RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Key Blankets needing to be cut

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 03:18 PM
tazzboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Blankets needing to be cut

Hi I am new

and was wondering do you know who cuts key blankets for 1999 RX 300. Casing on mine broke and I purchase a new blank key and I need to get it cut correctly so it will work with my 99 RX 300. I have contacted the dealer but they don't do it they want me to get a new key for $89 and I am a little leary with locksmiths here.

I live in Eugene, Oregon any recommendation are welcome.
Old 12-27-07, 04:28 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I can understand the dealer's reluctance to cut a key blank [loosing profit and the material off the blank can damage their equipment ].

As long as the locksmith can cut the key, you should not be too worried ... the worst thing they can do is, mess up your blank.

Have you thought about swapping the plastic half shell.

Salim
Old 12-27-07, 08:14 PM
tazzboy
Driver School Candidate

I did but unfortunately the key part isn't swapable cause it is a 1999
Old 12-27-07, 08:15 PM
tazzboy
Driver School Candidate

I did contact one lock smith and he said it $20 bucks are these the correct instruction on programing the key into my car.

Lexus 1999-2003 RX 300 Key Programming - For NEW CUT KEYS
Process works with all keys - remotes, valet, non-remotes

1. Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors. Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.
2. Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY.
3. Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.
5 Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds, insert the pre-programmed key back into the ignition.
7. Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.
8. Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete.
9. Test the new key. Place the key into the ignition and verify that the SUV will start.
10. If this is a new remote master key, test the remote functions on the new key.
Old 12-27-07, 09:15 PM
salimshah

Are you getting new electronic module as well?

I was under the impression (by the cost) that all you are doing is cutting grooves in the new blank to operate the locks [By the way make sure you give the master key and not the valet key as the "sample" to the lock-smith .... that is if you want a the master to be duplicated.

If you are using the old electronics module, you should not need any programming.

I have not used the above steps, so I can not vouch for them ... although the steps look like I have seen them before.

Salim
Old 12-27-07, 09:42 PM
tazzboy
Driver School Candidate

The casing is what broke the not the remote itself.

Old 12-27-07, 10:23 PM
salimshah

The electronic module has the remote and transponder for imobilizer. The programming is needed to let the ecu sync up with the new electronics. If you drop in the old electronic module, then programming is not required.

Personalization of the key is required (cutting) to operate the passive part of the locking mechanism

Salim
Old 12-28-07, 07:37 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Guys,

I just had the same problem while getting my new key cut for my 2002 RX. I bought a brand new key, shell, and the chip off of eBay. I took it to the dealer and they refused to cut, saying that they will damage there $16k machine and drill bit. So I took it to a bunch of local locksmiths (didn't have a machine). I finally ended up driving 70 miles to a another Lexus dealer that ended up cutting the key for $10.

The programming instructions you are using are wrong, I used the same ones because I did not feel like paying the dealer $30 to program the key for me. Here are the correct directions that I used:

Programming Replacement Keys (1999-2003 Lexus RX300)-

-Enter the car with a working pre-programmed key and close all doors.

-Simultaneously depress and release both the brake and the accelerator pedals.

-Within 5 seconds, insert the working pre-programmed key into the ignition. DO NOT TURN THE KEY!

-Within 15 seconds of inserting the ignition key, depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.

-Within 20 seconds, depress and release the brake pedal 6 times.

-Within 10 seconds, remove the working pre-programmed key from the ignition.

-Within 10 seconds, insert the newly cut transponder key into the ignition.

-Depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. The security light should now begin flashing to indicate that the computer is reading the new key and programming the system.

-Leave the new key in the ignition for at least 60 seconds. When the security light stops flashing, the programming process should be complete

-Start the vehicle using the new key to verify that programming was successful.

Here are the instructions to program the keyless entry buttons:

Programming Keyless Entry Buttons (1999-2003 Lexus RX300)-

-Make sure no key in ignition, driver door open and another 3 doors are closed and locked.

-Insert the master key into ignition switch then remove it. Lock and unlock driver door 5 times (use the lock and unlock button at the door handle, not the master switch). Then close and open the driver door one time.

-Lock and unlock driver door 5 more times (at the door handle, same like the second step). Then insert the master key in ignition and turn it on and then off. Remove the key. You hear the door lock and unlock itself once.

-Then press the lock and unlock bottoms on the key (at the same time) and hold it for about 3 seconds.

-Release both bottoms and then just press the unlock bottom for about 3 seconds and you should be done with reprogramming the remote entry.

I hope this helps, it's kind of confusing, I got it after two attempts, but hey it's worth a shot. I would rather spend 10 mins. doing this then paying the dealer $30.

-habeeb89
Old 12-28-07, 01:43 PM
Rx300Mat
Rookie

generally lexus keys no matter which key you have master key,valet,etc..they are laser cut so u cant just go about getting it cut.
Old 12-28-07, 10:04 PM
tazzboy
Driver School Candidate

I am going by a locksmith tomorrow my only hope is that he can cut it correctly. Cause I have the old broken casing with keys still there so it shouldn't be a problem from them to duplicate. I hope.
Old 12-28-07, 10:36 PM
salimshah

Just ask the locksmith, if he guarantees his work. If the key is rendered useless, would he pay for another blank. [It is only fair that guaranteed work should cost more].

I have never seen the Lexus (or similar) keys cut. The standard keys (pad lock and entry) duplicator has the guide that runs over the ridges and the cutting wheel tracks it. Lexus key needs an inside cut (milling machine comes to mind, but some one mentioned laser cut).

If you happen to see the process, please post.

Salim
Old 12-29-07, 08:07 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had recollections of several threads on this subject from several years ago. I did a search on "RX300" and "sidewinder" and yielded a thread by gp1200x on 3/17/03 that covers the subject pretty well. There are locksmiths in major metro areas that can cut Lexus keys.
Old 01-02-08, 07:35 PM
tazzboy
Driver School Candidate

Ok well there is this guy http://www.toy-lex.com/programming11.html
Old 01-03-08, 12:00 AM
salimshah

Unsubstantiated, but a while back, some one posted that the ECU can store a limited number of keys. If that is right I would advice against registering new key unless it is really needed [I am not sure if the ecu has the smarts to differentiate duplicates].

Fact or not, it just makes sense not to register new key when it is not needed.

Salim
Old 05-10-08, 02:32 PM
phamine
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Unsubstantiated, but a while back, some one posted that the ECU can store a limited number of keys. If that is right I would advice against registering new key unless it is really needed [I am not sure if the ecu has the smarts to differentiate duplicates].

Fact or not, it just makes sense not to register new key when it is not needed.

Salim
Is this true? I currently have 1 key. I just programmed a remote master key.

I have another master key but I have not been able to program it.

So is it a maximum of 2 master keys that can be programmed?

Quick Reply: Key Blankets needing to be cut