RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

roof rack

Old 03-23-07, 08:47 AM
ppcpilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default roof rack

Stupid question, but I've never had a roof rack on a vehicle before..how do you put stuff up there? Do you just place the carrier or whatever on top and bungee cord it down? Do you place the load on top of the crossbars, or directly on the roof? I'm talking luggage stuff, not surfboards or bicycles...was thinking about one of those big bags to put everything in...what is the weight limit?

Manual seems to be quiet about this thing.
Old 03-23-07, 10:12 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the limit is about 75lbs but it can hold more. It placed carefully. I removed mine for aesthetic reasons and to save gas by being more aerodynamic. Don’t die laughing. With today’s gas prices I will try anything.
Old 03-23-07, 11:16 AM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you put the luggage on the crossbars....well thats what my dad did on many past road trips and that turned out alright. we then used nylon rope or bungie cords to strap em' down.

i too removed my roof rack and i think i save more gas on freeway high speed cruising.
Old 03-23-07, 11:50 AM
J_S
Driver School Candidate

Use the cross- and sidebars to surround the luggage or roof bag and to help the bungee cords keep things up there. The roof can support a few suitcases.
Old 03-23-07, 12:02 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For luggages (say to and from airport,) you can simply bungee cord them down onto the roof rack. Just make absolutely sure that they are secure.

For road trips, I'd recommend at least a vinyl cover or a bag in case of inclement weather, and a blanket on the roof to avoid scratches.

Buy a Thule if you plan on doing this often. It can be secured on the roof rack.
Old 03-23-07, 10:21 PM
rx300s415
Driver

Originally Posted by anulex
I think the limit is about 75lbs but it can hold more. It placed carefully. I removed mine for aesthetic reasons and to save gas by being more aerodynamic. Don’t die laughing. With today’s gas prices I will try anything.
Don't any of you guys hate the look of no roof racks though? I have tried taking them off...but put them back on because I had the opinion that without them, it makes the car look really...plain. (don't know how else to put it)
Old 03-23-07, 10:49 PM
zombie
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

in my opinion i like my rx without the roof rack. kinda makes it look sporty like the cayenne or the cx-7.
Old 03-23-07, 11:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300s415
Don't any of you guys hate the look of no roof racks though? I have tried taking them off...but put them back on because I had the opinion that without them, it makes the car look really...plain. (don't know how else to put it)
Look can be subjective, ever think about why no current Lexus sedan has any roof rack and mud flaps and no one ever think they are plain?
Also have you think about how a RX look with paint peeling off the roof rack? That is plain ugly, I would rather take the roof rack off and mount it back on if I ever need it.
Old 03-24-07, 06:58 AM
ppcpilot
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips, guys..I didn't think that the stuff would really sit on the crossbars too well, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy and the luggage does sit directly on the roof, surrounded by the crossbars.
Old 03-24-07, 08:57 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ppcpilot
Thanks for the tips, guys..I didn't think that the stuff would really sit on the crossbars too well, but wanted to make sure that I wasn't crazy and the luggage does sit directly on the roof, surrounded by the crossbars.
Huh? Now i am confused
Old 03-24-07, 09:11 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

If you follow the changes in RX you would not be confused.

The Early Rx's had rubber strips on the roof and cross bars.

Guess what happened when ppl put luggage on the roof?

Lexus immidiately replaced the roof rack, with slats and cross bars so the weight gets trasferred to the sides.

Salim
Old 05-23-07, 12:13 PM
juicius
Driver School Candidate

I've had two RXs, both purchased used, and neither came with the factory rack. I guess I know why now. Any one of you guys who had taken the rack off want to sell them? I gotta make a long distance drive around Christmas time and while it's always been a tight fit with luggage and two dogs, now we have added a baby seat so something's gotta give.
Old 05-23-07, 03:08 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

If you follow our discusssion, the carrier can not hold much weight. I guess the dogs and baby are out of question to be on the top, specially in the winter time .

Seriously, If you want to carry weight, a small 2'x5' platform on the receiver hitch is the thing that comes to mind.

Salim
Old 05-23-07, 04:47 PM
bloo1987
Lead Lap

well, for me to aviod scratches and stuff. i use a campers shell on mine and lock it also. it is secure, safe, bug free, and weather free.
Old 05-23-07, 05:05 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Rooftop Cargo Boxes are cool:

Those are available from Sears and Amazon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: roof rack