RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

225/70-16 vs. 235/70-16 tires/Alternative to Cross Terrains (merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 09:12 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 225/70-16 vs. 235/70-16 tires/Alternative to Cross Terrains (merged thread)

Our RX-300 has Goodyear Integrity tires. Although they still have over half the tread depth left, I want to replace them because their traction on a wet surface is unacceptably dangerous and they are much to quick to hydroplane. I also think their overall handling is poor and I perceive them to be much noisier than I think they should be.

I am looking for a recommendation for a replacement. The important parameters to me are:

- Wet surface traction / hydroplaning resistance
- Handling
- Quiet

Ride comfort is also important but not at any consequential expense of the items above. We live in Florida so ice/snow handling is of no importance.

Right now the Michelin LTX M/S is the front runner. The Michelin Cross Terrain SUV appear to be a slightly better tire but I think it is only available with raised white lettering.

I would appreciate any thoughts about the Michelin LTX M/S or other alternatives that appear to be as good. Replacing the four tires with these Michelins will cost over $600 so I want to be sure I am doing the right thing. This might be expensive but this is cheap insurance if it enables us to avoid a single incident.
Old 07-08-07, 09:53 AM
gp1200x
Rookie

I have the Michelin Cross Terrains and Goodyear Integrity on multiple cars. For the Michelin, simply swap the tire face if you don't want the RWL. The Michelins ride slightly harsher...take my word for it...not very much but a little...better traction though. Also ....be careful on sizes....the 225s are much cheaper BUT they do not have the same tread life...marketing scam for unsuspecting consumers! Yes, I mean scam because that is what it really is. Move to the 235 size and the tire treadlife is much longer. This is what I found a few years ago and I doubt they have changed it yet. Check the tire specs to confirm the treadlife specs. The better buy is the 235. This was true of the Mich, can't remember if Goodyear pulled the same crap. The reason is a lot of stock vehicles used to come with 225, they cut down on the treadlife to reduce tire costs and tire warranty specs.
Old 07-08-07, 10:43 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may go to tirerack to see survey ratings
General Tire Grabber UHP have excellent wet and handling. The drawback is its UTQG is only 360. For for $78, that should give you good bang for the $.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....R6GRUHP#Survey
Goodyear Assurance ComfTred has better comfort rating but does not perform as well in the wet as the General Tire. Treadwear is much better. Tirerack currently has $40 cash card promotion.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....7TR6ACT#Survey

If you still want to try out the Michelin LTX, why not buy couple of used tires off ebay. There are two with 8/32 or more threadwear that can be delivered at a little over $100. If you don't like them, you can sell them on ebay. If great, just buy two more tires.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-08-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-08-07, 10:45 AM
RhoXS
Rookie

Default 225/70-16 vs. 235/70-16 tires

Is there any overall advantage/disadvantage of using 235/70-16 tires instead of the OEM 225/70-16 tires?

As I explained in another post, I want to replace the Goodyear Integrity tires. While researching a replacement choice, I noticed some posts discuss using wider 235 tires.

I would assume the wider tires somewhat improve dry weather handling at the expense of increased rolling resistance, economy, and possibly noise. Is this indeed true and, if so, to what extent?

Is it also a good assumption that wider tires mean the tire has a harder time expelling water and wet surface handling is compromised?
Old 07-08-07, 11:00 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

visit tire-rack. Just be aware that the opinions are from users, which may or may not be scientific or professional opinions.

Integrity's are much maligned but in fairness are OK tires. A reasonable compromise considering all factors including price.

I am about ready to replace my M/S and will not buy them again for noise. As the tread wore off, they are just like Integrity when they had the same amount of tread left. [I only noticed + improvement when I switched worn Integrity to new M/S]. The integrities had softer sidewalls, so they tend to make the steering a bit floaty, but made the ride smoother. Since I dont push the RX and never try to even come close to it's limit in handling [which arguably are not that great to begin with], I may opt of more comfort oriented tires. GoodYear comofortreads are one set on list.

At the end, you too will have to make your choice based on what is more important to you.

