RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 05:49 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Hypervoltage you will feel when you step down on the pedal. Red Top 34/78 ran me about $150. Mine has been running 3.5 years. Yes, moving bolt far left will open it as wide open as possible. Cranking amps are your main consideration first followed by weight on the battery.

One other source of sound can be the vibration of the resonator.
Old 05-29-08, 10:07 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air hole

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Hypervoltage you will feel when you step down on the pedal. Red Top 34/78 ran me about $150. Mine has been running 3.5 years. Yes, moving bolt far left will open it as wide open as possible. Cranking amps are your main consideration first followed by weight on the battery.

One other source of sound can be the vibration of the resonator.
so does optima have better cranking amps and better then braille battery besides braille being lighter? i read some treads about how better of a battery it was do to craking amps... heres pics of ram intake buddy let me know what you think...

Last edited by archangels; 05-30-08 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-29-08, 10:09 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

more pics of intake

Last edited by archangels; 05-30-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-29-08, 10:10 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

last pics of intake tube connecting to filter...

Last edited by archangels; 05-30-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-30-08, 06:06 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I do like how you got the bracket on to the battery mount (I actually did to the mount of the brake fluid handle).

Not sure if it is possible with this material, but with the one on the front bumper, if you could squeeze it into an oval you could manage to get some more airflow by extending (from left to right) more of the length of the bumper hole. I actually use a double tube entry on mine (as oppposed to single) as I found much more air gets rammed in under this system (you don't want this unless you want P0171 errors staring at you, and I always have some pending P0171 error every time I hook up at the end of the week).

Up top in the engine bay, I would try to get something like a pot or some kind of piece of plastic to block off the filter on the sides facing the engine. I could have sworn I have seen someone do this with this exact filter setup, but it escapes me would did it, but it was a custom setup.

The other thing I would do is try to turn, if possible, rotate filter pipe toward the side of the car, so that the back of the filter faces more the front of the vehicle and the piping could be straighter. Still kind of ticks me that Weapon-R started to make these turned in pipes rather than the one I have from my WR intake (and I have made my comments known on this subject to no avail). One guy who got this kit in Mexico actually did some chopping up of the pipe to get it to be straighter for his Maxima. Another way that I see that could be done on this setup is greasing the pipe from the MAF sensor downward and pushing the filter further up the pipe toward the MAF sensor. The idea behind this is so that you don't need to use as much of the baffle piping to the front bumper and with the metal tube pushed further inward to the filter, it will serve as a quasi-shield against the warmer engine air (you need some air this high up or the engine can choke). Also, with the piping so far inward to the filter, the ram air from down low will not have to fly around as much inside the filter, but will travel fewer inches toward the mouth of the entry pipe. Only downside is that you probably would need to get a different bracket for between the battery mount and the filter.

I would get the Braille over the Optima, because you can not only get the Amps necessary but also the weight is much less, Optima weighs in the 30 pound range, like 38 or so. However, price can be a bit higher for the Braille. When my Optima goes on the fritz (or I just feel like it), I will step up to the Braille.
Old 05-30-08, 07:36 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

I do like how you got the bracket on to the battery mount (I actually did to the mount of the brake fluid handle).

Not sure if it is possible with this material, but with the one on the front bumper, if you could squeeze it into an oval you could manage to get some more airflow by extending (from left to right) more of the length of the bumper hole. I actually use a double tube entry on mine (as oppposed to single) as I found much more air gets rammed in under this system (you don't want this unless you want P0171 errors staring at you, and I always have some pending P0171 error every time I hook up at the end of the week).

Up top in the engine bay, I would try to get something like a pot or some kind of piece of plastic to block off the filter on the sides facing the engine. I could have sworn I have seen someone do this with this exact filter setup, but it escapes me would did it, but it was a custom setup.

The other thing I would do is try to turn, if possible, rotate filter pipe toward the side of the car, so that the back of the filter faces more the front of the vehicle and the piping could be straighter. Still kind of ticks me that Weapon-R started to make these turned in pipes rather than the one I have from my WR intake (and I have made my comments known on this subject to no avail). One guy who got this kit in Mexico actually did some chopping up of the pipe to get it to be straighter for his Maxima. Another way that I see that could be done on this setup is greasing the pipe from the MAF sensor downward and pushing the filter further up the pipe toward the MAF sensor. The idea behind this is so that you don't need to use as much of the baffle piping to the front bumper and with the metal tube pushed further inward to the filter, it will serve as a quasi-shield against the warmer engine air (you need some air this high up or the engine can choke). Also, with the piping so far inward to the filter, the ram air from down low will not have to fly around as much inside the filter, but will travel fewer inches toward the mouth of the entry pipe. Only downside is that you probably would need to get a different bracket for between the battery mount and the filter.

I would get the Braille over the Optima, because you can not only get the Amps necessary but also the weight is much less, Optima weighs in the 30 pound range, like 38 or so. However, price can be a bit higher for the Braille. When my Optima goes on the fritz (or I just feel like it), I will step up to the Braille.
thanks lex for advise i will look into your suggesstions as the weather gets better here, my bro in law installed for me i will ask him to redo everything... gave him 50 dollars plus k&n dropin for his sienna, in exchange to do af sensors and this intake... thanks lex...
Old 05-30-08, 08:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Incidentally, I am actually doing intake work this weekend. Right now, I am ramming in way too much. Another issue, and I have my suspicions, is that ever since the stations started doing 10% ethanol a few weeks back here, I have gotten a P0505 pending error related to idle. I discussed this with a mechanic at a shop here where I did my ATF changeout a few weeks back and he has also seen some of these same issues with people coming and talking to other mechanics. I plan to run some sensor cleaner in the IACV hole to see if it clears up.

