RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

what's the right oil weight for 60,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 08:39 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's the right oil weight for 60,000 miles

I'm approaching 60,000 miles and I'm wondering whats the right weight for me. I don't do any mountain driving. I only do city/freeway miles in Northern California. Is 10W-40 too heavy? Also, anybody know where to get a Toyota oil filter? In addition, should I use full synthetic since I'm approaching 60k?
Old 08-21-07, 09:26 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

5-30 weight is the proper oil. but you can use 0-30 or even 10-30. synthetic of your choice is fine. And get the filters at a Toyota dealership. the same filter fits the Toyota Highlander.....
Old 08-21-07, 09:37 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am at 104K miles and use 5W-30 dino oil all year round. It has never burnt a drop of oil. It starts up just fine in subzero winter in Colorado mountains.

As for synthetic, do a search in the forum. Someone recently switched to synthetic and his engine gasket started leaking. Though Mobil 1's website promised it wouldn't happen.

You can buy Toyota filters at any Toyota or Lexus dealer, online websites, or eBay.
Old 08-21-07, 09:56 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not switch to Syth with such high mileage. Given that there is already 60K of normal wear and your gaskets may not be "pefect," synth. could start leaking where conventional won't. As for weight, I've used Synth since car was 5K miles, so everything is fine and I still use 5W30.
Old 08-22-07, 05:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have known a few who have had leaks when switching and again, not very common.

However, I would switch to something like the German Castrol 0W30, which is a heavy 30 and should given its chemistry avoid even the slightest bit of a
possiblity of a leak.

Your RX is still young in miles before I would even consider at all to move to something like a 40.

As far as the filter, some of the other members here know of a variation in the Toyota filters in so far as where they are made, e.g. Thailand, Japan.
Old 08-23-07, 01:38 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Filters

Originally Posted by Lexmex
As far as the filter, some of the other members here know of a variation in the Toyota filters in so far as where they are made, e.g. Thailand, Japan.

The 90915-YZZB9 were the ones made in Japan, and unfortunately, they're discontinued (about two-three years) now, but I happened to buy like two cases of them when I first got my RX because I knew I'd be doing my own oil changes. When I got down to like 6 filters, I tried to order more, but then I could only get the 90915-YZZD1 (Thailand) ones. The Japan ones looked much better in terms of fit-n-finish and quality (I have attached picture), but honestly, I haven't had issues with either.

The Japan ones (which I still have the six) were lubed better around the seal ring, while the Thailand ones are slightly oiled too. They both open and install, you don't need to put oil on the rings. The Thailand ones just look more like regular Puralator filters.

FYI with Puralator filters, I've used them on my Accord and thus far no issues and it's at 120K, but then again, I've used Mobil1 for all my cars... so who knows what is really working and what is not...
Attached Thumbnails what's the right oil weight for 60,000 miles-filters.jpg  
Old 08-23-07, 02:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

There are some excellent aftermarket filters out there, too. While I wouldn't have a problem using a Toyota filter in a pinch, I don't think I will be moving away from my K&N HP-2009 oversized filter, rather than the HP-1002 which corresponds to the RX300. Lexus/Toyota seem to use a standard size oil filter across their vehicle range, thus I coudn't find anything comparable to the HP-2009, http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HP-2009
Old 08-23-07, 05:04 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also love the oversize oil filter, currently using FRAM XG 3600, which is a decent filter because it is the only one in FRAM's lineup with metal end caps and synthetic fiber filter media with metal mesh screen.
I will cut one open this weekend when I change oil.
Old 08-23-07, 06:38 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Back to oil ....

at 60K are you experiencing loss of oil (burn or leak) or what? If there is a problem, it may be worth playing with the weights but if, everything is OK, then why change?

Salim
Old 08-23-07, 11:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

May I suggest the following thread that discuss about SAE oil weight and high mileage oil.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=296217
Old 08-24-07, 01:01 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmex
There are some excellent aftermarket filters out there, too. While I wouldn't have a problem using a Toyota filter in a pinch, I don't think I will be moving away from my K&N HP-2009 oversized filter, rather than the HP-1002 which corresponds to the RX300. Lexus/Toyota seem to use a standard size oil filter across their vehicle range, thus I coudn't find anything comparable to the HP-2009, http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HP-2009
Outside of the obvious, what advantages if any does using an oversize filter give you under normal driving conditions. I know you do more high performance stuff with your RX and no air filter, but for the average joe driving would it be worth it?

I presently use the HP-1002, but I'd switch to the oversize if the advantage is longer engine life. If it helps prevent sludge, I'll install it in the car.
Old 08-24-07, 01:25 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Outside of the obvious, what advantages if any does using an oversize filter give you under normal driving conditions. I know you do more high performance stuff with your RX and no air filter, but for the average joe driving would it be worth it?

I presently use the HP-1002, but I'd switch to the oversize if the advantage is longer engine life. If it helps prevent sludge, I'll install it in the car.
I use oversized for 1) more filter media to store debris in the oil 2) increase oil sump capacity. 3) more flow across the filter element and make sure that element is not the bottleneck to restrict oil flow at high RPM.
Daily user can still benefit from 1) and 2). If you use Mobil 1 or FRAM, there is no additional $ for getting the better filter. You have to pay additional $ if you prefer Napa Gold and K&N.
Old 08-24-07, 01:40 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I use oversized for 1) more filter media to store debris in the oil 2) increase oil sump capacity. 3) more flow across the filter element and make sure that element is not the bottleneck to restrict oil flow at high RPM.
Daily user can still benefit from 1) and 2). If you use Mobil 1 or FRAM, there is no additional $ for getting the better filter. You have to pay additional $ if you prefer Napa Gold and K&N.
Well the cost really wouldn't bother me as I'm using a K&N filter now. I think the oversized is about 50cents more. No big deal there.

I'm far from an expert, but I've read good and bad about the FRAM's. How long have you been using the oversized FRAM in your RX and do you like it?
Old 08-24-07, 02:02 PM
edbro
Rookie

Sounds like the oversized filter would really be a benefit if you are doing a Auto-RX oil treatment. I'm about to drop some in at my next oil change so I'll probably use the oversized filter to catch any of the gunk it breaks loose.
Old 08-24-07, 02:11 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hitthepin
Well the cost really wouldn't bother me as I'm using a K&N filter now. I think the oversized is about 50cents more. No big deal there.

I'm far from an expert, but I've read good and bad about the FRAM's. How long have you been using the oversized FRAM in your RX and do you like it?
FRAM gets a very bad rep because the TG and EG filters build quality is bad with poorly glued filter media and paper end caps.
The XG is FRAm's most expensive and best filter. The build quality is on bar with Mobil and K&N, which are designed by Champion Labs. XG has metal end caps, synthetic filter media with metal mesh cage, and silicon anti-drainback valve.
I am due for an oil change and will cut the XG3600 open this weekend. I will post some picture of the filter early next week.

Quick Reply: what's the right oil weight for 60,000 miles