RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Some intake modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 12:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 2 month update

It's been about 2 months since I did these projects and I wanted to provide you all with an update. Since that time, I have now moved from the Tampa Bay area to Miami.

I apologize for not providing updated pictures, but my camera is in use by someone else at the moment.

First thing, on my upper air intake, I have noticed an IMMENSE surge of power with the intake demonstrated in the first half of this thread. This is no doubt due to my being nearly entirely at sea level with this modification. As such, I have gotten more P0171 errors than I got in Mexico. Almost every other day, I get one of these codes. As a result, I have removed the black plastic piece here to separate the direct flow from the lower air bullhorn intake to the upper air intake. Now, the air will shoot in to this area, but only indirectly.

As a result, fewer P0171 errors, just a few a week, instead of say 2 every other day. I didn't get really much of a jerk at all with the other setup, but any type of jerk is remotely gone with this system (i.e., too much air going in when the throttle butterflies are closed, as slowing down and letting off the accelerator).
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-img_1310.jpg  
Old 09-30-08, 12:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is similar to what it looks like now, only shooting air into the area. Power is still noticeable, because the intake still extends to just in front of this area (i.e., below the fusebox) and takes its fair share of cool air.
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-2215309_53_full.jpg  
Old 09-30-08, 12:17 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now, there's one issue to report. The crankcase vent filter shown here I check on about every 2 weeks (when I check on things like oil, fluids, etc.) and this time around it wasn't a bit white, but yellowish (just like oil). I decided to remove it and clean it and the other filter (blue one that goes on the PVC filter on the rear bank). Before doing so, I blew into both and air did come out on both of them. The blue one wasn't dirty at all. I took some liquid dishwashing detergent and cleaned both out and a yellowish muck came out of this particular white filter. I put the filters back on and haven't noticed much of a difference. However, it was simply amazing to me the oil that shot into this thing (it would normally go into the air intake tract toward the engine as part of the crankcase ventilation system for burning in the combustion cycle). That little rubber bumper just up and to the right of the squared off area is where the hose would have gone into.

I checked my oil, German Castrol 0W30 for consistency and level and it still, despite about 3,000+ miles of use or so by my count, still is fine, so I don't see any consumption or other issues affecting it, but will monitor this.

UPDATE: I have since removed the breather filters due to concerns about high humidity down here.
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-img_1314.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 12-16-08 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 02:10 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I later capped off the entry point on the intake manifold with a rubber cap. What I actually did first is wrap the entry point with some duct tape and then put the rubber cap over it so that it held solid.
What is the size of this rubber caps?
Old 05-04-13, 03:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gazi001
What is the size of this rubber caps?
Let me measure them this morning, as I have to do some work on both the RX300 and our 4Runner.

One thing I did do is put some duct tape over the hole and them put the rubber piece over it, to make sure the seal was tight.
Old 05-04-13, 09:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

You may have to do a bit of a judgment call on the caps as I had to pull out the tape measure.

This is the bigger cap on the driver's side on the air intake.
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-img_1124.jpg   Some intake modifications-img_1125.jpg  
Old 05-04-13, 09:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The smaller cap on the passenger side that goes near the PCV Valve and attaches to the intake manifold.

***Definitely make sure you put some duct tape on the hole first and then put the these rubber pieces over them.***
Attached Thumbnails Some intake modifications-img_1126.jpg   Some intake modifications-img_1127.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 05-04-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-04-13, 12:04 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Ron. What is the new plan and designs for cold air intake upgrades? Let me know.
Old 05-05-13, 12:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thanks Ron. What is the new plan and designs for cold air intake upgrades? Let me know.
I'm going to keep those rubber caps on where they are. The thing I have been tooling with is running two air intake pipes in the engine compartment. Where you see that hole coming out of the silver painted intake piece (the one that comes before the MAF), a piece would run from there at the hole...by the battery...and then hookup to where that piece turns downward (90 degree angle) to go where the bullhorn intake would be.

One issue I had at sea level is the enormous density of air compared to Mexico City, so I probably would run a single bullhorn intake pipe down low (as opposed to two before to help get more dense air at altitude) and then distribute it with the two pipes to not shove so much air into the engine at once. I'm not going to touch the exhaust for the time being as it has been fine for the last 5 years since I got back to the U.S.

