RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-08, 05:33 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....

i was satisfied with the magnaflow exhaust saving drastically on fuel costs... i was researching and found weapon r has 2 products on the market one is a dragon intake the other is sw intake system, they said just by slapping one of these on can drastically improve gas mileage, and the goody bonus of more torque and hp, now i was wondering ifi slap one of these on will my muffler also change sound or get louder because all the good free flow air coming? whats difference from dragon intake vs. sw intake any folks got pics of there aftermarket intake, i figure why not save more fuel by adding another thing? but want advise from folks who own an after market one, supposably weapn r says the cotton filters don't clean as good as foam filters because the pores are more in foam plus less restriction on flow.... i think weapon r was only aftermarket besides a k&n filter dropin? i think i might buy one? i think this would be another good investment in saving gas and it will pay itself back and somemore, fuel cost are fluctuating and i am out looking for products to maintain fuel costs and enjoy my ride more, someone on forum had a product i think it was tunnedrx300 but it was a product you put on your battery and there was a benifit i can't remember but if you remember let me know and pics and where to research on product i might consider? thanks

Last edited by archangels; 05-16-08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 08:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

You're thinking of the Sun Hypervoltage as far as something going on top of the battery. I love that device, but would favor getting an Optima or something like a lightweight Braille battery before I would go for the Hypervoltage.

I don't like the Dragon intake from weapon-r (I had it). The secret weapon intake is a better option, but I can't remember offhand if it ever got CARB approval (since you are in California).
Old 05-16-08, 08:57 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You're thinking of the Sun Hypervoltage as far as something going on top of the battery. I love that device, but would favor getting an Optima or something like a lightweight Braille battery before I would go for the Hypervoltage.

I don't like the Dragon intake from weapon-r (I had it). The secret weapon intake is a better option, but I can't remember offhand if it ever got CARB approval (since you are in California).
i spoke to the company some lady said if i buy it when it becomes carb exmpt they will send me a decal carb all i do is show proof of purchase, i ordered the sw version lady said just put oem back when its time if carb did not approve yet,
what should i expct better gas mileage louder muffs and sounds and different tones, yeah the sun hyper voltage product did you notice anything with it? thanks lexmex oh also did the sw intake have two tubes like they advertised have you used the ram kit it comes with for cold air kinda excited can't wait.... also what does optima battery do vs hyper volts thanks
Old 05-17-08, 06:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

There's not much as far as aftermarket intakes for the RX300. There is at least one for the Solara, but very expensive. I still think for what is out there for the $$$, the SW intake is the best of the lot. Only issue I have with it is that it should be covered by a heat shield (take a look at page 6 of my homepage below on what I have done) and really should have an extension for ram air from the lower part of the vehicle (of course as you noticed weapon-r sells such a kit, but I am not a huge fan because it uses some baffles, but still I am glad they considered the idea). You might be able to make your own with PVC, but again, should any people with red/blue lights pop your hood, you might have a dickens of a time...at least in California.

Let's just say this on the Optima versus hypervoltage, Optima is cheaper than getting the full fledged hypervoltage. Both are great, but getting the 34/78 Red Top is the real trick (I have experimented with my cousin's Golf on this).

What is noticeable about the hypervoltage is that the low end torque when you take off from a dead stop is a bit more pronounced not as much lag.

For the Optima as far as performance, I noticed a bit better pickup on the high end (less power loss under acceleration and especially if you are using things like AC, radio and even headlights). I have done it all on the track and seen all the little quirks and came to the conclusion the high end battery is what you want first. These batteries here, http://www.brailleauto.com are also very nice, but more expensive but extremely lightweight. My buddy Michael who has a Z06 Vette went down to Sarasota and picked one of these up and immediately noticed the difference (his battery goes in the rear of the vehicle).

Thus for me, the high end battery would go first and then the hypervoltage followed by the hyperground. Everything eeks out a gain, but keep in mind this coming from the brain of someone who does like to eek out every last gain and will go to great lengths to do it.
Old 05-17-08, 09:40 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

There's not much as far as aftermarket intakes for the RX300. There is at least one for the Solara, but very expensive. I still think for what is out there for the $$$, the SW intake is the best of the lot. Only issue I have with it is that it should be covered by a heat shield (take a look at page 6 of my homepage below on what I have done) and really should have an extension for ram air from the lower part of the vehicle (of course as you noticed weapon-r sells such a kit, but I am not a huge fan because it uses some baffles, but still I am glad they considered the idea). You might be able to make your own with PVC, but again, should any people with red/blue lights pop your hood, you might have a dickens of a time...at least in California.

Let's just say this on the Optima versus hypervoltage, Optima is cheaper than getting the full fledged hypervoltage. Both are great, but getting the 34/78 Red Top is the real trick (I have experimented with my cousin's Golf on this).

What is noticeable about the hypervoltage is that the low end torque when you take off from a dead stop is a bit more pronounced not as much lag.

For the Optima as far as performance, I noticed a bit better pickup on the high end (less power loss under acceleration and especially if you are using things like AC, radio and even headlights). I have done it all on the track and seen all the little quirks and came to the conclusion the high end battery is what you want first. These batteries here, http://www.brailleauto.com are also very nice, but more expensive but extremely lightweight. My buddy Michael who has a Z06 Vette went down to Sarasota and picked one of these up and immediately noticed the difference (his battery goes in the rear of the vehicle).

Thus for me, the high end battery would go first and then the hypervoltage followed by the hyperground. Everything eeks out a gain, but keep in mind this coming from the brain of someone who does like to eek out every last gain and will go to great lengths to do it.
ok if i buy dragon intake intead will i notice an improvement instead vs oem? might go with dragon intake? also are you talking about baffles in flex tube for ram the ridges is the part you don't like? do you know if the ram air tube is long enough to bring all the way down to the front bumper? sw recently now include tese ramkits with there sw, they said before they didn't? thanks like your custom air ram very nice, you notice better response with it, i know colder air makes a difference, what happens if you had a sw intake with dragon filter with heatshield that connected a ram air tube, would that be better? i will listen to your advise before i choose thanks that braille battery seems interesting what he notice on improvement i might consider this as i have bought my rx used and don't know but only it was replaced in 2005 as i have a reciept, i think 2005 i forgot gotta see my reciept lol on the braille product what is the right size for our rx? for 2ooplus i think this is great to have 6 year warranty... i can't afford it now but i might step by step procedure you listed i guess i might hold on the sun hyper until i do correct steps

Last edited by archangels; 05-17-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-17-08, 01:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

As far as the braille products, any should fit, as my friend had the largest of the batteries and it could easily fit in our RX, but might need some mounts to make them work. I had have to check with them the next time I go by their place, they are not too far from the Lexus dealer in Sarasota. I was considering either the 11 or 15 pound version for my RX300 in the near future.

Hold off on hypervoltage.

Forget the dragon intake and its filter. Only use I found of the dragon intake is as a placeholder for my current MAF and modifications, that much I will give it and as far as the filter my cousin uses it on his Golf for car shows where it gets him some points, because weapon-r doesn't have a distributor south of the border. The secret weapon intake is the better one to get.

No baffles, only good for sound reduction and not much else. However, a lot of the material you could make a ram air intake out of is available at an AutoZone or other auto parts store.

You ideally need a heat shield, because the hot air of the engine will negate short ram air gains.

I have been messing around with my current silver y-pipe intake in some different formations to try to get the ideal acceleration (I am close) for sea level, but it takes some experimentation.
Old 05-17-08, 07:53 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

As far as the braille products, any should fit, as my friend had the largest of the batteries and it could easily fit in our RX, but might need some mounts to make them work. I had have to check with them the next time I go by their place, they are not too far from the Lexus dealer in Sarasota. I was considering either the 11 or 15 pound version for my RX300 in the near future.

Hold off on hypervoltage.

Forget the dragon intake and its filter. Only use I found of the dragon intake is as a placeholder for my current MAF and modifications, that much I will give it and as far as the filter my cousin uses it on his Golf for car shows where it gets him some points, because weapon-r doesn't have a distributor south of the border. The secret weapon intake is the better one to get.

No baffles, only good for sound reduction and not much else. However, a lot of the material you could make a ram air intake out of is available at an AutoZone or other auto parts store.

You ideally need a heat shield, because the hot air of the engine will negate short ram air gains.

I have been messing around with my current silver y-pipe intake in some different formations to try to get the ideal acceleration (I am close) for sea level, but it takes some experimentation.
previous owner i guess lived in florida and california? i have a service reciept said she did service at sarasota lexus... you now if air ram will fit all the way down to front? thanks
Old 05-18-08, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Lexus dealer in Sarasota seemed like a good group there, knew their stuff when I popped off some questions.

I am not sure if ram air will fit down all the way to the front. Saw no need to buy it for my dragon intake at the time, since PVC was readily available back in Mexico (early 2005).

