RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

One problem fixed, one new problem... ABS or axle ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08, 11:10 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One problem fixed, one new problem... ABS or axle ?

Just got my rear wheel bearing replaced last week to fix that problem. About a week before fixing the wheel bearing, I started to feel something funny in the front while braking... Now with everything quiet again I can hear what sounds like the ABS kicking in, but only if I am braking while turning (left or right). If I brake with the wheels in a straight line, everything seems & sounds normal.

I was reading and searching the site for ABS problems. I guess the next step would be to pull the ABS fuse and see if it still happens... I was looking in the fuse box under the hood this morning for the ABS fuse and saw 3.... I assume the correct one to pull would be the 60amp ABS fuse towards the front ?

Any other ideas would be appreciated...
Thanks

Last edited by deepbluesk; 05-12-08 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-12-08, 12:08 PM
smerre01
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the correct fuse at the moment, but when you disable the ABS and if you still hear the noise it could be the CV joints. They usually make noise when turning at slower speeds when going bad, just a thought.......
Old 05-12-08, 04:15 PM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

I pulled a couple ABS fuses and no more noise..... It would seem one of the ABS sensor rings are bad... ARGH !
Old 05-12-08, 07:41 PM
smerre01
Rookie

don't you have a trip coming up in like 6 days?
Old 05-13-08, 02:54 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Many of us are having the same ABS actuation just before stop. See pulsating brake pedal thread. Let us know what you find
Old 05-13-08, 11:03 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smerre01
don't you have a trip coming up in like 6 days?
Yes, Sunday the 18th..... but I may not get this fixed in time.... I can disable the ABS at the fuse box or leave it as is and just take it easy.... It actually feels better with the ABS disabled now.

Last edited by deepbluesk; 05-13-08 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 11:16 AM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by duane
Many of us are having the same ABS actuation just before stop. See pulsating brake pedal thread. Let us know what you find
This is definitely an ABS issue. Drove many,many miles with it working properly. Had a similar problem with a bad ABS sensor ring in the rear two years ago. This time I think it's in the front. Guess it could be either the sensor or the ring... If it's the ring, I believe that implies a new axle.... or at least that's what happened in the rear.
Old 05-14-08, 03:51 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Do you know what was wrong with your axle ring. I get good sine waves at each sensor which to me indicates a good axle ring. I do get 10 time the voltage at one rear sensor (can't for the life of me figure what would cause this) and figured that one was bad

Duane
Old 05-16-08, 01:18 PM
deepbluesk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by duane
Do you know what was wrong with your axle ring. I get good sine waves at each sensor which to me indicates a good axle ring. I do get 10 time the voltage at one rear sensor (can't for the life of me figure what would cause this) and figured that one was bad

Duane

I don't recall exactly...but the symptom was the same. It was a couple years ago and we needed it fixed quick, so we let Toyota do it... replaced the axle and it fixed the problem.