RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

good tow vehicle sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 06:07 AM
motoguzzim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good tow vehicle sometimes?

Hi folks, newbie here. Bought a friend's 2000 Rx300 with 85K miles a couple of weeks ago and I am really enjoying the quietness, thoughful layout of controls, large sunroof, good lumbar support, good visibility etc.

I have been reading that towing should be avoided but a friend used to tow a heavy boat with his and said it was a great tow vehicle. What's a newbie to believe? I'd like to tow my utility trailer and Sunfish sailboat - both light loads. If I were to add a trailer hitch I always add a transmission cooler at the same time. I haven't looked underneath yet but it sounds like this car may already have a questionably placed one installed.

Also, it sounds like you either get a good trans or an "early failure" one. Is there any way to tell which before the failure? Are the "good" ones doing OK with towing? Are any of you happy with this vehicle and towing?
Old 10-08-07, 07:02 AM
andres-eh2
Driver School Candidate

Sometime next year this is something i will be asking myself as well. I will be wanting to tow my "race car" to different tracks around new york. I've read the owners manual as to what to do for towing and i think as long as you keep your tranny maintenance in check, tow light loads (not frequently) and travel on flat roads for the most part, you should be good to go.
Old 10-08-07, 07:43 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

There is yet another perspective ... the weakest link seems to be the transmission on RX [We have had numerous threads on that, and the reader is welcome to revive any one of them. I am of the opinion that it it is not a prevalent problem and we have yet to establish root cause].

So preferably, one should not tax it. Infrequent and low strain tow should be OK, but the transmission should be serviced.

Salim
Old 10-08-07, 12:22 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't tow a feather with an RX300. The transmission is too weak from the factory.
Old 10-08-07, 04:27 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That Sunfish should be no problem when towing. While boats or a brace of PWCs over 2500 lbs might start to be a handful for the uninitiated, that little 'fish, or even a small cat wouldn't present a problem if it is on a good trailer. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lil4X; 10-10-07 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-09-07, 10:19 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by andres-eh2
Sometime next year this is something i will be asking myself as well. I will be wanting to tow my "race car" to different tracks around new york...
That sounds like too much weight for this vehicle.

I think the book say 3500 lbs and the only way I'd tow even that is if I knew I'd be under warranty for as long as I had it.
Old 10-10-07, 05:13 AM
johnp66
Rookie

No sweat if the vehicle is under warranty. Lexus would not warranty a 3500-pound tow capacity for 70k miles if the vehicle wasn't up to it.

Verify the load and follow the Lexus recommendation. Check the tongue weight. My guess is that the Sunfish is no more than 60% of the RX300's capacity, even with the FWD.

The weak link in using small vehicles for towing is the unibody chassis versus ladder-type on the bigger boys. The limitations of FWD probably matches well with the limits of the chassis/frame.

Make sure you have a transmission cooler for longer runs. If you tow a lot, you may want to explore synthetic oil in the transmission. Keep the speeds down and don't flex that chassis hard into curves even with the little Sunfish. Don't try to ****** it around, even though you probably can. Easy does it on the ramp.

If the vehicle has a weakness, the task will expose it. Well-maintained, I bet it can pull 3500 pounds all day long.
Old 10-10-07, 06:36 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I dont think any one has an issue with the "warranty" and how Lexus responds to repairs under warranty. The issue is what the transmission is capable of handling .. [I assume that is what motoguzzim was trying to find out when he started this thread]

There are three basic groups of ppl with strong views on RX transmission (capabilities and problems).

1) There is no issue with RX transmission (most probably is the silent majority)
2) Undecided (waiting for all the facts including failure% and failing part).
3) Very vocal group which thinks there is a design flaw. [Lexus seems to have handled these on case by case basis beyond warranty period. Those who have experienced problems feel something is wrong (irrespective of who covered the repair)

My reference to the "weakest link" was more metaphorical [pertaining to the most talked about issue .. possibly the first thing that fails] and not physical.

Salim
Old 10-10-07, 07:05 AM
johnp66
Rookie

My point wasn't whether Lexus would cover its warranty. These are engineering standards and the financial risk to a manufacturer is enormous if they are applied liberally.

They warrant the vehicle to tow 3500 pounds for 70,000 miles -- and they write a big check to a lot of folks if their engineering fails. And, if they do so, it's a big headline and an issue with investors. They are betting heavily on their engineering standards. Similar vehicles are rated at 2500 pounds. So, Lexus has not been timid with this.

Some may have problems with their transmissions. And, if one suspects a problem, then it must be checked and fixed before towing. Lexus is not perfect, as we know from the oil sludge problems in the RX300. They paid handsomely and their reputation was damaged by that. And we may eventually find the same with the transmission.

Whether the vehicle can still handle it over 70k is the question. Wonder how many are towing and what their history has been? Might make a good poll.

But it's not unusual to see an RX300 at a boat ramp in our area -- towing jet skis and small boats.

Last edited by johnp66; 10-10-07 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-10-07, 04:43 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I used to tow and launch my jet ski with my RX300 no sweat, even used it for a move to tow a dual axle trailer from u-Haul (had air brakes) and that wasn't a problem either, even pickup furniture sets with it and a trailer. I think its very capable with AWD and the factory tow package that includes the transmission cooler.

Now if I had a 21 foot boat, I wouldn't be using the RX300 even if it was under the 3500 weight limit.