RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 01:15 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by archangels
what were you using before that?
weaponR intake pipe, autozone spectre cone filter, homemade heat shield (made a top part, but not in pictures), homemade blow horn connected to driver-side bumper vent and flex pipe leading back to air filter. i still have the blow horn, but its just connected to the stock air intake y pipe.

Old 05-20-08, 05:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah, suck that air right up.
Old 05-20-08, 05:55 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow,thats some engineering you did their!!.... Ahahah,coool,Ehahahah Beavis! (Yeah I know Im a mess,dont mind me.)

Last edited by lexus114; 05-20-08 at 05:58 AM. Reason: added
Old 05-20-08, 05:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

ok lex recieved sw poduct with promotional gift ram air kit an promotional airfilter cleaner.... i was a little disapointed when looking at the companies website it looked like the inner pipie of intake goes from front to back pipping on diagram, the only inner tube was almost 2 1/2 but little smaller i did not realize it would be so short, the company states they do rigorious testing and to determine diameter size tube and bends and etc, is it possible that they tested out when it work best on rx300 and came to a conclusion of a 2 1/2 inch inner intake tube, if you take off for instance the inner tube wouldn't it be a dragon intake already only difference is inner 2 1/2 inch pipe and filter? have you tested both intakes dragons straight through design vs. the 2 tube design of sw, was there a difference? i was thinking will 2 1/2 inch innertube really force 2 airflows all the way to throttlebody, i was thinking it would dissapate do to maff being in middle of the inner tube, then after maf stright through dragon intake style to oem rubber piece seems kinda far by the time it reaches throttlebody to get 2 airflows after maf don't you think it would just flow as 1 airflow what they could have done was add another inner tube after maff to give addittional dual flow what you think lex thanks buddy.... kool thing that i was amazed was flex tube can go 5feet but the question is will it fit the resonator hole or do i have to squash it through to fit...
Here's the thing, it comes down to a K&N vs. SW filter, not any of the other weapon-r intake.

Take a look at zombie's system above and my system again on page 6 of my link below, you'll be on the right track.

I get some issues with the idle rpms with mine, because my exhaust is all wacko for one and also the open ended design of my intake (no filter), and you won't need to worry about that.
Old 05-20-08, 07:51 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zombie
weaponR intake pipe, autozone spectre cone filter, homemade heat shield (made a top part, but not in pictures), homemade blow horn connected to driver-side bumper vent and flex pipe leading back to air filter. i still have the blow horn, but its just connected to the stock air intake y pipe.

wow thats kool i like that ..... i was thinking at first should i use weapon r sw intake with dragon filter and dragon heat shield for dragon filter connected to ram air? i am thinking about it? it has crossed my mind.... whats the shield made off?
Old 05-20-08, 11:57 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
Wow,thats some engineering you did their!!.... Ahahah,coool,Ehahahah Beavis! (Yeah I know Im a mess,dont mind me.)
thank you! its all ghetto rigged.

wow thats kool i like that ..... i was thinking at first should i use weapon r sw intake with dragon filter and dragon heat shield for dragon filter connected to ram air? i am thinking about it? it has crossed my mind.... whats the shield made off?
the ram air to the spectre air filter was too much maintenance. i had to clean the filter every couple of hundred miles, so the ram air part wont get restricted from dirt. every time after i clean the filter it feels like i gained power (probably in my head), but after a month my gas mileage would suck and it would feel sluggish.

i think the design of the dragon heat shield is kinda crappy. your torque is going to suffer because its gonna take much more time for cold air to travel from the bumper all the way to your intake manifold. ram air doesn't really work until about 70 mph, so power is going to suffer until then. thats why i put back my stock filter box and connect it to the ram air horn. im not sucking in hot air and cold air is ready if i want to floor it at a stop or low speeds.

the heat shield is made of a sheet of aluminum metal and the out side is wrapped with self adhesive foam and foil insulation. its all held together with rivets and aluminum tape.
Old 05-20-08, 07:42 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

thank you! its all ghetto rigged.

the ram air to the spectre air filter was too much maintenance. i had to clean the filter every couple of hundred miles, so the ram air part wont get restricted from dirt. every time after i clean the filter it feels like i gained power (probably in my head), but after a month my gas mileage would suck and it would feel sluggish.

i think the design of the dragon heat shield is kinda crappy. your torque is going to suffer because its gonna take much more time for cold air to travel from the bumper all the way to your intake manifold. ram air doesn't really work until about 70 mph, so power is going to suffer until then. thats why i put back my stock filter box and connect it to the ram air horn. im not sucking in hot air and cold air is ready if i want to floor it at a stop or low speeds.

