RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check Engine - P1153, & P0446

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 09:23 AM
faylow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine - P1153, & P0446

Hi Everybody!
Hope everyone is having a nice holiday

Anyhow, recently the check engine light came on. The milege is at 125,200 and I was afraid it was b/c i did the tranny drain & fill recently...but i went to autozone and they gave me the two codes:
P0446:The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent control in the evaporative emission control system
Definition - EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition
Explaination - The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts
Probable Causes -
1)Purge or vent solenoids defective
2)Check connector and wiring
3)Fuel saturated vapor canister
4)Failed EVAP vent solenoid

P1153:
Definition - Air/Fuel sensor circuit response (bank1 sensor2)
Probable Causes -
1)Open or short circuit condition
2)Poor electrical connection

So I think the guy said one error code was generating the other and that I shouldn't worry but should take the car into Lexus. Is there anything I could possibly check or change out myself b4 taking to the dealer?

Also, I know on hondas, you can reset the 'maintainence required' light by putting the key to accesory and turning the milege reset. Is it a similar method to reset the 'check engine' light or do i have to reset the ecu via the disconnect of battery or fuse? I ask cause I don't know what the radio code is in the event i disconnect the battery and have to enter a code to activate the radio again...

Alrighty, thanks for any help!
Oh yeah...and that transmission drain/fill was super easy from this forum...even easier than an oil change! I can't beleive i was paying $150 for that service?!

oki doki
-k
Old 12-24-07, 11:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

On the fuse/battery disconnect, there is no radio code that I know of in mine, but either the fuse or battery disconnect will clear the light, but if there is still an issue then, then the light will go on again shortly.

On P0446,

P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Malfunction
-Open or short in VSV circuit for vapor pressure sensor
-VSV for Vapor pressure sensor
-open or short in vapor pressure sensor circuit
-vapor pressure sensor
-open or shot in VSV circuit for EVAP
-VSV or EVAP
-Vacuum hose cracked, holed, blocked, damaged or disconnected among Vapor Pressure Sensor, VSV for Vapor Pressure Sensor, VSV for EVAP, Charcoal Canister, Fuel Tank, Fuel Tank Over Fill Check Valve
-Cracked, holed or damaged charcoal canister
-Cracked/damaged over fill check valve

charcoal canister is likely culprit (rear of your vehicle) below the spare tire area on outside of vehicle (black box), there could be a broken rubber line going back there, check the hose on the back of your airbox, too.

On P1153, that is bank 2 sensor 1, the A/F sensor you see off the front manifold in the engine bay.

I would reset the code once (efi fuse/battery), but if the codes are the same, you are looking at a new sensor and possibly charcoal canister.
Old 12-25-07, 06:27 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you opened the top of the air box to check your air filter during your recent tranny drain and fill I can almost guraantee the P0446 is caused the evap hose getting disconnected behind the air box. This is a very common problem on the RX. The hose connects to the air box top at the rear. When you lift the top to check the filter the hose gets disconnected from the metal tube below. Look below your brake fluid container between air box and firewall.
You need to full the fuse, disconnect the battery or plug in a scan tool to reset the light on the RX. No radio code to worry about.