Salim
Old 07-08-07, 11:04 AM
salimshah

Dont overlook the increased demand on transmission when you go wider tires.

Salim
Old 07-08-07, 11:37 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the Michelin Cross Terrains last year when Costco had one of their several times a year Michelin sales. I had them mounted with the raised white lettering on the inside.

I went with the stock size, which www.tirerack.com says has a UTQG of 700. They have the 235/70 size with a UTQG of 420, which is how I remember the two sizes stacking up.

I'm not a fussy person, but the tire is noisy on some concrete road surfaces. Other than that, I'm very pleased.
Old 07-08-07, 11:56 AM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kumho Solus

Check out the Kumho Solus tires...They are great tires and are very reasonably priced..I am putting these on my 2001 RX 300 next month...Had Kumho V rated tires on my porsche boxter and I loved them..Great tire company
Old 07-08-07, 02:21 PM
Gomer1
Driver

Originally Posted by gp1200x
I have the Michelin Cross Terrains and Goodyear Integrity on multiple cars. For the Michelin, simply swap the tire face if you don't want the RWL. The Michelins ride slightly harsher...take my word for it...not very much but a little...better traction though. Also ....be careful on sizes....the 225s are much cheaper BUT they do not have the same tread life...marketing scam for unsuspecting consumers! Yes, I mean scam because that is what it really is. Move to the 235 size and the tire treadlife is much longer. This is what I found a few years ago and I doubt they have changed it yet. Check the tire specs to confirm the treadlife specs. The better buy is the 235. This was true of the Mich, can't remember if Goodyear pulled the same crap. The reason is a lot of stock vehicles used to come with 225, they cut down on the treadlife to reduce tire costs and tire warranty specs.
he has it the other way around. on the cross terrains, 225 comes with almost double the tread of wear.
i just upgraded to michelin cross terrain 225 last weekend, and the nicest thing i've noticed is that when i hit the breaks, the car no longer goes on nose dive. they have harder side walls than what i had before and i could really notice the difference. from reading around here, cross terrains (225) seem the be the way to go, although recent consumer reports study might show otherwise. still the integrities are terrible and duelers are no that great in snow.
Old 07-08-07, 02:23 PM
Gomer1
Driver

check a similar post regarding size and michelin cross terrain
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=287529
Old 07-08-07, 02:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The 235s I have here in Mexico are much more durable than the ones sold in the U.S. There is at least two extra layers of protection, one of which is a nylon material. However, you will pay about $180 to $250 USD per tire here depending on where you buy it.

For me, the 235s made my RX feel a little more like a tank when I changed to them over 5 years ago. I have lost a bit in the acceleration from what I remember.

Next time, I am strongly leaning toward moving toward a shorter 60 sidewall but keeping a 235 width by going to Michelin Energy LX4s, much lighter weight, but they also can readily support the weight of my vehicle and of course will have better rotation for both performance/MPG.
Old 07-08-07, 06:07 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Thanks for all the great responses.

I previously did look at the reviews/opinions on The Tire Rack's web site. That is how I started to focus on the two Michelin products (LTX M/S and Cross Terrain SUV). I am still not sure which will be the better choice but I guess I will make an on the spot decision tomorrow when I call The Tire Rack to order them.

I have decided to stay with 225 tires and not go with wider 235 tires. I was hoping to keep the thread with this question separate as it addresses the question of size (not style) and I did not want to distract from my primary concern of which model to buy with this secondary issue.

Thanks again for all the advice above.
Old 08-03-07, 01:56 PM
rbtamms
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently replaced my Goodyear Integrity with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Wow, this tire is really quiet & has good traction on wet road too. I compare it with Michellin & the review is good especially the quietness of the Alenza. Also the the tire really looks good & has that luxury & expensive look.
Old 08-03-07, 10:58 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by rbtamms
I just recently replaced my Goodyear Integrity with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Wow, this tire is really quiet & has good traction on wet road too. I compare it with Michellin & the review is good especially the quietness of the Alenza. Also the the tire really looks good & has that luxury & expensive look.
Were the integrities worn? If so, then it is not an apples to apples comparison.

Salim