RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Can only 1 tire be replaced for a road hazard failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 07:41 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never buy tires at Costco, for new tires, I get from tirerack and select one of its approved installer. For used tires, I bought them off ebay and use the same installer. I have never run into any problem and saved big $, the environment, and time.
My AWD RX300 is currently on Pirelli Scorpion Zero 235/60/18 with spacers for two years, handle and stop like a champ in dry and wet.
Old 12-12-08, 04:52 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I bought them off ebay
You might also try Craig's List. It's especially good for heavy items, since you can save shipping charges by buying locally.
Old 12-12-08, 10:28 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Thanks, that is a good option. I buy from folks who run shops since used tires must be inflated to check whether they are damaged, obviously one can't tell by looking at it to see whether there is a bubble.
Old 06-28-09, 08:26 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

well, bad luck again. I noticed a nail in my wifes tires (michelin Cross-terrains) and so before it went flat had it repaired at Costco. The tires were brand new on 3/2008 and have 15k miles on them. They look great. so they put a plug/patch and away I went. today while traveling down highway 99 with temps at 108 degrees outside the patch blew out. Went to costco this evening and they no longer have cross terrains. The tire is damaged from the flat in my effort to get off the freeway. I just got stuck with this about a year ago and had to buy 4 tires. Now I am not sure what to do. preliminary Costco said replace the tire with a Michelin latitude. I cant find specs on old tire to see if it has the same revs per mile, etc. Costco closed so tomorrow the fight begins. The other three tires look like new..... any insights. I am getting tired of being toasted by Costco.....
Old 06-28-09, 09:06 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
well, bad luck again. I noticed a nail in my wifes tires (michelin Cross-terrains) and so before it went flat had it repaired at Costco. The tires were brand new on 3/2008 and have 15k miles on them. They look great. so they put a plug/patch and away I went. today while traveling down highway 99 with temps at 108 degrees outside the patch blew out. Went to costco this evening and they no longer have cross terrains. The tire is damaged from the flat in my effort to get off the freeway. I just got stuck with this about a year ago and had to buy 4 tires. Now I am not sure what to do. preliminary Costco said replace the tire with a Michelin latitude. I cant find specs on old tire to see if it has the same revs per mile, etc. Costco closed so tomorrow the fight begins. The other three tires look like new..... any insights. I am getting tired of being toasted by Costco.....
Thomas- Do you have any America's Tire's or Discount Tire's near you? I have been very happy with them (have purchased a # of sets of tires and a couple of sets of wheels from them), and they have always treated me in a way that insures a customer for life. They go out of their way to make customers happy and would be more likely than most I think to try and accommodate you if they could. They will even deal if they need to to make a sale. Their customer service is what especially impressed me.

108 degrees? It was 75-76 here today with a cool ocean breeze. Now you know why I didn't want to take Lexus114 up on his offer. And at 108 I can understand why you did LOL! Good Luck on your tire journey!
Old 06-29-09, 01:41 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Although you can never be 100% sure that Costco is at fault for doing a bad job at repairing the tire, it is a good possibility... I know that if I had a customer and we repaired their tire and shortly thereafter the tire failed completely, that we would be doing something to make the customer happy...

so, anyways, what probably happened is that the tire was ruined by being low on air pressure first, then it failed... usually caused by a leak (either at the original site, or a new one)

edit: I've been out of the game for a little while, but it seems like Michelin would still be making the cross terrain... in fact, TireRack shows most sizes readily available... my money is that Costco just didn't want to order one for you, or their sales guy/girl is just too lazy or just doesn't know...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 06-29-09 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 05:45 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Although you can never be 100% sure that Costco is at fault for doing a bad job at repairing the tire, it is a good possibility... I know that if I had a customer and we repaired their tire and shortly thereafter the tire failed completely, that we would be doing something to make the customer happy...

