop.

a few questions:

I’ve seen bearing/hub assemblies for sale for the rear wheels, would these also work? They seem to be much easier to install
Old 03-18-20, 08:12 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

That is what I wrote about earlier - hub and bearing assembly will only work for the Front-Wheel Drive RX300. If you have an All-Wheel Drive version, you will have a separate bearing and hub, which are pressed in the knuckle.
Please refer to the diagrams below.

Here is a diagram for the Front-Wheel Drive Lexus RX300, it is a hub and bearing assembly that just bolts in to the knuckle.

Here is a diagram for the All-Wheel Drive Lexus RX300, the bearing and the hub go separately from each other, and press-fitted into the knuckle.

Old 03-18-20, 08:35 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

I just did my L/Rear wheel bearing (AWD)
It hummed for a good month before it really bugged me.
That was not fun.
Ended up taking the whole spindle assembly out to get it pressed out and pressed the new bearing at a shop.
That was the easy part.
Not so fun --
Parking break shoes was a pain to take out and put back in esp if they are rusted.
Trying to disconnect the ABS connector from the inside panel.
You can try taking the 10mm bolt out of the sensor.
Mine was so rusted that i didint think the sensor would come out anyways so i opted for the connector inside.

OEM parts:
Bearing -- I dont want to do it twice. lol
snap ring -- just in case it broke coming apart
axle nut -- never re-use a staked axle nut.
Old 05-06-20, 12:43 PM
KWilson
9th Gear

Hey guys.
First time caller and long time listener.
I have a 2000 RX300 AWD with ABS and I want to replace my rear bearing and hub assembly.
I'm not looking for dealer parts, but hear a lot of people talking about RockAuto. Would anyone know the part number or link to said parts? I've looked around and see a lot for the FWD model or AWD but no mention of ABS. I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct part.
Any help would be great and apologize if it's been covered already and didn't see it.

-Kevin
Old 05-06-20, 12:45 PM
KWilson
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Nad1370
I just did my L/Rear wheel bearing (AWD)
It hummed for a good month before it really bugged me.
That was not fun.
Ended up taking the whole spindle assembly out to get it pressed out and pressed the new bearing at a shop.
That was the easy part.
Not so fun --
Parking break shoes was a pain to take out and put back in esp if they are rusted.
Trying to disconnect the ABS connector from the inside panel.
You can try taking the 10mm bolt out of the sensor.
Mine was so rusted that i didint think the sensor would come out anyways so i opted for the connector inside.

OEM parts:
Bearing -- I dont want to do it twice. lol
snap ring -- just in case it broke coming apart
axle nut -- never re-use a staked axle nut.

Was your model with or without ABS? I'm looking for the same part and have the AWD model with ABS.
Old 05-06-20, 01:15 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KWilson
Hey guys.
First time caller and long time listener.
I have a 2000 RX300 AWD with ABS and I want to replace my rear bearing and hub assembly.
I'm not looking for dealer parts, but hear a lot of people talking about RockAuto. Would anyone know the part number or link to said parts? I've looked around and see a lot for the FWD model or AWD but no mention of ABS. I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct part.
Any help would be great and apologize if it's been covered already and didn't see it.

-Kevin
Hello,

It seems like all 2000 Lexus RX300 came with ABS, so you don't have to worry about it.

As I wrote earlier, if your car has AWD system, you will have a pressed bearing. Part Number for the bearing is 90369-38019, and the Part Number for the hub is 42301-32060. I doubt that you will need to replace the hub, if you just have a few studs missing, you can buy them separately, P/N is 90942-02070.
Here is an SKF bearing that should fit your car. SKF is a pretty refutable company, and it has a pretty good warranty.

Old 05-08-20, 03:56 AM
BudTC
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello,

It seems like all 2000 Lexus RX300 came with ABS, so you don't have to worry about it.

As I wrote earlier, if your car has AWD system, you will have a pressed bearing. Part Number for the bearing is 90369-38019, and the Part Number for the hub is 42301-32060. I doubt that you will need to replace the hub, if you just have a few studs missing, you can buy them separately, P/N is 90942-02070.
Here is an SKF bearing that should fit your car. SKF is a pretty refutable company, and it has a pretty good warranty.

For those looking for oem parts at reasonable prices, check out McGeorge Toyota. Got a third gen valve cover at a substantial discount.
McGeorge Toyota Parts Hope this helps someone!
Old 08-22-22, 06:07 AM
g2only
3rd Gear

Appreciate all the info. My ‘03 RX300 needs driver rear as well (AWD, of course)…I was trying to find a YouTube video on the process, but only came across ONE and it was pretty dismal (complaints, no showing any details).

Anyone have better video source by chance?
Old 08-22-22, 06:04 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

Is it RX300 or RX330?

If you have RX330, those bearings are bolted on, the only difference from a FWD car is that you also need to undo the Axle Nut. Below is the video of a 2001 Toyota Highlander bearing replacement that goes into details, Highlander has the same exact suspension setup as RX.

If you have an RX300, here is a thread that explains how to press that bearing out.

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-22-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-23, 07:48 PM
Cperry54
2nd gear

Default Left rear bearing.

Hey fellow member Left rear bearing for that 2000 Lexus. Part # 514002, by National bearing.

Please edit/update the post with AWD/FWD model [they may be same but just in case]. Thanks Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-19-23 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Needs more info
Old 01-18-23, 08:01 PM
Cperry54
2nd gear

Maybe you should try google. One thing for sure,if you try this fix be EXTRA careful with the speed sensor. 350.00.
Old 06-11-23, 12:35 AM
Hetz1
9th Gear

Default Rear wheel bearing all wheel drive RX300

Hello,

Is it RX300 or RX330?

If you have RX330, those bearings are bolted on, the only difference from a FWD car is that you also need to undo the Axle Nut. Below is the video of a 2001 Toyota Highlander bearing replacement that goes into details, Highlander has the same exact suspension setup as RX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8SzFvlA0Q

If you have an RX300, here is a thread that explains how to press that bearing out.

Unfortunately the RX300 has pressed bearings in the rear, however your front ones are bolt ons. When you get to the 330's and newer all four are bolt-ons. The way I found out to save time is just buying a complete rear spindle assembly with the hub and bearing assembly included. I paid a little over $80 for each side. It saved a lot of time labor wise and having to drive somewhere to have a shop press in the bearings for me.
Old 06-12-23, 09:36 AM
MattRX
Racer

Received 705 Likes on 510 Posts

The fronts are still press in on 330/350. Even my 2014 RX350 is still press in on the front. The RX didn’t get front bolt in until 2016 and the Highlander didn’t get front bolt on bearings until 2020.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing