RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY IACV clean picture write-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 02:00 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recleaned mine. I used seafoam this time and approached the cleaning a little different. I disconnected the hose to the IACV from the motor. I then slowly filled the port to the IACV inside the TB until the hose started to overfill . I held the hose upright. Then I let gravity and suction do the rest. When I raised the hose the level of the seafoam whould raise. I then would plug the hose with my thumb and let it sit for a minute or so. Then lowered the hose with level making its way thru the IACV. Plugged hole for same time frame. I did this for a total of 10 times on both high and low side. The way I figure, with the chemical raising and lowering itself would act as a scrubbing method.

Check engine light is off. Idle is much better. Vibration is still noticable at a stop but nowhere near as bad as before.

Was it a waste of time? Who knows. Positive results in the end .
Old 12-31-11, 06:00 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

IACV malfunction does not necessarily trigger a CEL. Do you know what code(s) you were getting?

Salim
Old 12-31-11, 06:58 PM
IndyRX300
Driver

Yeah one was for O2 sensor and other MAF. Light went off after cleaning the iacv. ????
Old 01-08-12, 07:37 AM
austex300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post thx to tcheung & lexmex

ok, i know this is an older original posting, but i had to create an account & login to thank tcheung & lexmex in case they still receive replies: you guys have saved the day twice for me (& of course a wad of cash) w/ your postings, so i wanted to thank you for this IACV how-to w/ pics... it was my bible on my ipod touch propped up under the hood, extremely helpful, & i solved the issue

i also appreciate the tips & warnings on things like the over-torqued screws - this probably prevented me from creating a bigger problem, so big thx for that too

this is a great forum & i hope i can contribute (vs follow direx) one day re: how to solve issues on my 2000 RX300

i also got a huge kick out of lexmex's "speed-demon RX300", considering the native contradiction in terms of this phrase!

Last edited by austex300; 01-08-12 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-09-12, 04:17 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpPc...2&feature=plcpok i found this video online ..m goona give it a cleaning this weekend.
Old 01-11-12, 11:41 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

so i should spray all over in the intake and the valve and that thing (with red arrow on 1st page) located inside that right plate too.. ? where is the lever that opens and closes the valve

Last edited by imherenow; 01-11-12 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-12-12, 03:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by imherenow
so i should spray all over in the intake and the valve and that thing (with red arrow on 1st page) located inside that right plate too.. ? where is the lever that opens and closes the valve
You can spray a little bit on a paper towel and wipe the inside of the throttle body. There is a little brass/copper colored **** seen in this photo,

Name:  P1010007.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  38.2 KB

You just need to spray into that little hole and turn the **** back and forth (responded to your PM).
Old 02-05-12, 08:29 PM
bugz83s10
Driver School Candidate

I wanted to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge in this thread. This turned into a long job due to one the screws, but I got them off with PB Blaster and vice grips. I replaced them with regular bolts with a little bit of anti seize, since I'll probably have to do this again in the future.

My RX300 has been idling rough since last week and I figured it was bad gas. After reading this thread I figured I'd take a look at the IACV since I've had a few problems on my other cars with this part. The "****" would barely turn, but now it seems to have no resistance. I used carb cleaner, and let it drain out the bottom.

Now my car idles like it should. The K&N filter probably didn't help matters any and from now on I'll be more careful when it comes to oiling it. Looks like I had a mouse living in my airbox at some point in time.
Old 02-06-12, 03:41 PM
ciao917
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information. I truly appreciate it. I will give it a go this weekend. Again thanks.
ciao917

Last edited by ciao917; 02-06-12 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 11:28 AM
ciao917
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up U R Right on the money

Your description of the problem was right on the money. The IACV was not turning freely. I sprayed it after following your directions on how to get to the IACV. After a couple of sprays with Air-Intake cleaner it turned freely. Sprayed and wiped clean a few more times. Reassembled and after a few tries the engine turned over. I had my wife check the exhaust tailpipe and the carbon was coming out and then cleared up. I am sure this was the problem and thanks to your instructions I sure the problem is solved and saved quite a few bucks also.
Appreciate the help and again I thank you.
ciao917
Old 04-07-12, 09:54 AM
2bears
Driver School Candidate

I just wanted to thank each that told me what to do. I'm 70 years old and still trying to maintain my cars. I am learning how to use this forum so if I make a mistake bear with me. The information fixed my wife's rx300 it purrs like a kitten now. Keep up the good info. Fred
Old 05-15-12, 05:27 AM
Joey97
Rookie

Fixed my son's 1997 ES300 with this procedure, THANKS !
Old 06-24-12, 01:12 PM
2bears
Driver School Candidate

This is the best site on the internet. I cleaned mine and didn't realize how dirty the IACV could get. Idles like or better than a new car. Thanks to Lexmex for ALL his information. Now I got to check all the hoses to the canister and see if I can stop the engine light from coming on. Ethanol gas stinks. I have found a station that sells ethanol free fuel and I have switched to it, costs more but the car runs better on it. Thanks again to all you Lexus guys. Fred
Old 08-28-12, 11:52 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this procedure, and I seem to idle fine now. However, although my engine turns over and starts on the second try, it is difficult to start.

Would this most likely be the spark plugs?

Also, when I removed the IACV the brass washer was a bit misformed. Any idea where I could find a replacement
Old 08-29-12, 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by saudiboy
I did this procedure, and I seem to idle fine now. However, although my engine turns over and starts on the second try, it is difficult to start.

Would this most likely be the spark plugs?

Also, when I removed the IACV the brass washer was a bit misformed. Any idea where I could find a replacement
Those washers you should be able to find in a hardware store and cheaper than the dealer.

I usually reset the vehicle by pulling the battery or the EFI fuse for a second and then restart to see if the vehicle will turn over correctly.

Quick Reply: DIY IACV clean picture write-up