My only other air issues is a high idle RPM in D of 1000. Part of this is related to my exhaust being as direct as it is (since it is very unique), but if I can make the air intake a bit more indirect, it will be better for daily driving. Will post pictures if I can get this to work, even though it will be quite simple.
Old 05-30-08, 10:13 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Incidentally, I am actually doing intake work this weekend. Right now, I am ramming in way too much. Another issue, and I have my suspicions, is that ever since the stations started doing 10% ethanol a few weeks back here, I have gotten a P0505 pending error related to idle. I discussed this with a mechanic at a shop here where I did my ATF changeout a few weeks back and he has also seen some of these same issues with people coming and talking to other mechanics. I plan to run some sensor cleaner in the IACV hole to see if it clears up.

My only other air issues is a high idle RPM in D of 1000. Part of this is related to my exhaust being as direct as it is (since it is very unique), but if I can make the air intake a bit more indirect, it will be better for daily driving. Will post pictures if I can get this to work, even though it will be quite simple.
thanks lex can't wait to see your intake results, so you said to turn the intake towards fender so i use less of the ram air tubing giving more efficeit air? also the tube in front has this hard round plastic piece that holds the baffle in place, the only way to shape out side to side is to take that piece off and just use the flex tube squished... i will think about that one... as of the tube turning close to fender i agree less flex tube used gives more air faster to intake, it was cloudy today with sprikles of showers not raining very mist sprikles should i be worried and take flex tube away from filter? or mist won't travel far enough to filter thanks
Old 05-31-08, 05:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Need to see the photos again.
Old 05-31-08, 11:42 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Need to see the photos again.
i will post updated pics sunday.... i tried to reposition the filter better was not enough room either ram air had no room or maf connector would not reach long enough... i brought the filter close to the air circular tubing,
also i did what you told me on throttle position for response i have pics ... did i do it correctly? now i barly touch my fot on the pedal and it gets going , thats what bothered me before the lag in the begining when i push the pedal down, i barely touch the pedal and moves forward i was pretty amazed maybe it will climb hills better do to open throttle more what you think... thanks see pics if i did correctly. looks like screw moved to left about5-7mm?
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....-throttle-response.jpg  

Last edited by archangels; 06-01-08 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added pics of throttle position
Old 06-01-08, 02:57 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default heat shield?

Originally Posted by archangels
i will post updated pics sunday.... i tried to reposition the filter better was not enough room either ram air had no room or maf connector would not reach long enough... i brought the filter close to the air circular tubing,
also i did what you told me on throttle position for response i have pics ... did i do it correctly? now i barly touch my fot on the pedal and it gets going , thats what bothered me before the lag in the begining when i push the pedal down, i barely touch the pedal and moves forward i was pretty amazed maybe it will climb hills better do to open throttle more what you think... thanks see pics if i did correctly. looks like screw moved to left about5-7mm?
you think this heat shield is good enough just to block engine heat away from filter? still allows freeflow to suck cold air into intake :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AIR-F...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-01-08, 05:50 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's the kind of heat shield and you got it correct on the cable. What it will help you do is open up more the throttle butterflies a bit quicker.
Old 06-01-08, 07:10 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Yeah, that's the kind of heat shield and you got it correct on the cable. What it will help you do is open up more the throttle butterflies a bit quicker.
lex so you think this is the one i should buy as a heat shield to deflect engine heat and sucks good amount of cooler air.. might buy it you think its better then the dragon airfilter heat shield there plastic version? thanks buddy thanks lex i bought one today i will post pics once installed thanks buddy

Last edited by archangels; 06-01-08 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 06:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I know those cold air shields, but I have a problem with them. If the only air you are going to take is from the front bumper, then that is too great a length from the air entry to the engine and there can be some idle issues. This issue becomes much more pronounced as you got up in elevation. Having the metal shield let's the engine have a closer source (ableit a bit warmer) source of air to alleviate this issue. This is why all my intake designs have both an air source in the engine bay and on the bumper (basically a short ram (engine bay) and cai (bumper hole). But you won't have this if you apply the cold air shield. A lot of those cold air shield designs are for vehicles that take air from the firewall just on the side of the car (kind of like where the air resonator used to be). I used to see such intake designs a lot on Neons back in Mexico.
Old 06-02-08, 11:29 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

I know those cold air shields, but I have a problem with them. If the only air you are going to take is from the front bumper, then that is too great a length from the air entry to the engine and there can be some idle issues. This issue becomes much more pronounced as you got up in elevation. Having the metal shield let's the engine have a closer source (ableit a bit warmer) source of air to alleviate this issue. This is why all my intake designs have both an air source in the engine bay and on the bumper (basically a short ram (engine bay) and cai (bumper hole). But you won't have this if you apply the cold air shield. A lot of those cold air shield designs are for vehicles that take air from the firewall just on the side of the car (kind of like where the air resonator used to be). I used to see such intake designs a lot on Neons back in Mexico.
so was this a bad thing to buy for rx? so you mean as long as there was an air source feeding the filter regardless of engine heat it was better because of air sources feeding the filter? thanks lex i gotta figure this one out what you suggest with the heat shield? isn' wr heat shield similar thanks

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....