RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how to change fuel filter on lexus rx300

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 07:09 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny about the junk in the tank. Two weeks ago I help my friend replace her fuel pump. It was a 1993 Nissan Maxima. The pump had a "fuel Strainer", as well the car had the typical inline fuel filter. The "fuel strainer" that was in the tank had all kinds of gunk and debris in it. And this was the original fuel pump, 17 years old. The tank inside looked as if it were new, and there wasn't much debris floating around in the tank at all. I laughed at this because I always run my car down to "E"!!!!
Old 05-26-10, 11:33 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

John- It's not a good idea to run the tank low like that because the fuel cools the pump. I have read many times that running the tank low (as kids with pockets turned inside out often do) will lead to premature pump failure from running too warm. My wife never lets her car get below 1/3 of a tank. My truck- seldom ever below 1/4- (not much anyway)

Edit: Filled up many years ago on an Indian reservation in New Mexico. Never do that again, what a mess!
Old 05-29-10, 12:46 AM
rfakinbile
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced mine when the car was jerking and loses acceleration even when the pedal was depressed. Its not so difficult to do ones you follow the procedure. The filter and strainer were so plugged. It's not a task you'll want to do anyway if the car rides fine.
Old 05-29-10, 01:16 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by rfakinbile
I replaced mine when the car was jerking and loses acceleration even when the pedal was depressed. Its not so difficult to do ones you follow the procedure. The filter and strainer were so plugged. It's not a task you'll want to do anyway if the car rides fine.
I see your location and I am not surprised that filter would be clogged. When I was a child my task was to give the attendant (pumps were manned) a sieve with a fine mesh. We always had to tip them as it took 4 times as long for them to fill. Had no clogged filters

Salim
Old 01-26-12, 03:47 PM
sf46
Driver School Candidate

I just had my 1999 RX300 stop on me. I came out to the car in the parking lot and it wouldn't start it would turn over but never start. I waited a while and tried it again. It cranked up for a second or two and then killed. After waiting a few more minutes it did the same thing. Since I had similar issues when the fuel pump went out on my Chevy pick-up, I think it's the fuel pump or filter. I ended up having the vehicle towed to my house. It has 220K miles on it. After it came off the truck, I was able to start it up long enough to pull it into my garage. Does anyone know of a way to check for certain that it is (or is not) the fuel pump or filter. The dealership wants $45 for the filter and $340 for the pump. I think if it is the pump/filter I'll use OEM parts so that I don't have to worry about getting stranded again. Also, does anyone have any photos/instructions of the pump changing process?
Old 01-26-12, 05:27 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

OE pump can be bought for $234 from here http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...iagram=8912560

Sent you a PM
Old 01-27-12, 12:39 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Denso part #9500106 is the complete kit, pump strainer and all accompanying parts at Rock Auto and it shows as OE pump, meaning it is the Original Equipment pump for your car. Should be the same one they want to sell you for $385. (#340.+$45.) at the dealer. It runs $120. at Rock Auto. Pockets bursting?, buy at the dealer. Pockets not bursting, buy at Rock Auto for $120. Choice is yours.
Old 02-03-12, 03:12 PM
sf46
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I took your advice and bought the pump from Rock Auto. The Denso brand pump was the OEM pump just as you said. The original pump that came out was a Denso. The whole process took about 2 and a half hours. It took me 2 hours to take everything apart, swap out the pump and put it back. I turned on the ignition and it started right up. It took me another 30 minutes to put the rest of my vehicle back together. I took photos of the process that I will post.
Old 02-03-12, 03:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by sf46
Ok, I took your advice and bought the pump from Rock Auto. The Denso brand pump was the OEM pump just as you said. The original pump that came out was a Denso. The whole process took about 2 and a half hours. It took me 2 hours to take everything apart, swap out the pump and put it back. I turned on the ignition and it started right up. It took me another 30 minutes to put the rest of my vehicle back together. I took photos of the process that I will post.
Sweet! Glad to hear everything went smoothly!
Old 08-27-16, 10:07 PM
hsmac
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by code58
John- It's not a good idea to run the tank low like that because the fuel cools the pump. I have read many times that running the tank low (as kids with pockets turned inside out often do) will lead to premature pump failure from running too warm. My wife never lets her car get below 1/3 of a tank. My truck- seldom ever below 1/4- (not much anyway)

Edit: Filled up many years ago on an Indian reservation in New Mexico. Never do that again, what a mess!
oh man, did not know this. i do this constantly since i gas at costco and it is not close by. one time i even ran out of gas completely.
Old 08-28-16, 05:51 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My RX now dies although there is approximately 3 gallons still in the tank. Add gas and resumes normal operation. Any thoughts?

Last edited by JAB; 08-28-16 at 05:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-16, 09:30 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by JAB
My RX now dies although there is approximately 3 gallons still in the tank. Add gas and resumes normal operation. Any thoughts?
How did you determine this... you can only fill 12 gallons or so?

Salim
Old 08-28-16, 09:42 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Before I developed this problem I would start with full tank of gas, drive till low fuel light comes on. In the past, that was sufficient for me to go another 50-60 miles before car would die requiring in excess of 16 gallons to fill. Now, low fuel light comes on and within 10 miles car will die. Add one gallon of gas to get to gas station and to fill the tank takes 13 gallons or less. This tells me with a high degree of confidence that I am not able to draw the last 3 gallons of gas in the tank. Why? Clogged filter? Defective pump?

Last edited by JAB; 08-28-16 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-16, 10:28 AM
salimshah

Jab:

Pump does pull action (lifts the fuel up) and then push action .. sends the fuel to the engine under pressure.

There are host of possibilities
1. Weak pump
2. Clogged channels in the tank

Instead of risking on the low end, why not fill up before the tank shows 1/4 full. You or your family member is driving your vehicle so fill now or fill later does not impact you [exception being the extra fuel you carry around and playing the next price/gallon might be cheaper].

Having more than a tank full will help prolong the pump life and will keep the filter in a better shape.

Once you above the half mark you can diagnose some of the pump and filter conditions by driving at sustained high speed ... to see if the fuel supply can keep up with the demand.

Salim
Old 08-28-16, 10:49 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB
Before I developed this problem I would start with full tank of gas, drive till low fuel light comes on. In the past, that was sufficient for me to go another 50-60 miles before car would die requiring in excess of 16 gallons to fill. Now, low fuel light comes on and within 10 miles car will die. Add one gallon of gas to get to gas station and to fill the tank takes 13 gallons or less. This tells me with a high degree of confidence that I am not able to draw the last 3 gallons of gas in the tank. Why? Clogged filter? Defective pump?
You have a higher likelihood that the fuel pump level float is sticking.

Quick Reply: how to change fuel filter on lexus rx300