RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changin' Oil-removing oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 11:26 AM
FCobra94
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LexRX
Well, dahm, I didn't think fram was that crappy. I want it off my RX now. I'll make it up to it next time with a Mobile 1 filter. I saw the K&N Filters at Advanced Auto Parts.

Now that I read the article, I don't feel right having the filter on at all. I'll have to have all my oil replaced again if I have the filter changed, won't I? What should I do? I don't want to pay for another oil change, but I will! help.

-Nick
What kind of oil are you using now? You could just change the filter and top off the oil...That's what a couple people do when they run synthetic...
Old 02-23-02, 02:14 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I'm using Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30. You think I could have the dealer replace the filter and top it off. I really don't see any way to get the filter off without spilling out a lot of oil, it's placed so horribly.

-Nick
Old 02-23-02, 03:34 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Arrow

Originally posted by LexRX
I'm using Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30. You think I could have the dealer replace the filter and top it off. I really don't see any way to get the filter off without spilling out a lot of oil, it's placed so horribly.

-Nick
Yeah but the oil pan is wayyyy down at the bottom of the motor and the filter is tiny and placed much higher up (at an upward angle even) then where the oild drains; if you do it when the engine is cold, you won't have any oil draining out at all. It probably holds less then a 1/4 quart of oil...if you get rid of the plastic shroud, change the filter, and then topoff what little oil the filter has in it, you'll be just fine and you won't get charged the price of a complete oil change...I'm sure Lexus is gonna charge you full price even if you do take them all the stuff...I'm surprised they do it at all
Old 02-23-02, 03:55 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

FCobra94, you're right, I didn't even think about the oil filter location in relation to the oil pan...duh. It won't hurt to ask the dealer, I'll call them and see what they'll do. If nothing else, I'll just use a different brand in 5k miles. I don't see it causing much harm.

I had my oil changed on Thursday and the dealer took off $20 b/c I brought in my oil and filter. Not too bad.

Thanks
-Nick
Old 02-24-02, 03:21 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by FCobra94

Yup...I don't even have to pull out the ramps or the jack stands. Much easier on the RX then any of my other cars...
When I unscrewed the filter there was quite a bit of oil comming out of the filter. I drove the RX around for 5 minutes to loosen up the oil and and get any sediments dislodged, but it was a good 30 minutes before I got to the oil filter.

There was a decent amount of oil running to the bottom of the block when I unscrewed it.

I would have had an oil shower if I had been underneath that.

To be honest, I didn't expect any drainage because of the angle of the filter, but it was there.

FCobra94, don't you have a problem with oil from the filter when it's removed?

Last edited by additude; 02-24-02 at 03:27 AM.
Old 02-24-02, 12:22 PM
FCobra94
Driver

Originally posted by additude

FCobra94, don't you have a problem with oil from the filter when it's removed?
Not at all. I let the engine warm up to normal operating temperature, drain the oil out of the pan, and then take of the oil filter from the bottom of the car when I do an oil change. I just unscrew it and turn the filter to face up as soon as it's loose and all the oil has dripped out of it (which isn't too much at all)...
Old 02-24-02, 10:53 PM
lex227
Driver School Candidate

Default Lets take a poll should non Lexus oil chages void your warranty?

epk wrote in another thread:

"BUT you took the RX300 to Jiffy Lube, which is not authorized (officially) by Lexus (I think) to do oil changes as an alternative instead of heading to the dealers. They are able to do oil changes, just not specifically by other car companies. Therefore, I see it as a very hard liability case because you never have taken your RX300 to do an oil change at a Lexus dealer (most of the time, correct me if I'm wrong). There are many parts that you stated that they cannot come for to be blamed. "

Let's TAKE A POLL. Do you agree that if some one other than Lexus does your oil change it should void your warranty?

My Lexus dealer service manager told me, while looking at the Jiffy Lube sticker on my windshield, that since he did not have a record of Lexus oil changes my warranty claim for oil "gel" would be denied.
Old 02-25-02, 03:31 AM
additude
Intermediate

Default Re: Lets take a poll should non Lexus oil chages void your warranty?

