RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Royal Purple ATF...Comparable to Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 08:57 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple ATF...Comparable to Amsoil?

hey folks, another question.. I have a royal purple dealer locally and would like to know if anybody has ever used this oil in their transmissions..

and is this oil fully 100% synthetic?

thanks
jon
Old 08-20-08, 11:09 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

According to their website, their Max ATF product is compatible with Toyota Type T transmission fluids. It is a full synthetic and having toured their facility and labs a couple of years ago, I can vouch for the extreme care the folks at Royal Purple take with their products. They were the first to deliver their motor oils in 55-gal plastic drums, because the standard-issue steel drums with a plastic coating contaminated their product enough to fail their high testing standards. They insisted on a new, cleaner packaging technology, and they got it.

Photo courtesy Royal Purple
Old 08-21-08, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

100% agree, they make excellent products. We have had a few people on the forum who have used this ATF in their RX300s without issue.
Old 08-21-08, 04:33 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thank you both for your input..
I just wanted to make sure they were synthetic and reliable...I may give it a try, since it is right in my home town.

would it be also safe to say that their motor oil would be an alternative too?
jon
Old 08-22-08, 06:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have used it with very good results.(engine oil)

Last edited by lexus114; 09-19-08 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-22-08, 08:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hcfarm
thank you both for your input..
I just wanted to make sure they were synthetic and reliable...I may give it a try, since it is right in my home town.

would it be also safe to say that their motor oil would be an alternative too?
jon
Jon,

Their motor oil is good to try as well. I personally like the German Castrol and if not available a Pennzoil Platinum, but we have also had a few people in this forum try Royal Purple for oil and also no problems to report.

Ron
Old 08-22-08, 05:42 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks, I am looking at all options.
the castrol seems highly recommended for motor oil ,will probably go with that first, as it is less cost than local royal purple.

I see that the Amsoil is really the choice for ATF throughout the forum..I really like what I have read but don't like the cost per quart and the shipping cost, I don't have a dealer locally.

but I will probably do a pan drop tomorrow on trans and look at screen and clean out the bottom, go back with T-IV this time and then order the amsoil online for the next time..

thanks for your comments..
jon
Old 08-23-08, 03:55 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

jon,I may be an isolated incident here,but my RX trans.did not like the Amsoil at all. It was beside itself more than usual. Mine seems to like the castrol Import vehicle trans.fliud the most.That is a partial synthetic.I believe the Toyota T-IV fluid is partial synthetic as well. I didnt get a chance to try the Royal Purple yet,maybe Ill try that some time.
Old 08-23-08, 04:56 PM
LexFather

I heard its good stuff but IMO Amsoil gives me added piece of mind.
Old 08-23-08, 07:37 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

thanks lexus114
what exactly were you experiencing that you didn't like?
what do you primarily use now? and how long have you used it?

would you tell me about the castrol import that you used?
when do you change out fluid?

I did my trans change per tunedrx300 info. today..that was very good instructions, went without a problem. I used the TIV this time.

thanks for your reply
jon

Originally Posted by lexus114
jon,I may be an isolated incident here,but my RX trans.did not like the Amsoil at all. It was beside itself more than usual. Mine seems to like the castrol Import vehicle trans.fliud the most.That is a partial synthetic.I believe the Toyota T-IV fluid is partial synthetic as well. I didnt get a chance to try the Royal Purple yet,maybe Ill try that some time.
Old 08-23-08, 07:43 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

hey 1sickgoat, I have 22 goats here on the farm.. thanks for the comments..

I would like to ask you how long you have been using Amsoil? I guess to be more specific, how many oil changes and miles driven when using Amsoil?..

thanks
jon

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
I heard its good stuff but IMO Amsoil gives me added piece of mind.
Old 08-23-08, 08:02 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

hey Lil4X
could I ask you what type of trans oil you use?

thanks for the royal purple info...cleared it up for me! they seem to have tight standards..
jon
Originally Posted by Lil4X
According to their website, their Max ATF product is compatible with Toyota Type T transmission fluids. It is a full synthetic and having toured their facility and labs a couple of years ago, I can vouch for the extreme care the folks at Royal Purple take with their products. They were the first to deliver their motor oils in 55-gal plastic drums, because the standard-issue steel drums with a plastic coating contaminated their product enough to fail their high testing standards. They insisted on a new, cleaner packaging technology, and they got it.

Photo courtesy Royal Purple
Old 08-24-08, 04:33 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

thanks lexus114
what exactly were you experiencing that you didn't like?
what do you primarily use now? and how long have you used it?

would you tell me about the castrol import that you used?
when do you change out fluid?

I did my trans change per tunedrx300 info. today..that was very good instructions, went without a problem. I used the TIV this time.

thanks for your reply
jon
Well jon,with the Amsoil it started doing the notorious shift hunting again.My 1st to second gear change was worse than normal,so I went back to the Castrol Import multi-vehicle fluid,and so far it is okay again.I think Amsoil is overated,I know I`ll hear it for that,but that`s my opinion.I personally would use the RP over Amsoil.
Ryan
Old 08-24-08, 08:03 PM
hcfarm
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus114
Well jon,with the Amsoil it started doing the notorious shift hunting again.My 1st to second gear change was worse than normal,so I went back to the Castrol Import multi-vehicle fluid,and so far it is okay again.I think Amsoil is overated,I know I`ll hear it for that,but that`s my opinion.I personally would use the RP over Amsoil.
Ryan
thanks ryan for your comments, well you have your right to your opinions, I appreciate you telling of your symptoms,

I dropped the trans pan and went back yesterday with the T-IV and it really smoothed out my trans for me, I guess I am wondering how the long term of synthetics affect the RX transmission. Is the T-IV a blend?

well anyway my brother in law swears by the royal purple for all his rides, he has severe duty truck in his home building business and uses it also for his wife's ride.

I guess I am just reluctant to try new products that I am new too..

so thanks to everyone for your comments,they are appreciate..

jon
Old 08-25-08, 06:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

thanks ryan for your comments, well you have your right to your opinions, I appreciate you telling of your symptoms,

I dropped the trans pan and went back yesterday with the T-IV and it really smoothed out my trans for me, I guess I am wondering how the long term of synthetics affect the RX transmission. Is the T-IV a blend?

well anyway my brother in law swears by the royal purple for all his rides, he has severe duty truck in his home building business and uses it also for his wife's ride.

I guess I am just reluctant to try new products that I am new too..

so thanks to everyone for your comments,they are appreciate..

jon
I am 90% sure the T-IV is a synthetic blend,also re; my trans.it had issues like I explained on the Toyota fluid too.I dont want to be labeled an Amsoil hater,I do like their motor oil,I just thought I would mention the only fluid the car shifts well on rite now is the Castrol fluid.Why? probably because my U-140 just has issues I guess.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple ATF...Comparable to Amsoil?