RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked Exhaust manifold part #

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 02:27 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cracked Exhaust manifold part #

Have a small crack in the manifold facing the front of the car and was wondering what the part # (& price) is for the 1999 Rx300 AWD

also wondering what the part number for the Camry (same engine) and price was

Dealer quoted me $420 CAD + tax removal and replace (they say that this price is the discounted price, due to the extent of repairs I have had done at there dealership). Must they keep reminding me

I can't figure the removal and reinstall of the manifold to take longer than 1 hour and as such why the crazy cost.

Is the front manifold really a $300 part? Why can't the manifold be welded?

I was contemplating taking it to an exhaust shop to comment on the welding but didn't want them damaging something in the process.

Input appreciated.
Old 02-21-07, 05:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had manifolds welded up before with good results, but it takes an experienced welder who is practiced at working with cast materials. I've since seen this done on industrial engines, where the welder ground the crack to produce a clean work surface, then heated the manifold with a rosebud until it was cherry-red (something over 850 degrees), and filled the crack using a special rod and an acetylene torch. Care has to be taken to prevent the manifold from warping during this heat-cool cycle, even clamping the work into a makeshift jig, but a good shop welder can do it and produce a beautiful result.

My hat's off to these guys, real artists in steel, not just the garden-variety "burners" that tack on a trailer hitch every few weeks, but the guys (and gals) who do this kind of work every day. Never facing the same job twice, their knowledge of metals, temperatures, and techniques is pretty incredible - and it's saved the career of a number of engineers I've known.
Old 02-21-07, 08:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I would also weld the thing,

My uncle welded this piece in question (lower piece in the middle) before I had it replaced last year with larger piping.

It would also not be hard to have a welder or exhaust shop remove said piece and install a small replacement section. An exhaust shop down here could do it for less than $75 USD easy or even less and steel pipe is cheap.

I have never actually seen the part number for this piece, though I have seen it mentioned over the years and the related issue.

As far as what damage you would do...absolutely none. It is nowhere near any sensors or catalytic converters.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Exhaust manifold part #-comparisonpipes.jpg  
Old 02-21-07, 09:34 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Plugging the leak is an approach one can take. Provided there is enough room to work or remove-weld-replace.

The only issue I have is that you will loose some flexibility. Same applies with severity when you replace with a solid piece. The flex part not only provide fitting margin but also provides shock/vibration isolation. Without it you may cause stress in the exhaust. If flex breaks at the weak point (controllable) and the rigid may break with undesireable side effects.

Some one mentioned that the flex tubing has been improved over time.

Salim
Old 02-21-07, 09:16 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

the independent muffler shop did mine with a honda style braided flex coupling for $95 total including the part. Looks great and so far has last a long time.
Old 02-21-07, 09:36 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

contact park place Lexus online in Texas, they have your manifold for $172.I have ordered parts from them and have been very pleasantly surprised at their prices.
Old 02-22-07, 12:29 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If I understand Fern's question properly he is referring to a crack in the exhaust manifold up near the engine. Lots of good advice here on repairing the headpipe and joints, but has anyone had experience with a cracked manifold?
Old 02-22-07, 04:27 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If I understand Fern's question properly he is referring to a crack in the exhaust manifold up near the engine. Lots of good advice here on repairing the headpipe and joints, but has anyone had experience with a cracked manifold?
Thanks Lil4X,

you beat me to it.

The key word here is EXHAUST "manifold" folks, not flexpipe or couplings..

I would remove it myself, if only I wasn't so scared of breaking bolts or the O2 sensor that might get damaged and the fact that I don't have the leverage working form above that a mechanic would working from below, while car is on a hoist.
Old 02-22-07, 07:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fern
Thanks Lil4X,

you beat me to it.

The key word here is EXHAUST "manifold" folks, not flexpipe or couplings..

I would remove it myself, if only I wasn't so scared of breaking bolts or the O2 sensor that might get damaged and the fact that I don't have the leverage working form above that a mechanic would working from below, while car is on a hoist.
I also had a crack on mine in this area, and we welded it shut.
Attached Thumbnails Cracked Exhaust manifold part #-img_1594.jpg  
Old 05-25-07, 03:20 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Hey Lexmex,

this might sound like a silly question but, did you have to remove the manifold to weld it?

If so, I'm just going to have mine replaced as the cost of the part is $288 and if the weld eventually goes bad, then I'm into the cost of labour 2x.

BTW mine cracked in the exact same spot at Lexmex's and my O2 sensor is giving me crazy driveabilility.
Old 05-25-07, 06:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Hey Lexmex,

this might sound like a silly question but, did you have to remove the manifold to weld it?

If so, I'm just going to have mine replaced as the cost of the part is $288 and if the weld eventually goes bad, then I'm into the cost of labour 2x.

BTW mine cracked in the exact same spot at Lexmex's and my O2 sensor is giving me crazy driveabilility.
Oh when my uncle welded it originally, we just jacked up the front and welded it in place.

The other photo you see is when we took the entire piece off at Hangar-1 and replaced it with wider piping for more power/better flow.
Old 05-25-07, 06:34 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Did you check the price of Lexus Plano Texas for the manifold????top of the morning to you all...
Old 05-25-07, 08:56 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a small crack in the manifold facing the front of the car and was wondering what the part # (& price) is for the 1999 Rx300 AWD

also wondering what the part number for the Camry (same engine) and price was

Dealer quoted me $420 CAD + tax removal and replace (they say that this price is the discounted price, due to the extent of repairs I have had done at there dealership). Must they keep reminding me

I can't figure the removal and reinstall of the manifold to take longer than 1 hour and as such why the crazy cost.

Is the front manifold really a $300 part? Why can't the manifold be welded?

I was contemplating taking it to an exhaust shop to comment on the welding but didn't want them damaging something in the process.

Input appreciated.
I would weld it.

MSRP is $207.50
$172.22 at Park Place Plano Lexus Parts (Texas)
$143.46 at Toyota of Dallas (Texas)
$143.46 at Lexus of Pembroke Pines (Florida)
$137.22 at Toyota of Hollywood (Florida)

I don't know the part number, but you can call or email any of them to figure that. You need to order online or you are paying MSRP ($207.50).
Exhaust Manifolds from 2002 Toyota Highlander 3.0 (not sure about Camry 3.0) will fit RX300. I would also replace the manifold gasket (~ $10-$20 at all dealers).