Originally posted by lex227
Let's TAKE A POLL. Do you agree that if some one other than Lexus does your oil change it should void your warranty?
I was told I can do an oil change on my car as long as I keep the receipts for the oil and supplies. This would not void my warranty.

But! I am sure if I had receipts for oil changes and I was buying the cheapest filter and oil I could that I'd have problems if I had a warranty issue.

Now If I was using Mobil One and a Mobil One filter and changed my oil religiously then I would have an arguement.

But the bottom line is, if your dealer isn't changing your oil, then they have an arguement. And a valid one.

You need to make sure what you are doing has a valid arguement.
Old 02-25-02, 06:37 AM
sleepybobcat

It is against Federal law to deny warranty repairs, even if you use non-Lexus parts or non-Lexus shops for oil changes. This is stipulated in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The Federal Trade Commission regulations also clearly state this.

The ONLY exception is when Lexus provides the oil change or parts free to the vehicle owner. I'm suspecting this is why a lot of European luxury car makers(MB, Audi, BMW)are providing free 4yr/50k-mil scheduled maintainence right now...
Old 02-25-02, 10:06 AM
additude
Intermediate

sleepybobcat,

That's interesting

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-25-02, 10:21 AM
lex227
Driver School Candidate

Default Re lets taks a poll --this is the reality

I am only reporting what I was told by my Lexus service manager and the the dealership general manager.

Apparently Lexus has been doing the same thing around the country, based on all of the posts on other boards.

It may not make sense and it may not be legal, but that is what they are doing.

Even with the new policy of fixing damaged engines I was told I did not qualify because I had not had a Lexus performed oil change within one year. They have made an exception in my case for purposes of good will (and no doubt the fact that I am a lawyer)

Last edited by lex227; 02-25-02 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-25-02, 12:32 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

It seems as thought the majority of the confusion, or argument, is centering aroud whether or not having your oil changes performed somewhere other than the dealer will void the warranty - regardless of documentation.

What someone needs to do is find out fromt the horses mouth exactly what the reality of this is. Yes, someone other than me, I'm not having a sludge problem However, I do hope that those having problems get things resolved. This fact needs to be established, and if Toyota/Lexus doesn't have a specific policy on this issue, one will surly be made after all this is over with.

I'll have to agree with what mooretorque said on the other forum (why is this on TWO forums anyway? This topic was just dropped in here).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=4

2)Oil changes at shops other than Lexus DO count, as far as warranty is concerned. I live in a state with one dealer, so there are more than a few owners who are at least 3 hours from ANY Lexus dealer. The dealer here does not penalize those owners who choose to have some of their service done elsewhere. I changed oil on all my vehicles prior to 1992 when I bought my first Lexus. IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE!! There's oil, there's a filter and there's a crushable washer that functions as a gasket for the drain plug in the oil pan. Nothing new under the sun there. If your Lexus doesn't leave a trail of oil down the street, wasn't over or underfilled and didn't have the filter overtightened (merely makes it difficult to remove the next time), it was done properly.
Lexus shouldn't be able to require oil changes at the dealer because of situations like this (and I doubt they do), it's just not good business.

-Nick

Last edited by LexRX; 02-25-02 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-18-02, 06:22 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read all the threads here regarding changing the oil and appreciate all the info. I need to change the oil TODAY before I go on a long trip, one question:

There was mention somewhere of a "crushable washer" that I assume goes under the oil drain plug. Usually these need to be changed whenever the plug is removed and replaced. Any idea where I can buy these (other than a Lexus dealer, I don't have time today).

Thanks!
Old 07-18-02, 06:59 AM
additude
Intermediate

Don't worry to much about the oil drain plug crushable washer. I've changed oil a hundred times over the years and never changed it.

Be more concerned about over tightening the plug. It's easy to overtighten and possibly strip the threads on the pan itself. Then you'll have to replace the pan.

Snug is fine for the bolt/plug.

Have fun taking the filetr off. It's a ***** to do and almost impossible. Even from the bottom up. I have to go from the top down and always end up busting my hands and forarms trying to get it out.
Old 07-18-02, 07:03 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks additude!

I plan on using jack stands on the front and removing the plastic shroud... should be fine (I hope).

Any recommendations on an oil filter wrench that might make it easier?

Quick Reply: Changin' Oil-removing oil filter