RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changin' Oil-removing oil filter

Old 08-02-02, 12:40 PM
jcg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that asked, I believe that the designer of the oil filter location was Masters and Johnson.

Also, when I remove my filter, I gets lots of oil running down the engine. I have been told that some filters have a valve built in to stop this but it doesn't seem to work for me.
Old 08-03-02, 02:58 PM
white01
Driver

Thumbs up

Two words for ya: Planned Obsolescence

As it relates to consumable goods, some of the materials auto manufacturers use in the manufacture of their vehicles will fail after a period of time so that customers will have to replace certain components every few years or so.

Air/Oil filters, batteries, tires, brake pads, windsheild wipers, & light bulbs, to name a few - will need replacing

I wouldn't consider fluids (i.e. engine oil, coolant, transmission oil, etc.) to be in this category. However, in comparison to coventional motor oil - synthetic oils allow you to run longer between intervals - owner's of cars with computer regulated service intervals know what I'm taling about, as most of the cars with this type of technology run synthetic engine oil from the factory. Oil service intervals can be anywhere from 7500 to 10000 miles - some cases slightly longer.

"Planned Obsolescence" is not a bad concept actually, the suppliers have to make money somehow. Luckily for the keen consumer there is an aftermarket that looks out for us, ergo K&N, by making a longer lasting, high performance air filter
Old 11-30-02, 09:23 AM
DeeVonn
Driver

i use shell helix ultra and seems quite good.
less noise and more power , but i still don't know about the durrabillity.
btw which one is better the TRD oil filters or K&N one's ???
Old 04-13-03, 06:41 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RX300TC: changed mine yesterday at 2,608 miles on a 2003 RX300. Oil does drip down over the engine and pools in a couple small areas on the side of the engine, I used a rag and a long screwdriver to soak most of that up.

I am convinced that Lexus must power wash the engine block as whenever I had a dealer change the oil on my '99 I never had any oil leaks or saw any oil anywhere yet I do not see how one could ever remove this filter without making a mess out of the side of the block. I loosened the filter, unscrewed it as quickly as possible from below and flipped it up verticle as I pulled it out from below and in that process which took maybe 30 seconds about a third of a cup of oil drained out. The filter was a little less than half full. I think I'll hose that area off today when the engine is cold.

I used Castrol full synthetic and a filter from Lexus dealer that cost about $8.99 including the plug washer this dealer taped to the filter box. The drain plug had no washer when I removed it and I'd swear there were a lot less engine noises after the synthetic was installed.
Old 04-13-03, 09:34 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, regarding the oil dripping, if you reread my original post you'll see that I only slightly loosen the filter at first... this controls how the oil drips out. I catch most of the oil that drips from the filter in the pan and when it stops I remove the entire filter. The area of the engine that catches oil is minimum using this technique.

Regarding how the dealer does it... they simply put it on a lift or use an oil bay. This makes it very easy for a tech to work standing under the car and is a very clean procedure.
Old 04-14-03, 03:35 PM
parula
Instructor

RX: yes, I noticed that at first then decided to try for the quick spin off but by then had oil everywhere.

Tks for the tip !

I am sure that would be better than a quick removal; using your technique and slipping a rag around the filter would probably catch most everything. Easy next time around.
Old 04-16-03, 10:02 AM
lexian
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb change oil filter

Let your car sit at least 1 hr, then just change the filter without draining the oil. Is there any reason why you all don't use toyota, dealers filter?

Last edited by lexian; 04-16-03 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 04:21 PM
parula
Instructor

Lexian, I mentioned in my post that I did use a Toyota filter, but even though they nicely included the plug washer for a total of ~$9.00 I can't say I'd spend the money there again. The washer should last a number of changes and any good filter should be fine with full synth. imo. Though, for the ability to show a real receipt for an RX filter from a dealer maybe it's worth the couple extra bucks.

Will definitely try the slow drain of the filter the next time, tks much!
Old 04-17-03, 10:38 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

First time I heard of changing the filter and not oil. Must be a reason to do so. I had heard of folks not changing filters but changing oil.

