RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine is gone at 149,970 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 08:11 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Are marks left by valves, crashed by pistons and broke the rod during the collison? This is very interesting because 1mz-fe supposed to be a non-interference engine, even if the timing belt is broke, should have no bent valves.
Some piston heads are designed to clear valves, thus you see the indentation. Here's a photo of such design (non-Toyota.)

Given the 1MZ-FE piston heads have such indentation, I'd say that the 1MZ-FE engine is non-interference IMHO. (Otherwise there's no point for Toyota to make it that way.)
Attached Thumbnails Engine is gone at 149,970 miles-piston-head.jpg  
Old 05-31-07, 08:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That's one of them that I was thinking about. Something I was reading told me there was a slight bump in power for the ES in 99 and perhaps that was when the changeover was. There certainly weren't any Toyota Harriers, 97 and 98 model years, that had the 3.0 1MZFE, only the 2.2 L 5SFE and later the 2.4 L 2AZFE. The 1MZFE was used since about 94 in the ES/Camry.

If my rods ever go (they will one day if you wait long enough), I am getting some of these, http://www.pauter.com/toyota.htm
The Camry model did not run VVT-i in their 1MZ-FE until after the ES recieved it in 99. VVT-i was implemented on the Camry's V6 until 5th generation for the 3.3L 3MZ-FE (2004-06) SE Model only. There was never a VVT-i version of the 1MZ-FE in any Camry V6 model. On the other hand, the 97-01 1MZ-FE V6 for the ES300 gained VVT-i during the 3rd production year of the 3rd generation ES (1999). The first Camry to implement VVT-i in any engine offering was the 2AZ-FE 2.4 starting Gen 5 Camry, 2002. VVT-i MZ series blocks are interference engines per Toyota and Lexus techs. Pre VVT-i MZ series blocks are non. As for the pinky sized rods in the MZ series block and supercharging w/higher boost...that's another story.
Old 05-31-07, 08:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
As for the pinky sized rods in the MZ series block and supercharging w/higher boost...that's another story.
I hope to add a few lines to that story one day, though in the form of a turbo.

Thanks for the explanation on the ES series.
Old 05-31-07, 08:45 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
Some piston heads are designed to clear valves, thus you see the indentation. Here's a photo of such design (non-Toyota.)

Given the 1MZ-FE piston heads have such indentation, I'd say that the 1MZ-FE engine is non-interference IMHO. (Otherwise there's no point for Toyota to make it that way.)
It is not clear for me what those valve pockets are for. One thing I know for sure is that 1MZ-FE with standard valve timing is non-interference but the one with VVT-i is interference. Take a look at the photo of piston with broken rod -- those pockets are practically polished by valves.
Old 05-31-07, 08:53 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetya
Any idea how new block affects MPG?
I am still a bit at loss about rebuilding the head. Maybe I should have gotten a factory new head assembly, not rebuild. Or at least new cams, gears and valve parts. Right now I only know they will replace one [broken] camshaft (out of 4), I don't know if the rest of them will stress another 150K miles.
This guy also cleaned and re-assembly the cam head of a Camry.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/sludg...ng_sludge.html

If you are concerned about sludge on other parts such as piston rings, Auto-RX is a safe and proven cleaner.
Did the mechanic explain to you why that rod is broken? Stuck piston ring?
Old 05-31-07, 08:53 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I thought it was an interference engine, This has been discussed before but I cant find the post...
Old 05-31-07, 09:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Auto-Rx is a proven winner. My uncle still is amazed to this day at what that stuff can do.

As far as intereference/non-interference, that was always a big debate, but there definitely was a point where there was a change over.
Old 05-31-07, 10:21 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
TunedRX300,

If we can ever get some aftermarket cams for these 1MZFEs...oh that would be jolly.
Yes, along with forged rods.
Old 05-31-07, 10:37 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Yes, along with forged rods.
Standard rod will just break, causing block damage (my case?).
Forged rod will push piston and then valves causing cams to break and possibly head case (am I right?).
What is better? (I am not being sarcastic, I really don't know)
Old 05-31-07, 10:59 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Forged rods have lighter weight, which reduces power wasted to turn these things. Some of the newer engines such as the new V3.7 in the MDX have forged steel rods and camshafts to reduce rotational mass.
Again, no one makes it. Lexmex and I are just dreaming.
Old 05-31-07, 11:03 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Forged rods have lighter weight, which reduces power wasted to turn these things. Some of the newer engines such as the new V3.7 in the MDX have forged steel rods and camshafts to reduce rotational mass.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info!
That is wrong with 1MZ? It is outdated or something?
Old 06-01-07, 05:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am crying.
Old 06-01-07, 06:06 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea how new block affects MPG?
I am still a bit at loss about rebuilding the head. Maybe I should have gotten a factory new head assembly, not rebuild. Or at least new cams, gears and valve parts. Right now I only know they will replace one [broken] camshaft (out of 4), I don't know if the rest of them will stress another 150K miles.
No significant change in MPG, she has gained about .5, currently getting 20.6 vs. 20.1 before it seized. I'm surprised that you didn't get new heads, we did and the local shop installed all of the new head components. I don't recall if new cams were on the parts list because there were so many pieces listed, I think they were. Our warranty from Lexus is only 1 year, unlimited mileage.
Old 06-07-07, 06:20 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Update.
Sparkplugs on cylinders 3 and 5 where busted (white ceramics broke). I still trying to think why. I know that cylinder 5 rod broke, but how does it affect spark plugs? My only guess is heat buildup. But ceramics? They cannot handle it?
FYI: All 6 spark plugs are 2 month old. And, no, I did not over-torque them!
Old 06-07-07, 06:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Update.
Sparkplugs on cylinders 3 and 5 where busted (white ceramics broke). I still trying to think why. I know that cylinder 5 rod broke, but how does it affect spark plugs? My only guess is heat buildup. But ceramics? They cannot handle it?
FYI: All 6 spark plugs are 2 month old. And, no, I did not over-torque them!
Yes, ceramics CAN do that. My uncle and I pull about 3 or 4 busted plugs (I think 2 on one vehicle) in the past year, and those vehicles also had sludge buildup.

Quick Reply: Engine is gone at 149,970 miles