RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Load Capacity??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-01, 06:08 AM
Goncookoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load Capacity??

Hello all,

I was rummaging through an issue of consumer reports at the bookstore and found a comparison on a lot of vehicles. So I read the reviews on the RX (obviously they were excellent).

Well I stumbled across this one rating that puzzled me.

To my recollection it was called: Load Capacity

The RX's Load Capacity was rated at between 800 and 900 Lbs(I cant seem to remember the exact number). I thought it was the towing capacity but then saw that the towing capacity rating was also listed, so I knew it wasnt that. I looked around for what Load Capacity meant but couldnt find a definition. Im assuming that it means how much weight the car can be loaded with (is that right?). To compare, I looked at other cars and saw that they too had it and the RX's rating was almost equal to the ES300, Camry, etc.. !!!!! WHAT? So i looked at some SUV's and found that all other SUV's had higher Load Capacity ratings (400 lbs more at least)!

So what does this mean? If its truley "how much the car can be loaded with," are you saying its the same as a sedan? I know the RX was built to be less of an SUV, but boy that means i cant load it with more than what I can squeeze into a sedan? I have plenty of friends that weigh 300lb+ and ive carried them in my car plenty of times. On occasion i know ive packed more than 900lbs of stuff into my car (mainly people and their luggage).

So, is stuctural damage imminent if i carry my heavy frineds? Man, I thought the RX could at least carry more than a sedan.

goncookoo
Old 12-15-01, 08:31 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

You're right about the load capacity, it's how much weight you can carry inside the vehicle. Consumer Reports did a report on this a little while back and the RX along with some other SUVs have very low load capacities.

I guess if your passengers are over the load capacity, you can hook up a trailer and tow them behind you

-Nick
Old 12-20-01, 01:07 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

The Rx is A raised 5 door Camry.... But A Lexus SUV...
Old 12-21-01, 10:39 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Re: Load Capacity??

Originally posted by Goncookoo
Hello all,

I was rummaging through an issue of consumer reports at the bookstore and found a comparison on a lot of vehicles. So I read the reviews on the RX (obviously they were excellent).

Well I stumbled across this one rating that puzzled me.

To my recollection it was called: Load Capacity

The RX's Load Capacity was rated at between 800 and 900 Lbs(I cant seem to remember the exact number). I thought it was the towing capacity but then saw that the towing capacity rating was also listed, so I knew it wasnt that. I looked around for what Load Capacity meant but couldnt find a definition. Im assuming that it means how much weight the car can be loaded with (is that right?). To compare, I looked at other cars and saw that they too had it and the RX's rating was almost equal to the ES300, Camry, etc.. !!!!! WHAT? So i looked at some SUV's and found that all other SUV's had higher Load Capacity ratings (400 lbs more at least)!

So what does this mean? If its truley "how much the car can be loaded with," are you saying its the same as a sedan? I know the RX was built to be less of an SUV, but boy that means i cant load it with more than what I can squeeze into a sedan? I have plenty of friends that weigh 300lb+ and ive carried them in my car plenty of times. On occasion i know ive packed more than 900lbs of stuff into my car (mainly people and their luggage).

So, is stuctural damage imminent if i carry my heavy frineds? Man, I thought the RX could at least carry more than a sedan.

goncookoo
The RX is a tall "wagon" and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, but it's nonetheless a Lexus in every way - reliable, comfortable and luxurious with just a touch of ruggedness. For the most part the RX 300 serves it's mission very well. It's not for those who want a huge behemoth of an SUV (i.e. the "bigger-is-better-crowd"). It's a relatively compact, luxurious, personal transportation for those that want to venture a little beyond the civilized world (that is people like me, who are single, WITHOUT large families or 10 tons of cargo to haul) - Currently very very few models serve this market!!!....so Thank God for the combination of the COMPACT and SOMEWHAT RUGGED, LUXURIOUS RX!!!......However, if I were to desire anything more in the RX, it would be SLIGHTLY better off-road capability - maybe an inch or so more ground clearance and some sort of protection underneath (at least on 4WD models)

Last edited by vicpai; 12-21-01 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 12:07 PM
white01
Driver

I read the same thing. I have noticed that these vehicles are sensitive to weight. It's more a handling/safety concern than a structural integrity issue.