Now, in addition, you will have to remove and air resonator that goes behind the bumper (look in the air hole on the driver's side) and you will see what I mean and also a plastic piece that goes under the fusebox. You could get some string and measure it out and check with weapon-r if it would be long enough.
Old 05-18-08, 12:29 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Lexus dealer in Sarasota seemed like a good group there, knew their stuff when I popped off some questions.

I am not sure if ram air will fit down all the way to the front. Saw no need to buy it for my dragon intake at the time, since PVC was readily available back in Mexico (early 2005).

Now, in addition, you will have to remove and air resonator that goes behind the bumper (look in the air hole on the driver's side) and you will see what I mean and also a plastic piece that goes under the fusebox. You could get some string and measure it out and check with weapon-r if it would be long enough.
kool thanks lex... how many bolts hold the resonator behind bumper any advise before i try... thanks on every bolt to remove thanks
Old 05-18-08, 08:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Just two. You have to take off the three screws holding the plastic (piece just in front of the left front wheel), in order to get at the resonator.
Old 05-18-08, 11:41 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Just two. You have to take off the three screws holding the plastic (piece just in front of the left front wheel), in order to get at the resonator.
what does that resonator do? quiet the intake? also for wr do the filter have to be oiled? or wash and dry then slap on? is it true that these foam wr filters filter dirt better and breath better because more pores than cotton filters?

Last edited by Lexmex; 05-19-08 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-19-08, 06:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

That's exactly what does the resonator does, keep it quiet. The only thing you have to do with the WR filter is wash it. I am going to say this on the subject of which is better wr or something like a K&N...it depends. I have had guys who I have known over the years who have dynoed with K&N and WR, and over some vehicles one works just slightly better and for others, it is the other.

My cousin had my old Dragon Intake and hated it for performance so I got him a cone K&N for his Golf VR6. However, a few other guys at my track managed to get their hands on some Weapon-Rs (they should have a distributor in Mexico in case their listening) and liked those over the K&Ns.

Now, you remember I tried a V2 filter from them just before I left Mexico, but that WR filter really didn't do much for me. I even tried it here in Florida and it wasn't bad, but just not the same kind of pep that no filter had. I haven't had the chance to test a cone K&N (don't see any need to blow money on it either), but as I said some guys liked one and some guys liked the other. SW intake is a better design than the V2 or the Dragon intake.
Old 05-19-08, 10:55 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i actually gained 2mpg when i put back my stock air intake box.
Old 05-19-08, 10:56 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zombie
i actually gained 2mpg when i put back my stock air intake box.
what were you using before that?
Old 05-19-08, 04:09 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

That's exactly what does the resonator does, keep it quiet. The only thing you have to do with the WR filter is wash it. I am going to say this on the subject of which is better wr or something like a K&N...it depends. I have had guys who I have known over the years who have dynoed with K&N and WR, and over some vehicles one works just slightly better and for others, it is the other.

My cousin had my old Dragon Intake and hated it for performance so I got him a cone K&N for his Golf VR6. However, a few other guys at my track managed to get their hands on some Weapon-Rs (they should have a distributor in Mexico in case their listening) and liked those over the K&Ns.

Now, you remember I tried a V2 filter from them just before I left Mexico, but that WR filter really didn't do much for me. I even tried it here in Florida and it wasn't bad, but just not the same kind of pep that no filter had. I haven't had the chance to test a cone K&N (don't see any need to blow money on it either), but as I said some guys liked one and some guys liked the other. SW intake is a better design than the V2 or the Dragon intake.
ok lex recieved sw poduct with promotional gift ram air kit an promotional airfilter cleaner.... i was a little disapointed when looking at the companies website it looked like the inner pipie of intake goes from front to back pipping on diagram, the only inner tube was almost 2 1/2 but little smaller i did not realize it would be so short, the company states they do rigorious testing and to determine diameter size tube and bends and etc, is it possible that they tested out when it work best on rx300 and came to a conclusion of a 2 1/2 inch inner intake tube, if you take off for instance the inner tube wouldn't it be a dragon intake already only difference is inner 2 1/2 inch pipe and filter? have you tested both intakes dragons straight through design vs. the 2 tube design of sw, was there a difference? i was thinking will 2 1/2 inch innertube really force 2 airflows all the way to throttlebody, i was thinking it would dissapate do to maff being in middle of the inner tube, then after maf stright through dragon intake style to oem rubber piece seems kinda far by the time it reaches throttlebody to get 2 airflows after maf don't you think it would just flow as 1 airflow what they could have done was add another inner tube after maff to give addittional dual flow what you think lex thanks buddy.... kool thing that i was amazed was flex tube can go 5feet but the question is will it fit the resonator hole or do i have to squash it through to fit...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....