RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

i want this :-( -/ exhaust (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 10:05 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok please do! maybe if i can't have the true dual exhaust, what about the dual exhaust tips on one side? not going to give me what i want? let me know when you get a chance to check out the beamer

also is tenabe a good place for exhaust? i saw a banner on this forum and clicked it and it looks pretty good...ill search on my own but i'd like some of your holy imput
--thanks

Last edited by jg 368 48; 08-27-07 at 05:37 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-27-07, 06:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Tanabe is also a good exhaust.

As far as the tips, that ain't too hard to do. I know the exhaust shop where I go, Hangar-1, could do that in a snap on both sides.

X5 was just leaving as I went out the door this morning, but I will get a chance at it tonight.
Old 08-27-07, 07:13 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

tanabe comment - ok thanks
tips - have one...it makes it have a medium toned growl, making much more of a difference than i expected, but i want a deeper pur than that
x5- ok please write back when u get a chance

--thanks

-------------response merge---------------

and i've also decided that i dont want dual tips for dual exhaust (4 tips total)...i either want 1 tip on 1 side, or, more preferably, 1 tip on 2 sides

and i like this sound

and what is this?

and is this a good muffler? got the site from a response by you (lexmex) in a forum about superchargers (TTE)...here it is
thanks

Last edited by jg 368 48; 08-27-07 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 05:52 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

without having a tanabe or magnaflow muffler, the sound of my car is probably what you're looking for too. i wish you lived nearby as i'd be able to let you listen...

what i'd recommend is doing this mod slowly until you get what you want without going all out the first time...
Old 08-27-07, 07:11 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

yea i agree...slow but steady ...do you think that you could somehow record it? maybe set a camera on the ground and then push the gas petal while in neutral, kind of like here? is that possible? and can you use a compression kit in conjunction with a cold air intake? they kind of looked like they were in the same general area, but i dont really know anything and i couldnt remember exactly where the CAI was.

--thanks
Old 08-27-07, 07:43 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if i can find some1 with a vid camera..or maybe ill vid with my camera...cant gaurantee quality.

BUT i can tell you this, the sounds "rips" and sounds much better while in gear. it's loud and stuff in neutral, but it really sounds amazing when you hit it at like 3000 rpm and then when the vvti kicks in..
Old 08-27-07, 08:01 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

(miniround) whats vvti? i know what it stands for, but i dont really know what it is. please explain. also, maybe u could have a friend hold the camera and u drive past? im sure there's more people than just me who'd enjoy hearing your sound

Last edited by jg 368 48; 08-27-07 at 08:34 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-27-07, 10:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

X5 wasn't there and I just got home, so I'll have to take a look in the morning...the guy works late just like me. That TTE muffler won't do it, I talked to some Germans a while back who got it, and it just muffles the sound, not much growl.

vvti- variable valve timing with intelligence, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i

But this is the article to read, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing
Old 08-27-07, 10:26 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

(about the x5) ok.
(about the VVT) - i've only lifted up my hood a couple times and i dont think something of that size will fit in my engine compartment will it?!
what do you think about this compression thing? never heard of it but sounds cool

also...i found this clip of a 4.6 (not 4.8) x5 accelerating from the inside. here it is

Last edited by jg 368 48; 08-27-07 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-28-07, 04:50 AM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcheung87
Here's what I'm talking about.
hey guys. ive been reading and following up on this thread about the exhaust. for some time now ive been trying to make it duel exhaust. i dont see it happening because of that black box to the left underneath the car. i find that it is in the way of fitting a exhaust there and adding a Y-pipe. so my question is: How is it possible to add a dual exhaust whent hat is in the way? If possible can it be removed?

i got the secret weapon-r intake as Lexmex suggested me before. i think my car sounds quite nice right now, but still looking for the dual exhaust. i am about to add a heat shield to it when i find a place that does it.
Old 08-28-07, 06:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bloo1987
hey guys. ive been reading and following up on this thread about the exhaust. for some time now ive been trying to make it duel exhaust. i dont see it happening because of that black box to the left underneath the car. i find that it is in the way of fitting a exhaust there and adding a Y-pipe. so my question is: How is it possible to add a dual exhaust whent hat is in the way? If possible can it be removed?

i got the secret weapon-r intake as Lexmex suggested me before. i think my car sounds quite nice right now, but still looking for the dual exhaust. i am about to add a heat shield to it when i find a place that does it.
You can't remove it, what you have to do it make a very wide angle pipe such as below with the blue line to do it.

