RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Destroyed ABS sensor, need help

Old 07-01-07, 08:24 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Destroyed ABS sensor, need help

Well, trying to remove the rear abs sensors to try and clean them. Why, well the ABS was actuating at very slow speed just prior to stopping. First attempt was to clean the sensors, well I destroyed the drivers rear one. Two questions,

1) To make the car driveable without the abs sensor, should I just pull the 60 amp ABS fuse. Otherwise, I believe the ABS will actuate all the time with one missing sensor.
2) Best place on the web to buy a drivers side rear abs sensor.

thanks for your help
Old 07-01-07, 09:45 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by duane
Well, trying to remove the rear abs sensors to try and clean them. Why, well the ABS was actuating at very slow speed just prior to stopping. First attempt was to clean the sensors, well I destroyed the drivers rear one. Two questions,

1) To make the car driveable without the abs sensor, should I just pull the 60 amp ABS fuse. Otherwise, I believe the ABS will actuate all the time with one missing sensor.
Why don't you try? ABS is an independent subsystem.

2) Best place on the web to buy a drivers side rear abs sensor.
thanks for your help
MSRP for this sensor is $193.54. This means that if you search, you can find it for around $130.
Park Place Plano Parts have it for $160.64.
Toyota of Hollywood (Florida) - $128.00
Old 07-01-07, 10:43 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Well, pulling the fuse did not go well. I thought it pulled straight up like other fuses. It does not seem to, I ended up breaking that fuse as well. Anyone know how to remove the 60 ABS fuse.
Old 07-01-07, 11:00 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

The good news is that the car can be driven, just the ABS light on. What kinda worries me is that the 60 amp fuse is called a fuseable link. Now that it is broken, I'm not sure how you fix. I should have probably pulled the ABS motor and solenoid relays.
Old 07-01-07, 12:45 PM
duane
Driver School Candidate

After some research, a fusible link is not removeable like a regular fuse. Apparently it is bolted in. Anybody know how to replace. I have a poor electronic version of the service manual I bought on ebay. Anybody have a regular service manual which details replacement of a fusible link. I am attaching a picture which shows which fusible link I broke. (see the red circle and line(
Attached Thumbnails Destroyed ABS sensor, need help-lexus-fusebox-002.jpg  
Old 07-01-07, 07:47 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

I replaced one on a friend's sc and the bolts were accessible from below ... I had remove the fuse assembly.

Please don't be offended, but may be let some one else work on the car. Two in a row ... you are on the roll.

Salim
Old 07-02-07, 02:58 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Salim, not offended, I am a big DIY type person. Sometimes it goes that way.

Meetya, how did you find Toyota of Hollywood (Florida) to have the abs sensor. Do you have a part number for the sensor.

Lexmex, does the service manual detail how to replace the fusible link?
Old 07-02-07, 06:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Salim, not offended, I am a big DIY type person. Sometimes it goes that way.

Meetya, how did you find Toyota of Hollywood (Florida) to have the abs sensor. Do you have a part number for the sensor.

Lexmex, does the service manual detail how to replace the fusible link?
I wanted to get to this last night, but some work came up just after I finished my other posts. I think Salim is right as I have seen this fuse how it is connected after removing the top part of the fusebox in order to do intake modifications. I won't be able to take a look at my manual or anything hands on until this evening.

As I recall recently, there is a different configuration for the AWD and FWD rear sensors.
Old 07-02-07, 08:15 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After some research, a fusible link is not removeable like a regular fuse. Apparently it is bolted in. Anybody know how to replace. I have a poor electronic version of the service manual I bought on ebay. Anybody have a regular service manual which details replacement of a fusible link. I am attaching a picture which shows which fusible link I broke. (see the red circle and line(
The 2003 service manual is not much help. It states "Remove the fuse from the fusible link and inspect the connector on the fusible link side" Other than that just diagrams showing locations. You may find this link helpful. It is someone else who couldn't pull the fusible link and pulled the relay instead.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...BS%20fuse&st=0
Old 07-02-07, 06:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I took a look, but you just need to remove both bolts holding the fuse box to the body and then release the plastic clamps around the side and that should lift off the top of the fusebox (there is coil of wires connecting all the circuitry of the fuses, so don't worry about doing this).
Old 07-02-07, 06:54 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
so don't worry about doing this).
Maybe you should have also added that the battery should be disconnected before doing this. Otherwise, I'd be worried.
Old 07-02-07, 06:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bob2200
Maybe you should have also added that the battery should be disconnected before doing this. Otherwise, I'd be worried.
Good point of safety.

However, I have repeatedly on occasion pulled fuses before without disconnecting the battery. Removing the top section of the fuse box (where the fuses are held) won't cause issues by itself.
Old 07-03-07, 04:02 AM
duane
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. I will let you know how things work out.
Old 07-03-07, 05:43 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Good point of safety.

However, I have repeatedly on occasion pulled fuses before without disconnecting the battery. Removing the top section of the fuse box (where the fuses are held) won't cause issues by itself.
You are crazy! I always disconnect and pull the whole battery out even when I fill out with gas or wipe the windshield. Also, when I go shopping or to a restaurant, I always take my battery with me. I used to also dismount the steering wheel and carry it with me on the key ring, but some stupid girls would always laugh at me. Come one! It is a steering wheel from Lexus!

Actually it is more dangerous for your vehicle when you connect/disconnect the battery than pull out the fuse box.
Old 07-03-07, 08:49 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My thinking was that there might be exposed contacts/wires on the underside of the fuse panel that could get grounded, either from touching to some nearby engine compartment metal directly or though a wrench/screwdriver. If these wires were before the fuses, they might not be fused for protection.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Destroyed ABS sensor, need help