RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

I Need Charcoal Canister RX300 parted out or good deal on new.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 08:51 PM
A2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you end up buying and installing the charcoal canister?
Old 02-16-09, 05:05 PM
A2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Today I pulled off the charcoal canister, which is pretty easy. I checked all of the vacuum hoses and found one that had a sort of spider web inside, blocking most of it. So I cleaned out that hose and re-installed.

I have an OTC Nemisys scan tool, so I am able to watch the pending codes during a test drive. Before pulling off the canister and cleaning, we did a test drive, and noticed that after clearing the codes, it wasn't too long before the same codes were pending again (before the MIL light comes on).

After cleaning the vacuum hose and re-installing the canister, we test drove, and running a system readiness test, the Catalyst system went from Not Ready to Ready much more quickly this time. We drove for about 50 minutes, both on the highway and on surface streets, and the evap system had not went back into a Ready state yet, but there were no codes pending.

So I'll drive it for another week and check it again, and if all is well at that point, then a darn spider web could have cost me over $800 if I would have just let the shop replace it.

One side note. I did take it to the shop I use (not a dealer, but works exclusively on Lexus vehicles), and they used the Lexus scan tool to verify that all three of the valves in the evap system were functioning properly.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (07-22-19)
Old 02-17-09, 07:04 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A2JZ
Today I pulled off the charcoal canister, which is pretty easy. I checked all of the vacuum hoses and found one that had a sort of spider web inside, blocking most of it. So I cleaned out that hose and re-installed.

I have an OTC Nemisys scan tool, so I am able to watch the pending codes during a test drive. Before pulling off the canister and cleaning, we did a test drive, and noticed that after clearing the codes, it wasn't too long before the same codes were pending again (before the MIL light comes on).

After cleaning the vacuum hose and re-installing the canister, we test drove, and running a system readiness test, the Catalyst system went from Not Ready to Ready much more quickly this time. We drove for about 50 minutes, both on the highway and on surface streets, and the evap system had not went back into a Ready state yet, but there were no codes pending.

So I'll drive it for another week and check it again, and if all is well at that point, then a darn spider web could have cost me over $800 if I would have just let the shop replace it.

One side note. I did take it to the shop I use (not a dealer, but works exclusively on Lexus vehicles), and they used the Lexus scan tool to verify that all three of the valves in the evap system were functioning properly.
A2,that was a very good idea,I`m glad it worked for you.