RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tint for the glass in front of front doors

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 05:51 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tint for the glass in front of front doors

I have an '02 RX300 and I stopped by a tint shop to see about changing to a darker tint and was told they could not tint the small triangular glass in front of the front doors due to State of Texas laws for auto window tinting. Is anyone else aware of this? Also - has anyone see or heard someone being ticketed/warned or not passing yearly inspection for having the small window tinted?
Old 06-03-08, 08:52 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

In California it is also against the law. My son says it is a great way to stop gang bangers, gives them a excuse for stop and search...
Old 06-04-08, 02:13 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just the triangle?

Originally Posted by BBLexus
I have an '02 RX300 and I stopped by a tint shop to see about changing to a darker tint and was told they could not tint the small triangular glass in front of the front doors:
Wait, they can't tint the front windows, or just those little triangle part? Here in NJ, you can not tint the windshield (except top 1/3 or 1/5 for sun shade strip) or front two side windows. I don't know about Texas, but maybe your shop is taking the "front" side windows to be literally the furthest front two... one thing in NJ, no regard for % of tint, so we can make it 100% black and okay, but no "mirror" finish.
Old 06-05-08, 07:23 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In Texas there is no reason not to tint that small glass just forward of your mirrors. Like the rest of your side glass, you are limited to 25% overall transmission tint. See the FAQ sticky at the head of this forum for a near-exact match in that greenish metallic film.

For some reason not all tint shops really understand the law. Check your local tint laws before accepting their work. Online sources may be correct, but it pays to cross check this information before spending the money. http://www.tintdude.com/ptow.html

We had my wife's van tinted as dark as possible within the law, and it's pretty dark, especially at night. The large tint shop that did the work cut the "eyebrow" on her windshield about 2-1/2" too low and she had to have it replaced before her next inspection. (the shop did it for free, it was their mistake) She's still not too happy with it, she'd paint all the windows black if she could. Next time, I'm going to get her a contractor's van with NO windows and settle the issue permanently.
Old 06-05-08, 02:43 PM
BBLexus
Driver

yes, I am referring to the small triangle window closest to the windshield and in front of the doors. Sounds crazy and I don't know why this is an issue but I noticed these two small triangles are not tinted and I have seen the same lack of tint on other vehicles here in Texas. The tint shop told me it can't be tinted.

I wonder if a little green in the palm for the tint guy might help???
Old 06-05-08, 03:30 PM
BBLexus
Driver

I found information in the link you sent - this addresses it:

This section does not apply to: (1) a windshield that has a sunscreening device that: (A) in combination with the windshield has a light transmission of 25 [33] percent or more; (B) in combination with the windshield has a luminous reflectance of 25 [35] percent or less; (C) is not red, blue, or amber; and (D) does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or more than five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield; (2) a [front side] wing vent or a window other than a windshield if the vent or window
Old 06-06-08, 06:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Dont mess with Texas
Old 06-07-08, 11:26 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some tint installers confuse RX300's quarter-panel triangle window with the old sail window popular with '70s cars. Tinting the sail window would sometimes block the side mirror, thus it was a no-no back then. Simply go to another shop that understands Texas law.

At the risk of dating myself, my '79 Ford Fairmont had sail windows.
Old 06-08-08, 11:52 AM
BBLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Some tint installers confuse RX300's quarter-panel triangle window with the old sail window popular with '70s cars. Tinting the sail window would sometimes block the side mirror, thus it was a no-no back then. Simply go to another shop that understands Texas law.

At the risk of dating myself, my '79 Ford Fairmont had sail windows.
I think you are right - and I remember those style windows. I'll check another tint shop.