RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tired of MIL.. with P0446 code..I want to bypass

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 04:56 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of MIL.. with P0446 code..I want to bypass

I have gone thru all the steps that the tech manual says to do with a ohm meter and followed step by step and still have not found this problem.

My next step would have to be drive 200 miles to lexus shop that could fully diagnose the problem. then I read that alot of people still have it (MIL) pop up after a few miles after paying $700 to fix it..
so I do not want to pay $700 if that is about the average to repair this evap trouble code and it still possibly not be repaired.

does any one have any information on how to bypass charcoal canister to stop throwing the MIL?

I have been all over this system except to drop the gas tank, In my area of the woods, don't have access to lexus tester equipment.

I would appreciate any help you can send my way.

jon
Old 08-22-08, 06:47 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Hi1

I had the same problem.

I ended up buying a charcoal canister from the links on the bottom of the forum. Carson toyota for around $380.00. Changed it out in about 20 minutes, (Its easy!) and never had that code come up again.

I origionally went to Lexus dealership for a diagnosis, and they told me what I already knew, "Change gas cap and/or change charcoal canister assembly."
It cost me $90.00 for diagnosis, but I got a new RX400H for the day!

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Barry
Old 08-22-08, 05:51 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks barry for the carson toyota info, I will look into it.
did you change your gas cap to an OEM first before you bought the canister?

I put an aftermarket cap, but was wondering if i should by the OEM cap instead...

jon
Originally Posted by Barryst
Hi1

I had the same problem.

I ended up buying a charcoal canister from the links on the bottom of the forum. Carson toyota for around $380.00. Changed it out in about 20 minutes, (Its easy!) and never had that code come up again.

I origionally went to Lexus dealership for a diagnosis, and they told me what I already knew, "Change gas cap and/or change charcoal canister assembly."
It cost me $90.00 for diagnosis, but I got a new RX400H for the day!

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Barry
Old 08-23-08, 06:15 PM
Vockroth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all caps have to meet OEM standards. If I had to replace the Factory cap and one was not available I would use Stant or Robert Shaw. I would have checked the cap too after reading your post about the warning having to do with the carbon canister. In California the Gas Cap is checked as part of our Smog program. Your post is not clear, was it the cap?
Old 08-23-08, 07:21 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks for the comment, No the cap sealed tight..but you know The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. I am sorry that I was not clear, It could be the canister, but it could also be contributed to any or all of the above items..It is a very hard diagnoses without the lexus tester reader..

I think it is probably the safest to say that the lexus code reader would find it quicker than the steps that I have been using with the ohm testing of valves, since the lexus tester can pressurize the system or set up vacuum, check electrical current to see if the amount is right to open valves..check vapor pressure etc... I have the lexus repair manual from a great friend and I have just gone as far as I can go without lexus help.

I could start replacing parts,but that could run into a lot more money..in texas we don't have emissions test. so my alternative is to by pass it if possible or drive to lexus about 200 miles from my present location..

I really don't want to have to drive the distance and have to stay there until it is fixed..At present I do not have the cash flow, I am medically disabled so I guess I will see what information comes up.. thanks for your comments, I appreciate the aftermarket cap info. it is appreciated.

jon

Originally Posted by Vockroth
I think all caps have to meet OEM standards. If I had to replace the Factory cap and one was not available I would use Stant or Robert Shaw. I would have checked the cap too after reading your post about the warning having to do with the carbon canister. In California the Gas Cap is checked as part of our Smog program. Your post is not clear, was it the cap?
Old 08-24-08, 02:22 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hcfarm
the lexus tester can pressurize the system or set up vacuum, check electrical current to see if the amount is right to open valves..check vapor pressure etc...
It might be worth checking whether or not a nearby Toyota dealer has the same kind of tester. You would think that Toyotas would have the same type of emissions control system.
Old 08-24-08, 07:41 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks bob2200
yes, I will make a few calls tomorrow and visit my nearest toyota dealer and see if they can help out. I bought my trans pan gasket the other day and it was toyota, so I am like you, I bet the emission system is similiar..I guess it would be cheaper to pay the hook up cost than trying to hit and miss with home diagnoses..I will see what I come up with. Lexmex, says the Highlander is a fit for our RX in some instances, so there may be other similiarities also..

I really was wanted to learn how to fix these problems and any others that I can myself, so that I could help out others later with what I learned, I will try to get as much info as I can and report later if and when I do get it looked at..

jon

Originally Posted by bob2200
It might be worth checking whether or not a nearby Toyota dealer has the same kind of tester. You would think that Toyotas would have the same type of emissions control system.
Old 08-25-08, 06:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

First generation V6 Highlander is a clone in most cases. If I wind up with one of these codes I'd probably leave it alone for a bit until I had a chance to more thoroughly examine it, being that I don't live in an emissions control state However, I do agree with the above about checking the gas cap out.

Speaking of testers. When I was in Mexico, Toyota had such testers and stuck it into my RX300 (in the last year that I was there) and they had just started selling the Highlander. One such tester had the first generation Highlander in the scanner and they were able to read my system with this. They did this once before with a Camry configuration a few years back, but it wasn't working nearly as well, just basic information.