RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can only 1 tire be replaced for a road hazard failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 11:33 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I agree with you TunedRX300, well will find out later when I visit Costco....
Old 06-29-09, 11:36 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me I would go with TunedRX300's suggestion or just go with a new latitude from Costco. Your tires are very close to new and I bet you never know the difference with a latitude on there. With the adjustment it should only cost about $35 to try the latitude. If you don't like it, you can always pick up a used CT at that point and sell the latitude.
Or if there's a Volvo emblem on the front of your RX buy 4 new tires.

Last edited by mikey00; 06-29-09 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 11:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey00
If it were me I would go with TunedRX300's suggestion or just go with a new latitude from Costco. Your tires are very close to new and I bet you never know the difference with a latitude on there. With the adjustment it should only cost about $35 to try the latitude. If you don't like it, you can always pick up a used CT at that point and sell the latitude.
Or if there's a Volvo emblem on the front of your RX buy 4 new tires.
What are you a wise guy now??!! I`m trying to help out here.I didn`t see his last post re: their only worn by 2/32,that definitely changes what I would recommend also.He`s more than likely safe to do as you mentioned.But if their worn,I would recommend what I posted earlier. I was going by the first post @ 5/32.

Last edited by lexus114; 06-29-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 12:26 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Ah, yea two years of bad luck. Just bought these tires last year, after the first road hazard flop at Costco....Volvo emblem. Hey I saw a Lexus emblem on the back of a Hyundai at a local shopping center. threw me off guard for a minute, thought they had a new suv that I hadnt heard about.
Old 06-29-09, 12:43 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by thomas1
Ah, yea two years of bad luck. Just bought these tires last year, after the first road hazard flop at Costco....Volvo emblem. Hey I saw a Lexus emblem on the back of a Hyundai at a local shopping center. threw me off guard for a minute, thought they had a new suv that I hadnt heard about.
Oh man,that must have looked odd! Either a Lexus owner wana-bee or just a sense of humor thing.
Old 06-30-09, 06:09 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

well i went to costco and they had installed a latitude, wanted me to pay prorated price, but I politely told them their patch had failed and ruined my tire. So they called manager and he agreed. They said they had never had a patch fail. so the new tire is on rear, and i am now running with three cross terrains and one latitude.
Old 06-30-09, 06:45 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

well i went to costco and they had installed a latitude, wanted me to pay prorated price, but I politely told them their patch had failed and ruined my tire. So they called manager and he agreed. They said they had never had a patch fail. so the new tire is on rear, and i am now running with three cross terrains and one latitude.
Glad to hear it worked out well. Be sure and let us know how transparent the Latitude is after you have some mileage on it. My bet is you will never feel the difference and you sure can't beat the deal you got. I am planning on 4 Latitudes my next time around being that CTs are gone.
Old 06-30-09, 06:49 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

I will, by the way they are cheaper at Sam club over costco. Too show you the outreach of Sams, they will repair all flats, doesnt matter who sold the tire to you for free. that is truely customer service. You just have to have membership. I saw a lady turned away at costco last night because she didnt buy tires there, but was a member.
Old 06-30-09, 09:34 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info on Sams. I am going to check out their service & price before I buy next time. I was always impressed with Costco service and their flexibility in resolving issues such as yours. It's interesting that they use some non tire/mechanical type people but train them really well. I prefer their tire service over the tire shops who do use tire/mechanical type people but are often in too much of a hurry. Costco people have always torqued everything properly, treated my locks well, and performed all their services well as far as I can tell. I also like the fact that they balance with every rotation. I am sure if I googled them for problems I might find some horror stories.
On the other hand I often find wheels over torqued, tire pressure not quite right, etc from other places. One such place is where I have my mechanical work done, even though they swear they use a torque wrench every time.
Old 06-30-09, 10:18 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will, by the way they are cheaper at Sam club over costco. Too show you the outreach of Sams, they will repair all flats, doesnt matter who sold the tire to you for free. that is truely customer service. You just have to have membership. I saw a lady turned away at costco last night because she didnt buy tires there, but was a member.
Discount Tire also repair tires for free. It is actually a pretty good way to generate traffic to the shops for potential business.

Your Coscto Tire Center should be more customer friendly. But this is why I never buy at Coscto. I could get a cheaper price online (shipping offsets the no tax), repair my flat tires for free elswhere, and if everything else fail, use some of the $ saved on road hazard insurance to buy an used tire off ebay.
Old 06-30-09, 12:52 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Discount Tire also repair tires for free. It is actually a pretty good way to generate traffic to the shops for potential business.

Your Coscto Tire Center should be more customer friendly. But this is why I never buy at Coscto. I could get a cheaper price online (shipping offsets the no tax), repair my flat tires for free elswhere, and if everything else fail, use some of the $ saved on road hazard insurance to buy an used tire off ebay.
Everytime I tried this in the past Costco came up cheaper. I guess the fact that Costco keeps running $60 off sales helps this out a little bit. I just now priced the Michelin Latitude at both Costco and TireRack. If I figure in everything RH, s&h, m&b, for TireRack. And use Costco total price I save $35 per tire when on sale at Costco. If Costco is not running a sale I only save $20 per tire. If don't get the RH ins at TireRack and and use a non sale price at Costco the price per tire comes out about the same but if I have a problem I am stuck with sourcing a ebay tire myself and paying for m&b. Costco RH ins has worked well for me in the past and it looks like it worked for Thomas above. Being that we shop at Costco it makes the free rotation and balancing an easy thing to do. I also like the fact that they use nitrogen but that's no biggie. A lot of bigger shops are using it. If someone had join Costco just for a tire purchase and travel there and wait for the car each time it may not be worth the lower price (or maybe it is).

Last edited by mikey00; 06-30-09 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 01:47 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

sam is giving $60 off a set of four right now.....
Old 06-30-09, 02:04 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Oh man,that must have looked odd! Either a Lexus owner wana-bee or just a sense of humor thing.
This reminds me of the time I saw a hummer emblem on the back of a Honda Element!
Old 06-30-09, 09:58 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

sam is giving $60 off a set of four right now.....
Goodyear, Bridgestone and Yoko all have rebate going with Tirerack periodically.
Here is a $50 rebate from Goodyear currently ongoing now, include $40 MIR SilentArmor and ResponsEdge with Kevlar

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/specia...gy_50_0509.jsp

$100 if you want to go with Bridgestone
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/specia...g_100_0609.jsp

Every distributor and tire maker is giving folks lots of choice and price break, which is great. Personally I buy all four of my tires off Ebay since new tire will become used after one week because the rubber is designed to meet the road. Low switching cost if I gets tired with one set in two years
Old 07-01-09, 06:24 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tromly
This reminds me of the time I saw a hummer emblem on the back of a Honda Element!
Yeah right?? kinda like the dumb ***** that put 5.0 emblems on the 4cylinder mustangs in the 80`s!

Quick Reply: Can only 1 tire be replaced for a road hazard failure?