so, anyways, what probably happened is that the tire was ruined by being low on air pressure first, then it failed... usually caused by a leak (either at the original site, or a new one)

edit: I've been out of the game for a little while, but it seems like Michelin would still be making the cross terrain... in fact, TireRack shows most sizes readily available... my money is that Costco just didn't want to order one for you, or their sales guy/girl is just too lazy or just doesn't know...
Don't be too quick to blame Costco. They are correct that the Cross Terain is no longer made in your size. If you take the time to look you will see it is no longer listed at Tire Rack or the Michelin Site.
I would go back to Costco and revisit this with the manager and see if they come up with any solutions that would work to your advantage. I always like to let them make the suggestions first. Sometimes you get more than you would have asked for. I assume they are going to cover this with the road hazzard warranty. If so, based on your mileage you are going to pay somewhere around 25% of the cost of a new CT. A new CT full price was $176. 6 months ago when I had one replaced on road hazzard warranty. If they have no resolutions to your liking start making some of your own. I would ask them if they have some way of scouring the inventory to find a replacement CT for you. Maybe even go online and get Costco phone #s and try and find one yourself. Hopefully, you wont have to get to this point.
Old 06-29-09, 06:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I would replace all four w/AWD.Not a good idea to put one new tire on AWD when the other 3 are worn.
Old 06-29-09, 06:55 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

they are only worn 2/32. they have 9 to 10/32 left. Also putting it on the rear with limited slip and only about 20% of the drive wouldnt hurt. I doubt if 2/32 of wear is going to change the diameter that much....

I cant find a cross terrain anywhere locally in that size 225/70/16.... real bummer....
Old 06-29-09, 07:06 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are only worn 2/32. they have 9 to 10/32 left. Also putting it on the rear with limited slip and only about 20% of the drive wouldnt hurt. I doubt if 2/32 of wear is going to change the diameter that much....

I cant find a cross terrain anywhere locally in that size 225/70/16.... real bummer....
You will have no problem at all replacing just one with that little wear. Mine was about 50% worn when I had my road hazzard replacement done. It's on the front with no problems whatsoever.
Old 06-29-09, 08:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

You better read this then!

" In the last few years many vehicle manufacturers that offer all-wheel-drive recommend replacing all four tires if one tire is unserviceable. Although Toyota doesn’t seem to have a specific recommendation, here is what Volvo recommends for their all-wheel-drive vehicles. “When tire replacement is necessary, Volvo strongly recommends replacing all four tires at the same time with identical tires. Failure to do so can result in damage to the transmission and all wheel drive system. If only one or two tires are replaced, the new tire(s) must be identical to the tires with which the car was built, and must be mounted on the front axle only. Failure to do this may damage the transmission and all-wheel-drive system.” Based on this information I would replace two tires and put them on the front of your RAV4."

Granted that is Volvo`s recommendation,but I certainly would not risk drive train stress on our awd system,they have enough problems already.And Toyota doesnt like to give any information on anything! If you still feel you only want to do one or two,follow above recommendations.

Last edited by lexus114; 06-29-09 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 08:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Okay thomas,I thought you meant they were worn down to 5/32 My bad as they say now.

Last edited by lexus114; 06-29-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 08:34 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RayN
And this is backing up what I`m trying to let you know RE; when the tires are worn ^^^^

Last edited by lexus114; 06-29-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 10:27 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Thomas,
I have even gone further with 235/60/18 at rear and 225/70/16 at front and for couple of week. No problem on the AWD since AWD will engage only when there is a slip, the fact is RX300's AWD is FWD 90% of the time.

Ebay has a few used Cross Terrain 225/70/16. You can buy one that matches you wear, or buy a pair to have one spare.
I know it is not right to pay again when you bought hazard insurnace from Coscto (if Costco refuses to pay take it to a local shop on TireRack's list and come back to complain)

But this is the easiest and cheapest way to still use the other three relatively new tires.
Old 06-29-09, 11:31 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

That was from the tires before I replaced them last year, earlier on this thread. These tires have 9 to 10/32 left. Brand new they had 12/32. They are hardly worn.

Quick Reply: Can only 1 tire be replaced for a road hazard failure?