RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

90KMileService&Charge

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 06:06 AM
cvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90KMileService&Charge

Hi, I am a newbie...I am facing an over charge problem with T Dealer in Tustin, CA. I would appreciate your advice for the over charge issue below. Thanks in advance for your help...
I brought my car in for 90K miles service and stalling problem (was told by service adviser the IACV could be the problem). The estimated cost $2900 for 90K service and IACV replacement with timing bell change. I thought the cost seems high, but I went ahead for it ( as the car was towed in per their advice) and requested they contact me once they get a diagnose from the machanic the problem with stalling the problem . (Note, I normally bring my car to independant dealer for routine maintenace, I thought this time the car may need a thorough check). The service adviser never call about the problem as I requested. I had to call a few times to find out status of the car, At the end of the next day, he called me back and told me a price tag of $3,400 for the 90K service, timing bell change and IACV replacement. I asked him to check his figure and he call back said it around $2,900.
I checked other dealers for 90K service cost with timing bell replacemnt included ranges from $900-$1100, water pump replacement cost around $380 and iACV replacement cost around $400.00, so the total price tag should be less than 2K. I spoke with couple managers at the dealer, requested that the charge be adjusted but got the same run around and pretty rude.
Old 03-21-07, 07:03 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So did you pay $2,900 or $3,400? Since you had agreed to the $2,900 price, you can't accuse them of jacking it up. Though I agree that the price seems high, but that's Lexus. Lexus oil change is $92 at my dealer.

I called around for my 90K service, all 3 Toyota/Lexus dealers quoted around $1,100. It's about the same as the quote you have received.
Old 03-21-07, 07:26 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The process for auto-repairs is much better than what happens to customers at other places ... as an example at dentists office.

The auto shop are required to tell you a figure in advance (usually the owner or authorized person signs off on a repair estimate). The shop can get further approvals over the phone (it may be listed as a fine print on the authorization to work). Conversely, at the dentist office, the customer/patient is presented the bill on the way out.

90K service is another NOT Clearly listed out work items. It can range from low $800 to $1900 ... depending on what gets done and who does it. [Again all the work and cost would have to have your authorization].

Extra repair again would have to be authorized by you. Dont know if towing is included in the bill or not but it can add another $100.

Delaer service will run you $20-$40 per hour more than other places. The 90K service (again depending upon minimum reccomended to extras) could have cost you $500-$800 more at dealership.

Then there could be a factual error in the itemized bill.

The problem you might be facing is that the dealership gave you a ball park number and you approved the repairs. If the bill is more than that, or if certain reapirs after being communicated to you were not performed then the invoice should be adjusted.

The sobering thing is that like any negotiations, the person who has the upperhand is at an advantage. In auto-repairs, the shop has an advantage once the customer authorizes the repairs (even if the repair was not needed/warranted). When you authorize the repair, you give the shop the mechanics lein.

If you can disassociate and make it less personal (Fern a fellow CL member knows how to do this well) try to settle the matter with the advisor, service manager, dealership manager and Lexus Customer service. Approach each in a professioanl manner and the minute you realize that you are getting into an argument, ask to meet the next person incharge. Give each person 2 days to collect pertiant fact about your case. [you may have to add an additonal day as you climb up the ladder]. Always leave a message stating expected answer date [in case you have to play tag]. Each time you go the next level, confirm with the operator if the the last guy was out sick/vacation. I would not wait indefinately at each level based on no-reponce.

Side comment: As a buyer/purchaser you always give vibes and the seller/supplier picks on these, some times correctly and some times incorrectly. For buyer it is always better to ensure the seller does not misunderstand him/her. Making a statement as "I want to keep the repair costs at minimum, so please do not reccomend extra service items".

Salim
Old 03-21-07, 07:35 AM
cvr
Driver School Candidate

The problem is that they charge timing bell replacement seperately when other dealers include this service in their package for the same $1100. I am frustrated that I did not have a chance to know what the problem with the installing was, no consulation or option s for selecting the service and got slapped with a $2900. I was told that the water pump was replaced but did they find anything wrong with it? My experience with the other service centers is they telll you what is wrong and if they need to do anything, they ask if you agree.
Old 03-21-07, 07:41 AM
cvr
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salimshah for your reply. I was quoted $120/hr at the dealership. Yes, I expect a little more at the dealer ship but not outrageous 1/3 over what it should be. I am disappointed how they handled the whole thing unprofessional and rude.
Old 03-21-07, 08:40 AM
anulex
Pole Position

yea the 90K service is HIGH. My problem is how the hell they can charge for the service and the timing belt seperately? Hoffman Lexus in CT does the same thing. If you know the RX needs a timing belt chang @ 90K, then y not include a price for total service?
Old 03-21-07, 01:19 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let this be a lesson to all

I ALWAYS put on the work order (right next to my signature) when I sign it blank " written estimate to be provided".

My service place always gives me attitude stating we always give you a written estimate, which I reply.... "Yah, always since I have been adding that to my signature!"

I would certainly ask the dealership why they as an authorized agent of the brand, have the canatchies (as my kid calls them) to charge more than their neighbouring Lexus dealerships... Certainly it isn't in an effort retain customers!

I would give you my thoughts on Lexus service but my flame suite is being drycleaned.