The drain plug washer is made of soft crushable metal to seal the gap. One squezzed, it does no spring back to orignal size for second/third compression. It is less than a $ and why risk the failure or even drips in the garage.

Oil gelling is one of the issues with RX engine. Fortunately Lexus is behind their product. BUT as owners, it is up to us to keep the oil/filter replaced and store away the receipts. I would urge all not to skimp.

Salim
Old 08-18-04, 09:13 AM
RolandB
Driver School Candidate

Default Filter Wrench

I know this is an old forum but having read through it all, I thought I might ask about the filter wrenches being used by you DIY owners. I went to my dealer yesterday and after pressing, the guy in the parts department brought out a service manual for a 2001 ES300. Under the "LU" tab, it tells how to change the oil and references a tool SST, 09228-07501 for removing the filter. He attempted to look up the part but got 'invalid part number.' He then called next door to the Toyota parts guy and they had no trouble finding it and said it was priced at about $35 and they did not stock it. I passed on ordering it. I have had difficulty finding the 'fluted' wrench at my Auto Zone and Pep Boy stores that fits the Toyota filter. Auto Zone stocked OEM filters and their corresponding 'wrenches'. I wanted a wrench which would allow me to remove and install the filter. (I've always seen that you need to make 2/3 to 3/4 more turn after filter gasket contact with the block. This can be tough to do by hand in the tight space on my 2001 RX300! Anyone know of where to get the 'fluted' wrench (3/8 socket driver or other nut) that fits the Toyota filter at a more reasonable price? The same size would fit both V-6 and V-8 Toyota filters!
Old 08-18-04, 12:22 PM
MaGoo
Driver School Candidate

Default Stick with Toyota Filters

Yes the front shroud has 8 10mm screws and 2 clips that hold it on. Just remove and Tada there's the oil filter. Oh yeah stay away from any jiffy lube or qiuck lube places.. Nothing but trouble.

Last edited by MaGoo; 08-23-04 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-20-04, 09:22 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Understand the filter wrench is not the common band/strap type, but is the filter end cap type
with fourteen flats in the cup. It fits very snug on the filter and 3/8 drive. Both plastic and steel
designs are available and are $5 for steel...
Old 08-20-04, 08:26 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Talking Wrench

I wouldn't go with the cap type filter 'wrench' because those always tend to slip when the filer cap and filter don't fit just right. You can can by with this by using sandpaper for grip, but it's just a hassle.

I use a loop filter wrench (attached) which just goes over the filter, attaches to a 3/8" socket (with 3" extension) and turns the filter in the direction of the wrench. To tighten, turn closkwise, to loosen, counter-clockwise. Very easy, no grip problems.

You can get this at any of those generic car part places for around $10.

The filter location is a b-tch to get to, but with this filter wrench, makes it better.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Changin' Oil-removing oil filter-wrench.jpg  
Old 08-23-04, 02:58 AM
ederny
Pole Position

I like MHC's filter wrench - will have to look for one next time in the autoparts store. One thing you can't be prepared enough for is the extra oil that will spill from the filter when you losen it. Get your drip pan ready, rags and newspaper. If you are trying this for the first time spresd newspaper under the front of the engine area. See more tips at RX300how2.
Old 08-26-04, 09:31 AM
RolandB
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Filter Wrenches

Tammy, thanks for the 'flat' count. I will look for a 14! So far, three different auto parts didn't have one nor Sears. I will also look for one like MHC has. It looks neat and from what he says, will work to remove or install! Ederny, you are soooo right... lots of newspaper and absorption material in the front. Try as one can, the filter removal will seep oil! I try to give a warm engine 30 minutes to an hour before removing. The angle is almost a guarantee of 'down the arm' flow and with all the threads, there's a few turns before you can hold it upright! Anyone know which chain (with store in Dallas) might carry either or both of the two mentioned?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changin' Oil-removing oil filter