RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Clear Coat Restorer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 09:59 AM
archangels
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat Restorer?

my ride looks nice but the only thing that bothers me is the front bumper looks like it could be loosing some clear coat shine on some portions of my front bumper, it was waxed but did not help does any one know a product if any out there that can bring back its shine? the portions that look like the clear coat is going away feels slightly rought then smooths out when i get near the clear coat...thanks
Old 05-06-08, 11:23 AM
hitthepin
Driver

I would clay bar the area(or the whole car really) and then use a high grade of polish. Check out this product Zaino. http://www.zainostore.com/

It will give you a show room shine. You must take your time and follow a good procedure.

I also read on a car detailing forum that before you clay bar, you should wash your car with Dawn dish detergent. It will strip off any was or polish the car presently has.

Disclaimer: I'm saying all this assuming the front of your car is just showing age. If your clear coat is peeling, this won't help as much as you'd like.
Old 05-06-08, 11:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Except for buffing it real well,so it blends in.Dewalt sells nice buffers.Other than that,not much else you can do,except re spray clearcoat.
Old 05-06-08, 12:18 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hitthepin
I would clay bar the area(or the whole car really) and then use a high grade of polish. Check out this product Zaino. http://www.zainostore.com/

It will give you a show room shine. You must take your time and follow a good procedure.

I also read on a car detailing forum that before you clay bar, you should wash your car with Dawn dish detergent. It will strip off any was or polish the car presently has.

Disclaimer: I'm saying all this assuming the front of your car is just showing age. If your clear coat is peeling, this won't help as much as you'd like.
i did clay bar the whole car, i think the clear coat wear off on some of the portions on top bumper? any suggestions?
Old 05-06-08, 12:19 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
Except for buffing it real well,so it blends in.Dewalt sells nice buffers.Other than that,not much else you can do,except re spray clearcoat.
where you buy clear coat? will it turn out the same? or other procedures follow?
Old 05-06-08, 12:38 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by archangels
i did clay bar the whole car, i think the clear coat wear off on some of the portions on top bumper? any suggestions?
Clay bar will only remove all the uneven surfaces and contaminants. From there you need to use a high quality polish and buff it. Again, its important to use a quality product. If you don't want to use Zaino, I've used Mothers brand clay bar, wax and been fairly happy with the results.

http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html

If you've clayed, waxed..etc. and it doesn't give you a good shine then, you might just need to repaint.
Old 05-06-08, 02:36 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

And don`t try to spray it yourself,trust me.Go to a reputable body shop for that.You also might want to try a good detailer in your area.If they know how to use a wheel,you would be surprised how it may come out.
Old 05-06-08, 03:40 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Clay bar will only remove all the uneven surfaces and contaminants. From there you need to use a high quality polish and buff it. Again, its important to use a quality product. If you don't want to use Zaino, I've used Mothers brand clay bar, wax and been fairly happy with the results.

http://www.autogeek.net/motcalgolcla.html

If you've clayed, waxed..etc. and it doesn't give you a good shine then, you might just need to repaint.
i did use mothers, i guess it was too late previous owner did not take care of it looks like clear coat vanished on some portions?
Old 05-06-08, 03:41 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus114
And don`t try to spray it yourself,trust me.Go to a reputable body shop for that.You also might want to try a good detailer in your area.If they know how to use a wheel,you would be surprised how it may come out.
whats a wheel? a buffer? does buffers blend together paintclear coats thanks
Old 05-06-08, 09:56 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may be using an abrasive wax/polish that has worn away the clearcoat. I recommend Black Magic which has a true non-abrasive formula.
Old 05-06-08, 10:13 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
You may be using an abrasive wax/polish that has worn away the clearcoat. I recommend Black Magic which has a true non-abrasive formula.
says clear coat safe... but you have a link to that sounds interesting
Old 05-07-08, 06:21 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

whats a wheel? a buffer? does buffers blend together paintclear coats thanks
Yes, it`s a slang for buffer.I have been in the automotive field too long I guess.That is why i mentioned getting it detailed (@ reputable shop,that is known for good work) At my place,their was one guy that could really do great work.
Old 05-16-08, 04:41 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default presto clear coat!

i recenly bought presto clear coat product i will test out once i recieve if everything goes good i will let you know. supposablid it was advertised in the 2guys garage on espn 5 year warranty on there product
Old 05-18-08, 05:13 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default presto dlear coat results pics! before and after

i recenly bought presto clear coat product i will test out once i recieve if everything goes good i will let you know. supposablid it was advertised in the 2guys garage on espn 5 year warranty on there product
this is rx pics before applying presto product clearcoat let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails Clear Coat Restorer?-rx-before.jpg  

Last edited by archangels; 05-22-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 05:16 PM
archangels
Lead Lap

Default after presto clearcoat product applied big improvement?

this is presto product clearcoat applied seems like a big improvemet, but i will apply another coat tomorrow so i could see if it will improve even better and fully shine good product what you think has 5 year guaranteed permanent!
Attached Thumbnails Clear Coat Restorer?-after-presto-applied.jpg  

Last edited by archangels; 05-22-08 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Clear Coat Restorer?