I'll mention something about the Secret Weapon Intake in a second, as there is a design idea I have that I'll introduce in a second.
Attached Thumbnails i want this :-( -/ exhaust (Merged Threads)-img_1467-dual.jpg  
Old 08-28-07, 06:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg 368 48
(about the x5) ok.
(about the VVT) - i've only lifted up my hood a couple times and i dont think something of that size will fit in my engine compartment will it?!
what do you think about this compression thing? never heard of it but sounds cool

also...i found this clip of a 4.6 (not 4.8) x5 accelerating from the inside. here it is
I'll address what I saw on the X5 this morning in a second.

That compressor costs a fortune, about $10K USD in the U.S. and a little less in Europe, http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...CategoryID=102

Here is that TTE sports silencer by the way, http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...CategoryID=102

Now, I have read on a Russian forum (I used a translator) about this device and they were of the opinion (just as I am) that it doesn't get the max hp it should (well no supercharger system ever does), but I saw them talking in the +20 hp range, but I am willing to figure it probably does get into at least the +30 hp, maybe 40 at the very high end on a good day. But I'll take my current modifications and power any day.

Now that X5 exhaust system.

From what I saw, it had two square mufflers at the back (I like to call them pillow mufflers), ugly looking, and also it i has about a 3 inch pipe, looked a little larger though, running from the driver's seat across to the right side of the vehicle before running straight and splitting in a y (4 Runner is a little similar in that regard except for the y). That kind of restriction and the use of the large pillow mufflers, along with the sound clips you showed, suggest to me, BMW engineers really, like most high powered SUVs, had to fight to keep the noise down as they are pushing a lot of power, any straighter and use of less restrictive mufflers, and this thing would be as loud as my RX or louder. I'll try to take some shots of this when I get home if the X5 is there.

I thought about this a bit, but I still can't see a way to get that kind of force into exhaust. There is a big difference between a 4.8 V8 and 3.0 V6.
Old 08-28-07, 07:02 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

(bloo1987) yeah it is looking like there's no way to do the exhaust and get the desired sound

(lexmex) ok things are looking as i planned. do you think my best bet is to go as straight as possible with an oval muffler from a company such as magnaflow + a weapon r intake? also what's your opinion on TTE lowering springs to improve corning and reduce body roll/squating/nose dives?

--thanks
Old 08-28-07, 07:07 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Now back to that Secret Weapon Intake idea and I plan to do this before returning to sea level, in part because the amount of air I have been taking in during the past few weeks has been significant. Times dropped down to 18.1 for summer on a few runs (not bad at all and hopefully with lower humidity, will improve for winter. However, not too often I have been getting the occasional P0171 error when I let off the throttle at high speeds (this is ok as I know I am getting enough air), but at sea level, I may need to slow it down a bit on the highway as a precaution.

Therefore, what I plan to do is buy a Weapon-R Secret Weapon filter, http://weapon-r.com/english/index.ph...oducts_id=5599 or maybe the longer version of it, http://weapon-r.com/english/index.ph...oducts_id=5598

and it will go on the end of my current Weapon-R Dragon Intake filter for starters. More in next post.
Attached Thumbnails i want this :-( -/ exhaust (Merged Threads)-legend115.jpg  
Old 08-28-07, 07:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Then as I showed in this picture, it will be surrounded by one of those cooking pot heat shields like this one as I did with that Blitz SUS filter, only I won't be porking a hole through it like this one.
Attached Thumbnails i want this :-( -/ exhaust (Merged Threads)-filter1.jpg  

Quick Reply: i want this :-( -/ exhaust (Merged Threads)