the heat shield is made of a sheet of aluminum metal and the out side is wrapped with self adhesive foam and foil insulation. its all held together with rivets and aluminum tape.
zombie so the wr ramair tube can fit through the hole of the bumper resonator? i like your shield that was a kool idea you notice a big improvement with that over ram air? what else you hop up on upgrades? thanks, ps what was smart was adding that foam for extra kooling making sure no heat seeps in... great job ... also how did you get wr ramair to sit in front bumper hole? thanks

Last edited by archangels; 05-20-08 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 10:35 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

i made the ram air with a big oil funnel, jb weld, and a 90 degree 3 inch honda civic aftermarket intake tube. the oil funnel has a small plastic tab w/ a hole already on it. so i just zip tied that to something.

i had the heat shield and the ram air running at the same time, but too much heat was still getting in. so the power gain was probably minimum. im happy with my stock air box w/ ram air.
Old 05-21-08, 11:00 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

i made the ram air with a big oil funnel, jb weld, and a 90 degree 3 inch honda civic aftermarket intake tube. the oil funnel has a small plastic tab w/ a hole already on it. so i just zip tied that to something.

i had the heat shield and the ram air running at the same time, but too much heat was still getting in. so the power gain was probably minimum. im happy with my stock air box w/ ram air.
you know what bro for some reason our rx has unusual heat compared to some other vehicles, i was thinking what you were just saying... if i use the wr sw intake kit with ram air wouldnt warm air suck up, you think leaving stock airbox and just adding ram air tube to front will be better since the airbox covers filter and the tube ramair can bring cold air to oem airbox? i currently using a k&n dropin replacement... what yu think zombie, or lexmex lol thanks what would deflect heat better the rubber tubbing to filter or wr aluminized pipe to filter. thanks especially summer comming up its gonna get really warm...
Old 05-21-08, 02:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Rubber usually does a better job depending on how thick. I use some steel tubing up top. PVC is probably the best stuff.
Old 05-21-08, 02:59 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Rubber usually does a better job depending on how thick. I use some steel tubing up top. PVC is probably the best stuff.
you have pics of that resonor piece aswell as the resonator that connects to oem airbox trying to figure out if the ram tube i got will just clamp on to that airbox or something? will ram air cause cel lights to go on? or upgraded filter intake thanks lex
Old 05-22-08, 06:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Take a look at this thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158249

TunedRX300 originally did the ram air intake for the RX300 and he has a picture of the resonator.

I get cel errors because I don't run an air filter, but they far and few right now.
Old 05-23-08, 03:37 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default ram air filter

ok lexmex or zombie advise me gas prices are going way too high, back in the days when 91 octane was under a dollar a gallon this rx only cost 30 something dollars to fill up, now it has more then doubled, i need advise should i add the complete wr sw intake system or if i add wr ram tube to factory filter, what you think will be a better choice summer is comming and warmer air means more fuel consumption.... if the metal intake and sw filter have no heat shield is it best to just add the ram air tubeto factory airbox as you said lexmex that as long as the rubber is thick it dissipates heat better, so i was thinking adding the ram air tube to factory airbox with my dropin k&n filter so colder air would be recieved from the tube, or i was thinking just go with tunnedrx300's idea for 15 dollars? thanksalso with the oem resonator in bumper does it even have a hole to supply the cold air to oem airbox or its just closed and there to quite intake system of oem thankscan someone link me the thread on tunedrx300 custom ram air i have looked online and cannot find it... thanksalso did anyone buy the original ram air tube by wr? i wanted to see pics or have a suggestion on how it connects from airbox all the way down thanks

Last edited by archangels; 05-23-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-23-08, 07:43 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Thread I posted just above described TunedRX300's intake. You lose nothing in trying his system (easiest to implement in my opinion).
Old 05-23-08, 08:44 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Thread I posted just above described TunedRX300's intake. You lose nothing in trying his system (easiest to implement in my opinion).
bro lexmex i saw that resonator i can't believe it had no hole for the air hole in the front bumper for air to pass up to the airbox, it looks exactly what you siad a resonator the only hole was to connect to oem airbox without recieving air from bumper corect me if i am wrong thanks bro, damn i went to home depot but all i bught was an extentioncord... was thinking about that stuff you and tunned did.... they all look kool

Quick Reply: Aftermarket air intake filter system? folks who have one please enter....