RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oh no ...my Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 01:13 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh no ...my Transmission

Please help…
Two days ago I noticed a buzzing sound from the engine bay, near the battery.
Yesterday on my way home I noticed some jerking between 2 & 3 gears and still had the same buzzing noise.
Today when I started my car and out it in D the buzz was still there but the car wont move…I switched to F, 2, L back to D and was able to move…I tried several times and basically the car was not engaging D so after several attempts I finally got it to move again and parked it in my garage.

I was able to trace the buzzing sound to the starter, looks like I need to change it but I doubt that it can cause my problems with the tranny, what do you think?

Also I checked the level and it was little more then a FULL mark for warm oil.

Last time the dealer changed the ATF and differential oils around 25K ago.

Also the fluid is still reddish color and I don’t think it’s burned.

My car is 2002 RX 300 with 56K 4x4

I will really appreciate any imput before I take it to the dealer/stealer.

Any ideal how much will a new transmission cost me???
Old 02-25-07, 06:36 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

I decided to buy new ATF oil + Filter from the dealer tomorrow and will try to do the change... do you think it might help?
Old 02-25-07, 07:40 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Try fixing one thing at a time.

Starter buzzing is very abnormal (once the starter has been released). If the starter is still connected to the flywheel, then transmission will have a problem.

Join the ongoing discussion on transmission.

Salim
Old 02-25-07, 07:45 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

Originally Posted by salimshah
Try fixing one thing at a time.

Starter buzzing is very abnormal (once the starter has been released). If the starter is still connected to the flywheel, then transmission will have a problem.

Join the ongoing discussion on transmission.

Salim
Sorry dont want to sound stupid but I am a noob in this thing...

The starter makes horrable buzzing sound almost all the time...I am not sure how it works but you saying that if I change the starter it might fix the not engaging transmission problem??? I thought that starter has nothing to do with the tranny?

Also I am not getting error codes for the tranny... no check engine light...
Old 02-26-07, 08:08 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

I just found out that my RX is still under Power Train Warranty untill October so hopefully they will be able to fix it without me paying $$$
Old 02-26-07, 08:33 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Starter when engaged spins the flywheel, which spins the engine. When you engage starter, interlock, ensures you are in park or neutral [engine is not spinning the transmission]

Engine when spining (with the starter disingaged) spins the transmission once you you move out of Park or Neutral.

If things go wrong the starter can remain engaged.

Good luck at the dealership.

Salim
Old 02-27-07, 05:31 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

Ok, so I drove my RX to the dealer and it died completely at their parking lot. The tranny wont shift into D at all so they pushed it inn and told me they will give me a call tomorrow...
Question: they charge me $95.00 for the diagnostic Why? The car wont move, what else you need to diagnose? Its still under powertrain warranty so I dont understand why should I pay for it?

Before bumper to bumper expired they did not charge any diagnostic fees???

Any one else paid that?
Old 02-27-07, 05:44 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Philly RX
Ok, so I drove my RX to the dealer and it died completely at their parking lot. The tranny wont shift into D at all so they pushed it inn and told me they will give me a call tomorrow...
Question: they charge me $95.00 for the diagnostic Why? The car wont move, what else you need to diagnose? Its still under powertrain warranty so I dont understand why should I pay for it?

Before bumper to bumper expired they did not charge any diagnostic fees???

Any one else paid that?
Diagnosis fee, is the techs labor time to figure out what is going on. Once he shares the information, you have a choice to walk (drive/tow) your vehicle to some other place. If you ask the dealrship to carry on with repairs, they would include the diagnosis fee as part of over-all labor.

If the problem is covered under warranty, then the dealrship will bill the responcible party. There may be funny money between the dealership and manufacturer.

You saved on the tow That would have been almost the same as diagnosis fee.

Salim.
Old 03-01-07, 05:44 PM
Philly RX
Rookie

Got a call from Lexus, car needs new tranny...thats crazy 2002 RX4x4 with only 60K last time Lexus changed transmission oil 22K ago.
Car was never abused...oh well at least I still had 4 month left on my powertrain warranty

Service advisor recomended to change the tranny fluid every 15K (thats just his opinion)
Old 03-01-07, 10:08 PM
skippy911
Driver

How much does a new trany cost? Just curious, with labor, parts, etc. THanks
Old 03-01-07, 10:48 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rx300 is notorious for having trannys going bad really early. my mechanic told me to get rid of my old rx300 quick before it needed a new one. i sold the car b4 the tranny went bad.
Old 03-01-07, 11:22 PM
skippy911
Driver

I'm thinking todo the same only problem is I only have 9k left to pay on the car. Lets say tranny goes bad and costs 4500 thats 13500 left to pay, I cant find any used or new car for 13500 that would even come close to being as nice as my rx300. What a dilema
Old 03-02-07, 07:26 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Philly RX
Got a call from Lexus, car needs new tranny...thats crazy 2002 RX4x4 with only 60K last time Lexus changed transmission oil 22K ago.
Car was never abused...oh well at least I still had 4 month left on my powertrain warranty

Service advisor recomended to change the tranny fluid every 15K (thats just his opinion)
Good that you have the warrnty to take care of it.

The only thing that irsk me is the Service advisor's comment. Help me understadn it.

A. By changing fluid more frequentlys (say 15Kmiles) one would never have transmission failure.

B. By examining the drained stuff, other preventitive action (undefined for now) could have been taken.

C. Even if you had changed the fluid before the reccomended interval (adjusted for environment), the same failure would still happen [internal part(s) break down]

D. <List your favourite>

As I said, due to lack of real information, I am leaning towards "C" at this time.

Salim
Old 03-02-07, 07:30 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by skippy911
I'm thinking todo the same only problem is I only have 9k left to pay on the car. Lets say tranny goes bad and costs 4500 thats 13500 left to pay, I cant find any used or new car for 13500 that would even come close to being as nice as my rx300. What a dilema
Are you being spooked by failures reported on the net? Do not determine the odds based on irate postings. If the percentage failure is less than .001 percent, who knows which is the 1/100000th vehicle

Salim
Old 03-02-07, 11:53 AM
skippy911
Driver

Of course I'm being spooked. I was at one site where about 30 different people of all years rx300 were reporting the transmission failure. Add to that my dark looking fluid, ive become more and more concerned. I know people never post to say omg my car runs like a champ and usually only post problems but still with 4k+ for a new transmission it has me very concerned. I don't even know if todo my drain and fill or transmission flush as I don't want the rx to be shocked or something :'(

Quick Reply: Oh no ...my Transmission