RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ABS Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 07:58 AM
PSalaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Light

Hello All,

I was having some pulsating problems with my brakes due to the ABS.... The ABS warning light did not light up on my dashboard though. I took off the front ABS sensors and gave them a thorough cleaning hoping that this would make the problem go away. After I reinstalled the ABS sensors and started my car, the ABS light lit up on the dash and won't turn off.. I checked to see if the sensors were securely fastened and found that they were. Is there any way to just turn the ABS light off or reset it???

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-05-08, 08:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I mentioned disconnecting the battery. A few other things would be to clean the back side of the front tires first. Now on the fronts, you can use a degreaser and hose and get it really clean so that there is no gunk there that can get on the sensors, same goes for the rears, but just use soap and water. In addition, this also cleans off the sensor rings.

On the rears, and of course on the fronts, you want to make sure that the bolts for the sensors are securely tightened, reason is that any air gap there can cause an issue.

One final question to the group, has anyone in this forum every disconnected the ABS fuses?

Reason I ask is I may do that myself in order to get a bit more juice/power into the system, and then test the effects without ABS on the track perhaps as soon as Friday or Saturday night.
Old 02-05-08, 09:32 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I am going to go on the limb to answer Lexmex question as I dont have the ckt diagram in front of me.

The sensors draw very little current. The fuse essentially is for the electric pump motor.

Sensor pick up signal depends upon the strength of the magnetic field from the fixed magnets on the shaft and how close the sensors are. Non metallic (magnetizable) junk in between the magnet and sensor will have little to no affect. The magnetic field just goes through it. Any magnetizable debry on the magnet will seriously reduce the magnetic field.

By cleaning the fuse (solid connection) you will potentially affect the motor. I seriously doubt that the motor is current starved ... unless you see crud on fuse and heated wires/melted insulation.

Driving with the abs disabled, is really a skill + what you are used to. In non emergency situation you will most probably see no change, but on sharp braking your RX may behave in a fashion that you do not expect form it.
Life existed before ABS and all I am saying try it out with safety in mind.

Salim
Old 02-05-08, 10:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, tonight I may disable two of the three fuses in the fusebox related to the ABS system, there is a third one, but it is a major PITA to remove (I think we looked into that once my uncle demonstrated just how difficult it would be).

I vaguely remember that our 1983 Honda Accord did not have ABS on it, so it will kind of take me into a time warp with this experience.

Going back to that ABS issue and what you are feeling. I have felt that pulsing also on occasion, right under 5 mph, usually at the bottom of a hill or after some rain. Have barely felt it in the past few years, but the first year or so I was down here, 2002 and 2003, I remember several times I would have this pulsing.
Old 02-05-08, 02:39 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Well, since I am at home today, I noticed virtually no vehicles were parked downstairs. So I disconnected the cable on the ABS unit shown here, and sure enough the ABS light came on. Took it for a few spins around the parking area, and yeah you sure do have to press down all the way to get it to stop hard, but is sure does stop a lot quicker than before. Tried those fuses, but those bastards also seem to be stuck in there (will show in next picture).
Attached Thumbnails ABS Light-img_0840.jpg  
Old 02-05-08, 02:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I may get to those fuses eventually, but that ABS system isn't going back on any time soon on this little RX, very much suits my driving style.

The blue square fuse is the one that we tried to get out once about 7 months or so ago, and the other ones are the ones in white, also a PITA.

I was also reading a very nice thread on the TundraSolutions about disconnecting it, weighing pros and cons, http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...isconnect-abs/
Attached Thumbnails ABS Light-img_0907.jpg  
Old 02-05-08, 02:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now, come to think of it, I remember a few times going downhill when I thought it was my pads (and I do run my pads into the ground) and I would hear that annoying grinding sound, even when not wet, and let me tell you I echo the comments of one of those posters in that other thread, quite a dangerous situation with that ABS going down that one hill that had a greater than 45 degree incline, one that I don't frequent anymore due to a change in jobs.
Old 02-05-08, 03:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Make sure the ignition is off when uplugging or plugging the ABS in, you dont want to blow the ABS ecu.
Old 02-06-08, 03:52 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexmex,

The yellow fuse you have circled is the main ABS 60 amp fuseable link. It is bolted in, I was the one that broke mine trying to remove it. I replaced it, not too bad of a job, just take the fuse box apart like you had shown. I ran without this fuseable link for 4 months. The ABS light does come on, but no more pulsating brakes just prior to stop. It was great. After I replaced the fuseable link, pulsating brakes are back, but the ABS light went out.
Old 02-09-08, 07:57 PM
GREATABOVE
Driver School Candidate

Hello i dont believe it your abs system i bet your rotor are warped this will cause in and out pulsating i would get my rotor trued first if they are real bad this could affect the abs
Old 08-16-10, 04:28 PM
Rudy602
Driver

No, the pulsating brake pedal is your ABS kicking in, when you pull the fuse the ABS is shut off so the light comes on but no more pulse in the pedal cause it's shut off.
Old 08-16-10, 07:10 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I removed the relay, seems a lot easier than the fuse.