Problem I have been having is that I've been way too busy with work and trying to source the right pieces to get this done. Plus, I've been focusing on some aesthetic issues with my RX300 and also the 4Runner (maintenance on the latter) to get the modifications done.
Old 05-05-13, 03:49 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to keep those rubber caps on where they are. The thing I have been tooling with is running two air intake pipes in the engine compartment. Where you see that hole coming out of the silver painted intake piece (the one that comes before the MAF), a piece would run from there at the hole...by the battery...and then hookup to where that piece turns downward (90 degree angle) to go where the bullhorn intake would be.

One issue I had at sea level is the enormous density of air compared to Mexico City, so I probably would run a single bullhorn intake pipe down low (as opposed to two before to help get more dense air at altitude) and then distribute it with the two pipes to not shove so much air into the engine at once. I'm not going to touch the exhaust for the time being as it has been fine for the last 5 years since I got back to the U.S.

Problem I have been having is that I've been way too busy with work and trying to source the right pieces to get this done. Plus, I've been focusing on some aesthetic issues with my RX300 and also the 4Runner (maintenance on the latter) to get the modifications done.
I upgraded intake followed by TunedRX300 directions. Now I am thinking add secret weapon
and replace the stock air box which I am using with k&n filter. For the rubber caps I went to Autozone and Pepboys but they don't have 1.25" diameter. Where is the best place to get those? Thanks Ron.

Last edited by gazi001; 05-05-13 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 05:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I upgraded intake followed by TunedRX300 directions. Now I am thinking add secret weapon
and replace the stock air box which I am using with k&n filter. For the rubber caps I went to Autozone and Pepboys but they don't have 1.25" diameter. Where is the best place to get those? Thanks Ron.
I believe when I got those (when I was living in Bradenton), I got them at Ace Hardware. It definitely was a hardware store.
Old 05-06-13, 05:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Might I ask, which issues?

I remember you also had a worn steering wheel such as mine, have you done anything in regards to that? Maybe a steering wheel cover, or repairing the leather somehow.
Old 05-06-13, 05:28 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hypervish
Might I ask, which issues?

I remember you also had a worn steering wheel such as mine, have you done anything in regards to that? Maybe a steering wheel cover, or repairing the leather somehow.
The worn steering wheel I left as is for the time being. I've got some issues with the metal trim around the windows on the sides (plan on using high temp black paint). Also have to do some minor touch up issues on paint and repaint exhaust piping underneath). The 4Runner has some oxidation on the roof, but I plan to take it by a painting friend of mine before I touch it (want his opinion before I rub anything on it).

The real problem for me on the intake has been sourcing the piping right (it can get expensive) and with tradition, I try to source the items at reasonable prices so that others can follow if they want to do similarly. There are a lot of pieces out there like accordion tubing that I don't want to use for the intake, and would like to keep it like regular metal tubing. In addition, one of the pieces has to have three holes to allow 3" piping to go through at some odd angles. Only item I have seen is a bedpost piece for about $50 and I can't even see it up close (trying to stay away from plastic/pvc except maybe where the bullhorn would go).
Old 05-06-13, 08:54 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

I believe when I got those (when I was living in Bradenton), I got them at Ace Hardware. It definitely was a hardware store.
Thanks Ron. I checked Home Depot they don't have and i will check other stores.
Old 05-12-13, 02:55 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

The worn steering wheel I left as is for the time being. I've got some issues with the metal trim around the windows on the sides (plan on using high temp black paint). Also have to do some minor touch up issues on paint and repaint exhaust piping underneath). The 4Runner has some oxidation on the roof, but I plan to take it by a painting friend of mine before I touch it (want his opinion before I rub anything on it).

The real problem for me on the intake has been sourcing the piping right (it can get expensive) and with tradition, I try to source the items at reasonable prices so that others can follow if they want to do similarly. There are a lot of pieces out there like accordion tubing that I don't want to use for the intake, and would like to keep it like regular metal tubing. In addition, one of the pieces has to have three holes to allow 3" piping to go through at some odd angles. Only item I have seen is a bedpost piece for about $50 and I can't even see it up close (trying to stay away from plastic/pvc except maybe where the bullhorn would go).
Ron, Why you don't like to use plastic/pvc tubing? Any problems. What kind of pipes are you thinking?

Last edited by gazi001; 05-12-13 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Some intake modifications